Why does Anthy dependon emacs? (was Re: japanese input method uim anth )

Why does Anthy dependon emacs? (was Re: japanese input method uim anth )

ben calvert

Your timing is excelent - i was literally just starting to look into
setting up japanese input on OpenBSD when this message came through.

However, I have a question for the maintaner ( ports@ ? )

Why does anthy depend on emacs?  On FreeBSD & Linux it certainly
doesn't, and I have no interest in compiling emacs for the next week
just to get anthy running ( yes, my machine is slow.  I spilled
beer in the other one )

Thanks,

Ben

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:57:00 +0900
LinuxUser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi , all .
>
> i express heartly thanks for the man who Add uim anthy to ports
> <http://ports.openbsd.nu/manageaccount.php?item=3083> .
> i now input japanese on konqueror .
>
> i simply write down my doing .
>

> /etc/rc.local
> -------------------
> echo -n 'starting local daemons:'
> echo '.'
> /usr/local/sbin/cupsd
>

> .xinitrc
> --------------------------------------
> export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
> export LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP
> export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.eucJP
> uim-xim &
> startkde
>

> # pkg_info
> uim-1.2.1p1 multilingual input method library
> anthy-7900p1 japanese input method
>

> the example is on the last part on http://nakajin.dyndns.org/40.html .
> again i express thanks to openbsd .
> ----------------------------------
> takesima

-----
   Calvin: Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my
thoughts. I wonder why we think faster than we speak.  Hobbes: Probably
so we can think twice.

Re: Why does Anthy dependon emacs? (was Re: japanese input method

ben calvert
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 14:20:12 +0900
[hidden email] (Mathieu Sauve-Frankel) wrote:

> You will notice that emacs is only a BUILD_DEPENDS. It is needed to
> build the anthy module for emacs. The ports tree is intended for
> BUILDING PACKAGES. If you are not "interested" to install what is
> required in order to build the packages, then by all means install
> the binary package, it does not depend on emacs.

I can't, as the machine used to build powerpc packages is currently off-
line, so there is no package for my arch.

Instead, As I percieve an obvious need to seperate anthy out from anthy-
emacs i'll work on hacking the port so emacs isn't a build dependency.

Unless someone else gets there first ( my previous message was a poorly-
managed attempt to determine if someone was already doing this )

> --
> Mathieu Sauve-Frankel

Ben