When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

1234 ... 6

When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Clark Block
In 2019 still there is not a great desktop experience for NetBSD. However,
the new "OS108" is seeking to improve this with a NetBSD operating system
paired with the MATE desktop environment.
So, OS108, a derivative of NetBSD, has just been released:
https://os108.org/?ez_cid=CLIENT_ID(AMP_ECID_EZOIC)

When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Tom Smyth
Can you define "great desktop experience"  ?

what window managers have you tried on OpenBSD,
there are are a few included in base..and you can also load more with
pkg_add

for ease of use  / transitioning from windows ..I find xfce quite nice...

All the Best,
Tom Smyth

--
Kindest regards,
Tom Smyth.

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Steve Litt
On Tue, 7 May 2019 02:01:34 -0300
Clark Block <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In 2019 still there is not a great desktop experience for NetBSD.
> However, the new "OS108" is seeking to improve this with a NetBSD
> operating system paired with the MATE desktop environment.
> So, OS108, a derivative of NetBSD, has just been released:
> https://os108.org/?ez_cid=CLIENT_ID(AMP_ECID_EZOIC)
>
> When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Are you a touch typist, and do you type more than 25 words per minute.
Typing skills are a big determinate of what a great desktop experience
is or isn't.

SteveT

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Solene Rapenne
On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 02:01:34AM -0300, Clark Block wrote:
> In 2019 still there is not a great desktop experience for NetBSD. However,
> the new "OS108" is seeking to improve this with a NetBSD operating system
> paired with the MATE desktop environment.
> So, OS108, a derivative of NetBSD, has just been released:
> https://os108.org/?ez_cid=CLIENT_ID(AMP_ECID_EZOIC)
>
> When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

"Great desktop experience" is subjective, and the current state is
enough for me for example.

I don't really see how adding a window manager this can improve the
"desktop experience" though.

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Clark Block
Great desktop experience for OpenBSD is a user-friendly and easy-to-use
variant of OpenBSD!

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Denis Fondras
> user-friendly and easy-to-use

Sounds like the exact description of current OpenBSD...

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
On 5/7/19 7:01 AM, Clark Block wrote:

> In 2019 still there is not a great desktop experience for NetBSD. However,

As others have noted, what constitutes "a great desktop experience" is a
highly subjective matter. One person's great desktop experience could
very well be another's living hell of blinkenlights and clickythings.

That said, one of the things that NetBSD and OpenBSD have in common is
that they support quite a number of platforms, some of which were not
back in the day designed for graphics-heavy desktop use.

The OpenBSD installer works the same on all platforms, and is most loved
for such things as presenting sane defaults, offering up the data needed
for an automated install the next time around, and the recently
introduced automatic upgrade (sysupgrade, available in snapshots now).

Once the install is completed with the default values, a very basic X
desktop is available and may even start automatically if you told the
installer you wanted that. Getting other desktop environments such as
Gnome, Xfce or others up and running is mainly a matter of pkg_add and
perhaps doing what the package readmes or/and the messages at the end of
pkg_add runs tell you to.

If your version of "a great desktop experience" is something like what
you point to, building and maintaining such a beast would incur extra
effort on the part of developers for code that is useful to perhaps a
largish number of users but in fact very few of the platforms the
project wants to support as fully as possible.

> When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

All the bits you need are there already. It's mainly a matter of a few
pkg_add commands.

- Peter

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Jan Stary
On May 07 09:03:06, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 5/7/19 7:01 AM, Clark Block wrote:
> > In 2019 still there is not a great desktop experience for NetBSD. However,
>
> As others have noted, what constitutes "a great desktop experience" is a
> highly subjective matter. One person's great desktop experience could
> very well be another's living hell of blinkenlights and clickythings.
>
> That said, one of the things that NetBSD and OpenBSD have in common is
> that they support quite a number of platforms, some of which were not
> back in the day designed for graphics-heavy desktop use.

And even there, everything works just fine:
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=136500465604928&w=2

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

John Long-4
On Tue, 7 May 2019 08:47:18 +0200
Denis Fondras <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > user-friendly and easy-to-use
> >

> Sounds like the exact description of current OpenBSD...

+1000000

This is exactly why I like and use it.

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Christopher Turkel
This is a webpage I used to install Xfce.
https://sohcahtoa.org.uk/openbsd.html

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 6:22 AM John Long <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 May 2019 08:47:18 +0200
> Denis Fondras <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > user-friendly and easy-to-use
> > >

> > Sounds like the exact description of current OpenBSD...
>
> +1000000
>
> This is exactly why I like and use it.

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Frank Haun
On Tue, 7 May 2019 10:14:33 +0000, John Long wrote:

> On Tue, 7 May 2019 08:47:18 +0200
> Denis Fondras <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> > user-friendly and easy-to-use
>> >

>> Sounds like the exact description of current OpenBSD...
>
> +1000000
>
> This is exactly why I like and use it.

+1

Frank
--
OpenBSD orion.ka10.de 6.5 ORION#1 amd64
 2:50PM  up 12 days,  1:30, 5 users, load averages: 0.17, 0.17, 0.12
[Experimental Blog: http://ka10.de/~frank/]

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Karel Gardas
On 5/7/19 8:41 AM, Clark Block wrote:
> Great desktop experience for OpenBSD is a user-friendly and easy-to-use
> variant of OpenBSD!

Oh, and I've had a hope that you will be talking about OpenBSD
scheduler, POSIX threading implementation and what to do with it to make
it "great desktop experience" which I probably just translates to "great
web browser experience" subconsciously ...
My bad.

Anyway, from what I've seen in several Linux distros, FreeBSD and NetBSD
I've needed to install recently, OpenBSD wins clearly in user-friendly
and easy-to-use terms -- at least for me.

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Christopher Turkel
I use OpenBSD as my daily driver as my desktop OS. It really is the easiest
OS I've ever used because of the wealth of documentation, everything is in
the man pages, with examples, plus so many resources on the web. When I use
any other OS I am always amazed how complicated they are.

On 5/7/19 11:11 AM, Jan Stary wrote:

>> That said, one of the things that NetBSD and OpenBSD have in common is
>> that they support quite a number of platforms, some of which were not
>> back in the day designed for graphics-heavy desktop use.
> And even there, everything works just fine:
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=136500465604928&w=2

yes, it definitely works. I do think it's somewhat at a remove from what
the original poster had in mind though :)

- P

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Mike Coddington
On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 10:06:19AM -0400, Christopher Turkel wrote:
> When I use
> any other OS I am always amazed how complicated they are.

This statement encapsulates why I like OpenBSD the best. I'm 40 and I've
got a five-year-old at home. When I need to use the computer, I'm
looking to get stuff done fast and be done with it. OpenBSD doesn't
demand too much of my time and it doesn't surprise me. That's the sort
of thing I look for these days. (I use my old Mac Mini if I ever have to
do things with proprietary junk. That doesn't happen very often.)

--
Put your Nose to the Grindstone!
                -- Amalgamated Plastic Surgeons and Toolmakers, Ltd.

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Henry Bonath
I'll respond directly here as I recognize you from another mailing
list we both are on :-)

This is *my* desktop of choice on OpenBSD:
https://sourceforge.net/p/cdesktopenv/wiki/OpenBSDBuild/

Why mess with something less tried or true?

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 8:19 AM Christopher Turkel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a webpage I used to install Xfce.
> https://sohcahtoa.org.uk/openbsd.html
>
> On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 6:22 AM John Long <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Sounds like the exact description of current OpenBSD...
> >
> > +1000000
> >
> > This is exactly why I like and use it.

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Flipchan
Awesome wm no more words needed

On May 7, 2019 7:01:34 AM GMT+02:00, Clark Block <[hidden email]> wrote:
>In 2019 still there is not a great desktop experience for NetBSD.
>However,
>the new "OS108" is seeking to improve this with a NetBSD operating
>system
>paired with the MATE desktop environment.
>So, OS108, a derivative of NetBSD, has just been released:
>https://os108.org/?ez_cid=CLIENT_ID(AMP_ECID_EZOIC)
>
>When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Clark Block
Was developed the Isotop:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BSD/comments/8of042/isotop_french_desktoporiented_openbsd_distro/

https://3hg.fr/Isos/isotop/

The Isotop is really  a user-friendly and easy-to-use
variant of OpenBSD or is foolish?

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Otto Moerbeek
On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 02:01:34AM -0300, Clark Block wrote:

> In 2019 still there is not a great desktop experience for NetBSD. However,
> the new "OS108" is seeking to improve this with a NetBSD operating system
> paired with the MATE desktop environment.
> So, OS108, a derivative of NetBSD, has just been released:
> https://os108.org/?ez_cid=CLIENT_ID(AMP_ECID_EZOIC)
>
> When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Sigh,

We make what we think is good. If you think otherwise, you're free to
create whatever from what we produce. We even include all kind of
tools and packaged software to build something with OpenBSD as a base.

Go do it instead of trying to tell us what to do.

        -Otto

Re: When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?

Kent Watsen
Probably not what the OP is looking for, but `tmux` is my current "window manager" of choice  ;)

K.

> On May 7, 2019, at 2:01 PM, Otto Moerbeek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 02:01:34AM -0300, Clark Block wrote:
>
>> In 2019 still there is not a great desktop experience for NetBSD. However,
>> the new "OS108" is seeking to improve this with a NetBSD operating system
>> paired with the MATE desktop environment.
>> So, OS108, a derivative of NetBSD, has just been released:
>> https://os108.org/?ez_cid=CLIENT_ID(AMP_ECID_EZOIC)
>>
>> When will be created a great desktop experience for OpenBSD?
>
> Sigh,
>
> We make what we think is good. If you think otherwise, you're free to
> create whatever from what we produce. We even include all kind of
> tools and packaged software to build something with OpenBSD as a base.
>
> Go do it instead of trying to tell us what to do.
>
> -Otto

1234 ... 6