What is the best supported framebuffer for sparc64?

What is the best supported framebuffer for sparc64?

William Schaub
I have recently installed OpenBSD 4.7 on my SunBlade 2000 with an
XVR-500 framebuffer.
The documentation lead me to believe that the XVR-500 as decently
supported but that
appears to not be the case. It only does about 7bpp and does not have
much in the way of
acceleration. After looking at the driver I found out that nobody will
release the hardware
info for this card  so i gave up on it.

I ended up ripping an Elite3D card out of an old Ultra 10 and  that at
least gives me 24bpp
but there are still lots of problems with it (all OpenGL looks like a
photo negative,
rdesktop displays in reversed color as well)

I'm guessing one of the ATI chipset based cards would be better
supported over all
so what I want to know is which card is the best performing and best
supported currently
on the sparc64 port of OpenBSD so that i can just buy that card and have
X working 100%.

I mainly use this machine as my primary deskop and want to view movies
in mplayer ocasionally
but would like to be able to do decent 3D acceleration as well.

Re: What is the best supported framebuffer for sparc64?

Matthieu Herrb
On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 10:15:46AM -0400, William Schaub wrote:

> I have recently installed OpenBSD 4.7 on my SunBlade 2000 with an
> XVR-500 framebuffer.
> The documentation lead me to believe that the XVR-500 as decently
> supported but that
> appears to not be the case. It only does about 7bpp and does not
> have much in the way of
> acceleration. After looking at the driver I found out that nobody
> will release the hardware
> info for this card  so i gave up on it.
>

> I ended up ripping an Elite3D card out of an old Ultra 10 and  that
> at least gives me 24bpp
> but there are still lots of problems with it (all OpenGL looks like
> a photo negative,
> rdesktop displays in reversed color as well)
>
> I'm guessing one of the ATI chipset based cards would be better
> supported over all
> so what I want to know is which card is the best performing and best
> supported currently
> on the sparc64 port of OpenBSD so that i can just buy that card and
> have X working 100%.
>
> I mainly use this machine as my primary deskop and want to view
> movies in mplayer ocasionally
> but would like to be able to do decent 3D acceleration as well.

Honestly, given your specifications, none of the sparc64 framebuffers
is going to give you satisfaction.

There is no accelerated 3D support, and no reasonable Xvideo support
on any of them for now, mostly because lack of developper support
(most of the upstreams X.Org developpers don't care about non Linux,
non x86 hardware).

For your goals any cheap 2nd hand reasonably recent (less than 4 years
old) i386 or amd64 based machine is going to give you a better desktop
experience. pick up a r300 based radeon graphics card for both 3D and
XVideo support.

Or prepare to invest some time and energy working with oga@ and
kettenis@ to improve the support for sparc64 framebuffers in
OpenBSD.
Matthieu Herrb

Matthieu Herrb wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 10:15:46AM -0400, William Schaub wrote:
>> I have recently installed OpenBSD 4.7 on my SunBlade 2000 with an
>> XVR-500 framebuffer.
>> The documentation lead me to believe that the XVR-500 as decently
>> supported but that
>> appears to not be the case. It only does about 7bpp and does not
>> have much in the way of
>> acceleration. After looking at the driver I found out that nobody
>> will release the hardware
>> info for this card  so i gave up on it.
>>

>> I ended up ripping an Elite3D card out of an old Ultra 10 and  that
>> at least gives me 24bpp
>> but there are still lots of problems with it (all OpenGL looks like
>> a photo negative,
>> rdesktop displays in reversed color as well)
>>
>> I'm guessing one of the ATI chipset based cards would be better
>> supported over all
>> so what I want to know is which card is the best performing and best
>> supported currently
>> on the sparc64 port of OpenBSD so that i can just buy that card and
>> have X working 100%.
>>
>> I mainly use this machine as my primary deskop and want to view
>> movies in mplayer ocasionally
>> but would like to be able to do decent 3D acceleration as well.
>
> Honestly, given your specifications, none of the sparc64 framebuffers
> is going to give you satisfaction.
>
> There is no accelerated 3D support, and no reasonable Xvideo support
> on any of them for now, mostly because lack of developper support
> (most of the upstreams X.Org developpers don't care about non Linux,
> non x86 hardware).

Actually on my Ultra 10 with mach64 onboard video the Xvideo extension
loads and does actually work. and I know there is at least one
framebuffer (I think its the XVR-100 that is based on a radeon chipset.
) and I think those drivers borrow from the PC drivers for the same but
I can't verify for anything other than the mach64 driver on my Ultra 10.

Oddly enough the Xorg mach64 driver drives the display better than
Solaris ever did. (but I don't think sun ever bothered to do much with
that low end graphics option in their drivers)

> For your goals any cheap 2nd hand reasonably recent (less than 4 years
> old) i386 or amd64 based machine is going to give you a better desktop
> experience. pick up a r300 based radeon graphics card for both 3D and
> XVideo support.
>
> Or prepare to invest some time and energy working with oga@ and
> kettenis@ to improve the support for sparc64 framebuffers in
> OpenBSD.

I don't mind helping to make the sparc64 port better but writing drivers
is a bit beyond me. I would be glad to help out in any way I can though.