Where is the release of 5.6 for ARMv7 targets?

Where is the release of 5.6 for ARMv7 targets?

Edwin Amsler
Is there an official reason why ARMv7 was excluded from the 5.6 release? I’ve got my assumptions, but I’d like to know if it was a conscious decision or not.

Just curiosity.

Thanks,

Edwin

Re: Where is the release of 5.6 for ARMv7 targets?

Karel Dingeldey
On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 07:23PM, Edwin Amsler wrote:

> Is there an official reason why ARMv7 was excluded from the 5.6 release?
> I've got my assumptions, but I'd like to know if it was a conscious decision or not.

Hi Edwin,

did you receive any feedback on your question? What assumption would that be?

I'm thinking about using OpenBSD on my BeagleBone Black devices, but
since 5.6 did not get any armv7 support (without any obvious official
statement given), I'm wondering if that would be a wise decision right now.
Even if 5.7 in May appears with it, can I presume that the coming releases
will all support armv7?!

Wondering what you think about it.

Kind regards
Karel

________________________________

This e-mail (and any attachments) contains information which is intended solely for the attention of the person to whom it has been sent. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorised to copy, distribute or use it for any purpose or disclose the contents to any person. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately at [hidden email] and delete this e-mail from your systems. NTT Europe makes no warranty that this message is error or virus free. Any comments or opinions expressed are those of the originator not of NTT Europe Ltd. unless otherwise expressly stated. NTT Europe Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 2307625. Registered Address: 3rd Floor, Devon House, 58-60 St. Katharine's Way, London, E1W 1LB, UK.

Re: Where is the release of 5.6 for ARMv7 targets?

mbregg
On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 7:59 AM, Karel Dingeldey <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 07:23PM, Edwin Amsler wrote:
>
> > Is there an official reason why ARMv7 was excluded from the 5.6 release?
> > I've got my assumptions, but I'd like to know if it was a conscious
> decision or not.
>
> Hi Edwin,
>
> did you receive any feedback on your question? What assumption would that
> be?
>
> I'm thinking about using OpenBSD on my BeagleBone Black devices, but
> since 5.6 did not get any armv7 support (without any obvious official
> statement given), I'm wondering if that would be a wise decision right now.
> Even if 5.7 in May appears with it, can I presume that the coming releases
> will all support armv7?!
>
> Wondering what you think about it.
>
> Kind regards
> Karel

Hi,

I'm running a 5.7 snapshot from February on my BeagleBone Black (I haven't
updated to the latest one from yesterday yet), and it runs quite well.  As
with most OpenBSD snapshots, it's extremely stable and I haven't had any
issues.  The only downside is having to build from ports, but now that we
can install the OS to the internal 4gb flash, building ports is not nearly
as painful as it is on a microSD card (even a class10 card is worlds slower
than the internal flash).

Whatever the reason for excluding armv7 support from 5.6, it seems it will
be in 5.7 anyway.

Regards,
Mike

Re: Where is the release of 5.6 for ARMv7 targets?

Fred
On 03/11/15 13:59, Karel Dingeldey wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 07:23PM, Edwin Amsler wrote:
>
>> Is there an official reason why ARMv7 was excluded from the 5.6 release?
>> I've got my assumptions, but I'd like to know if it was a conscious decision or not.
>
> Hi Edwin,
>
> did you receive any feedback on your question? What assumption would that be?
>
> I'm thinking about using OpenBSD on my BeagleBone Black devices, but
> since 5.6 did not get any armv7 support (without any obvious official
> statement given), I'm wondering if that would be a wise decision right now.
> Even if 5.7 in May appears with it, can I presume that the coming releases
> will all support armv7?!
>
> Wondering what you think about it.
>
> Kind regards
> Karel

bbb:fred ~> uname -a; dmesg |head -4
OpenBSD bbb.crowsons.com 5.7 GENERIC-OMAP#15 armv7
OpenBSD 5.7-beta (GENERIC-OMAP) #15: Wed Feb 25 15:10:42 AEDT 2015
     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/armv7/compile/GENERIC-OMAP
real mem  = 536870912 (512MB)
avail mem = 518791168 (494MB)
bbb:fred ~>

My beagle bone black is working with OpenBSD, as shown above.

There is on going development on armv7, but it is not getting much
developer time, I believe that it was felt that it is in need of further
development to be brought up to release standard.

I don't have the skills to improve the port, but I do run it successfully.

hth

Fred

Re: Where is the release of 5.6 for ARMv7 targets?

Edwin Amsler
Well, lots of the OpenBSD ARM hackers are spending lots of time on Bitrig. I've ported only one feature over to Open, but both side seem happy to share code.

--
Edwin (on the move)