What java port for konqueror?

Dave Feustel
I finally need to activate Java support for Konqueror,
but it appears that Java is not by default part of KDE
or included in OpenBSD. What port/package(s) do I
need for java  to work with konqueror on OpenBSD?

Thanks,
Dave Feustel
--
Switch to Secure OpenBSD with a KDE desktop!!!
NOW with Virtual PC OS support via QEMU and
Beowulf clustering using PETSc and MPICH2!

Re: What java port for konqueror?

Vladas Urbonas
On 11/27/05, Dave Feustel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I finally need to activate Java support for Konqueror,
> but it appears that Java is not by default part of KDE
> or included in OpenBSD. What port/package(s) do I
> need for java  to work with konqueror on OpenBSD?

All in /usr/ports/devel/jdk/*.

Regards.

> Thanks,
> Dave Feustel
> --
> Switch to Secure OpenBSD with a KDE desktop!!!
> NOW with Virtual PC OS support via QEMU and
> Beowulf clustering using PETSc and MPICH2!

Re: What java port for konqueror?

steven mestdagh
On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 05:45:37PM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:
> I finally need to activate Java support for Konqueror,
> but it appears that Java is not by default part of KDE
> or included in OpenBSD. What port/package(s) do I
> need for java  to work with konqueror on OpenBSD?

You are in for some compile time and probably want to start reading
this article:
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq13.html#javaflash

I don't use KDE and did not test konqueror. Note that the info on the
KDE base package says you need to explicitly enable Java.
Let us know if it works...

--
steven

On Saturday 26 November 2005 19:08, steven mestdagh wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 05:45:37PM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:
> > I finally need to activate Java support for Konqueror,
> > but it appears that Java is not by default part of KDE
> > or included in OpenBSD. What port/package(s) do I
> > need for java  to work with konqueror on OpenBSD?
>
> You are in for some compile time and probably want to start reading
> this article:
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq13.html#javaflash
>
> I don't use KDE and did not test konqueror. Note that the info on the
> KDE base package says you need to explicitly enable Java.
> Let us know if it works...

Steve.

Thanks very much for the URL. Reading it reminds me why I haven't
tried to use Java on OpenBSD before. I have a slow 800MHz system
so I'm not sure I want to even bother trying to build Java; I have a
lot of other projects to work on that are likely to be more useful.

Dave

--
Switch to Secure OpenBSD with a KDE desktop!!!
NOW with Virtual PC OS support via QEMU and
Beowulf clustering using PETSc and MPICH2!

Re: What java port for konqueror?

Marc Espie-2
On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 05:45:37PM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:
> I finally need to activate Java support for Konqueror,
> but it appears that Java is not by default part of KDE
> or included in OpenBSD. What port/package(s) do I
> need for java  to work with konqueror on OpenBSD?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave Feustel

grab a jdk (devel/jdk/1.4 or 1.5).

Beware that konqueror's java support is not really good. Among other things,
the reparenting of windows does not work correctly unless you happen to
also be using kwin, the window manager of KDE...

On Sunday 27 November 2005 06:28, Marc Espie wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 05:45:37PM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:
> > I finally need to activate Java support for Konqueror,
> > but it appears that Java is not by default part of KDE
> > or included in OpenBSD. What port/package(s) do I
> > need for java  to work with konqueror on OpenBSD?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave Feustel
>
> grab a jdk (devel/jdk/1.4 or 1.5).
>
> Beware that konqueror's java support is not really good. Among other things,
> the reparenting of windows does not work correctly unless you happen to
> also be using kwin, the window manager of KDE...

Thanks for the tip, Marc.