What's needed for an "iOS proxyserver".

chefren
With any iPhone/iPad/iPod touch that has WiFi you can set up a "HTTP Poxy"

(Within WiFi settings: Just click on the blue dot with ">" in it behind the connected WiFi
Network name and scroll down.)

The options are: {Off | Manual | Auto}.

"Manual" asks for Server, Port and Authentication {on|off}, with Authentication on you are
asked for Username and Password.

"Auto" option just asks for URL.

Has anyone set this up with OpenBSD?

+++chefren

Re: What's needed for an "iOS proxyserver".

Stuart Henderson
On 2011-05-30, chefren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> With any iPhone/iPad/iPod touch that has WiFi you can set up a "HTTP Poxy"
>
> (Within WiFi settings: Just click on the blue dot with ">" in it behind the connected WiFi
> Network name and scroll down.)
>
> The options are: {Off | Manual | Auto}.
>
> "Manual" asks for Server, Port and Authentication {on|off}, with Authentication on you are
> asked for Username and Password.
>
> "Auto" option just asks for URL.
>

> Has anyone set this up with OpenBSD?

No iOS devices here, but this is probably just a standard http proxy,
so you could probably use squid for it. "manual" would want the hostname
and port number (typically 3128 for squid). "auto" would want a url to
a pac file.

Re: What's needed for an "iOS proxyserver".

Paul de Weerd
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:06:04AM +0200, chefren wrote:
| "Manual" asks for Server, Port and Authentication {on|off}, with Authentication on you are
| asked for Username and Password.
|
| "Auto" option just asks for URL.

This URL should be reachable without a proxy and should contain a
PAC file.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config for more
details.  The real kicker would be setting option 252 in your dhcpd
config (See article on WPAD that the previous URL links to), but I've
never done that on OpenBSD.

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/