Where to get Loongson hardware?

Christopher Intemann-2
With the recent security issues in Intel CPUs in mind I'm curious how to
get hands on Loongson hardware? There seems to be an active OpenBSD
release, but only for older hardware while a newer, more macbook-like
Loongson netbook seems to exist as well.
Is there still any active development in Loongson hardware and the
corresponding release at
https://www.openbsd.org/loongson.html ?
Wikipedia doesn't help much and I couldn't find hardware distributors
either.
Thank you in advance.

Chris

Re: Where to get Loongson hardware?

Otto Moerbeek
On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 09:31:11AM +0100, Christopher Intemann wrote:

> With the recent security issues in Intel CPUs in mind I'm curious how to
> get hands on Loongson hardware? There seems to be an active OpenBSD
> release, but only for older hardware while a newer, more macbook-like
> Loongson netbook seems to exist as well.
> Is there still any active development in Loongson hardware and the
> corresponding release at
> https://www.openbsd.org/loongson.html ?
> Wikipedia doesn't help much and I couldn't find hardware distributors
> either.
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Chris

Some time ago the macbook-like model could be purched with tekmote.nl
but was insanely expensive. At the moment tekmote.nl is no more.
Loongson hardware is basically impossible to get, at least in Europe.

        -Otto

Re: Where to get Loongson hardware?

x9p-2

On Mon, January 8, 2018 6:53 am, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> Some time ago the macbook-like model could be purched with tekmote.nl
> but was insanely expensive. At the moment tekmote.nl is no more.
> Loongson hardware is basically impossible to get, at least in Europe.
>
> -Otto

Cannot be found even on aliexpress.com - probably asking a folk traveling over China to bring
one may be a good idea.

If I recall well, Stallman has one and is ok with it.

cheers.

--
x9p | PGP : 0x03B50AF5EA4C8D80 / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE

"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring." - David Bowie

Re: Where to get Loongson hardware?

Marcus MERIGHI
[hidden email] (x9p), 2018.01.08 (Mon) 12:00 (CET):

> On Mon, January 8, 2018 6:53 am, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> > Some time ago the macbook-like model could be purched with tekmote.nl
> > but was insanely expensive. At the moment tekmote.nl is no more.
> > Loongson hardware is basically impossible to get, at least in Europe.
> >
> > -Otto
>
> Cannot be found even on aliexpress.com - probably asking a folk
> traveling over China to bring one may be a good idea.
>
> If I recall well, Stallman has one and is ok with it.

Just happened to recall kd85.com.

http://lemote.kd85.com/

But honestly I just got confused by this website.

Marcus

Re: Where to get Loongson hardware?

Peter N. M. Hansteen-3
On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 12:47:39PM +0100, Marcus MERIGHI wrote:
> Just happened to recall kd85.com.
>
> http://lemote.kd85.com/
>
> But honestly I just got confused by this website.

The landing page there has a "2013 update" part, which makes me thing that
it's probably wise to check beforehand by email or somesuch just how current
the information is.

But if the hardware is actually available, it would be quite interesting to
play with something very not-intel.

- P

Re: Where to get Loongson hardware?

Otto Moerbeek
On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 12:47:39PM +0100, Marcus MERIGHI wrote:

> [hidden email] (x9p), 2018.01.08 (Mon) 12:00 (CET):
> >
> > On Mon, January 8, 2018 6:53 am, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> > > Some time ago the macbook-like model could be purched with tekmote.nl
> > > but was insanely expensive. At the moment tekmote.nl is no more.
> > > Loongson hardware is basically impossible to get, at least in Europe.
> > >
> > > -Otto
> >
> > Cannot be found even on aliexpress.com - probably asking a folk
> > traveling over China to bring one may be a good idea.
> >
> > If I recall well, Stallman has one and is ok with it.
>
> Just happened to recall kd85.com.
>
> http://lemote.kd85.com/
>
> But honestly I just got confused by this website.
>
> Marcus

https://encrypted.kd85.com/lemote.html

this page (with expired certificate as well) lists all models as out
of stock.

        -Otto

Re: Where to get Loongson hardware?

Freddy Fisker
Here is a link: http://zkml.lemote.com/en/

On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 02:11:52PM +0100, Freddy Fisker wrote:

> Here is a link: http://zkml.lemote.com/en/

yeah, but this actually gives no clue how to buy the products. Plus it
lists only pretty old models.

        -Otto

Re: Where to get Loongson hardware?

Ingo Schwarze

Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote on Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 01:12:40PM +0100:
> On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 12:47:39PM +0100, Marcus MERIGHI wrote:

>> Just happened to recall kd85.com.
>>
>> http://lemote.kd85.com/
>>
>> But honestly I just got confused by this website.

> The landing page there has a "2013 update" part, which makes me thing
> that it's probably wise to check beforehand by email or somesuch just
> how current the information is.

The owner of that site, Wim Vandeputte, tried to steal many thousands
of Euros of donation money from OpenBSD about ten years ago.  When
i questioned him in 2009 about a donation i had made via him in
2007, he initially claimed to have forwarded that money to Theo de
Raadt, but when asked for proof of payment, he didn't produce any
but instead chose to send the same 2000 Euro back to me, plus 120
Euro interest for 18 months.  At least one other person also got a
donation of 6500 Euro refunded in the same way.  At some point aound
or after 2009, Wim lost interest in OpenBSD and i never heard from
him again.

Even though i always received all merchandise i ordered from him
before 2009, in the light of the above facts, i would still recommend
against doing business with him.

Yours,
  Ingo

Re: Where to get Loongson hardware?

Freddy Fisker
This is the business partners: http://zkml.lemote.com/en/about/contact/

It is years since I was using the Fuloong Mini-PC

On Monday, 8 January 2018 15:20:13 CET, Otto Moerbeek wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 02:11:52PM +0100, Freddy Fisker wrote:
>
>> Here is a link: http://zkml.lemote.com/en/
>
> yeah, but this actually gives no clue how to buy the products. Plus it
> lists only pretty old models.
>
> -Otto

Re: Where to get Loongson hardware?

tinkr
On Mon, January 8, 2018 6:53 am, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> Some time ago the macbook-like model could be purched with tekmote.nl
> but was insanely expensive. At the moment tekmote.nl is no more.

What I understand is that their recent effords are miniITX/microATX/ATX motherboards with onboard CPU and DDR3 slots, I think they do ECC now.

On Mon, January 8, 2018 12:00, x9p wrote:
> Cannot be found even on aliexpress.com - probably asking a folk traveling over China to bring
> one may be a good idea.

Presented at http://www.lemote.com/ . Products in the menu to the left at http://www.lemote.com/html/product/ .

Lemote motherboards were found on www.taobao.com recently but I can't reproduce that search today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loongson also says http://www.topstartech.cn/ offers two models by the names TEB-6040M and TEB-5040 however those are not listed on their web page.

Yea share if they clarify anything.

Re: Where to get Loongson hardware?

Diana Eichert
On Mon, 8 Jan 2018, [hidden email] wrote:
SNIP
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loongson also says http://www.topstartech.cn/ offers two models by the names TEB-6040M and TEB-5040 however those are not listed on their web page.
>
> Yea share if they clarify anything.

Both of them are still listed on Topstar tech website I have up in my
browser.
Does not mean you can buy them.  Though being China, if you ordered qty
1000 they might due a production run for you.  ;-)

diana

On Mon, January 8, 2018 9:29 pm, Diana Eichert wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jan 2018, [hidden email] wrote:
> SNIP
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loongson also says http://www.topstartech.cn/ offers two
>> models by the names TEB-6040M and TEB-5040 however those are not listed on their web page.
>>
>> Yea share if they clarify anything.
>
> Both of them are still listed on Topstar tech website I have up in my
> browser.
> Does not mean you can buy them.  Though being China, if you ordered qty
> 1000 they might due a production run for you.  ;-)
>

> diana

some servers are being advertised by a "tensend" with latest 3A3000 loongson, in taobao.
query was "loongson 3A3000"

70% performance on x86 emulation looks ok

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.11.7cb4e52flecAZa&id=558807796437&ns=1&abbucket=17#detail

1800usd, shipped with fedora

cheers.