What about the IBM POWER7 and POWER8 platforms, did anyone ever think about porting these to OpenBSD?

What about the IBM POWER7 and POWER8 platforms, did anyone ever think about porting these to OpenBSD?

Tinker
Hi,

Reading through all docs and email archives for OpenBSD, I cannot find a
single mentioning of the IBM POWER processors, e.g., the POWER7 such as
IBM Power 720 Express [1], or the Tyan BP012 or IBM S812L which feature
Power8 [2].

Power8 is a BIG DEAL, or at least it should be, e.g. see
http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2413565/ibm-claims-power8-systems-beat-x86-for-performance-per-dollar
- it's faster than Xeons.

And perhaps safer?

Looking at other OS:es,
  * Power8 is supported by
     * mainstream Linux distros (listed as the ppc64el architecture in
for instance Debian and Ubuntu) and
     * FreeBSD seems to do some work with it.

  * Power7 is supported by
     * Mainstream Linux distros (this is far from obvious from generally
available docs, but is made clear by

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/aixpert/entry/installing_debain_7_and_fedora_18_on_power7?lang=en
,

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/fe313521-2e95-46f2-817d-44a4f27eba32/entry/september_14_2011_8_34_am25?lang=en
).
     * FreeBSD support is in beta maybe
(https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ppc/2010-September/004479.html
,
http://adrianchadd.blogspot.com/2015/02/freebsd-on-power8-its-alive.html
, all this seems to be done by Nathan).

Thanks,
Tinker

[1] http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/hardware/

[2] http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/hardware/ ,
http://www.tyan.com/solutions/tyan_openpower_system.html

Re: What about the IBM POWER7 and POWER8 platforms, did anyone ever think about porting these to OpenBSD?

Theo de Raadt
> Reading through all docs and email archives for OpenBSD, I cannot find a
> single mentioning of the IBM POWER processors, e.g., the POWER7 such as
> IBM Power 720 Express [1], or the Tyan BP012 or IBM S812L which feature
> Power8 [2].
>
> Power8 is a BIG DEAL, or at least it should be, e.g. see
> http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2413565/ibm-claims-power8-systems-beat-x86-for-performance-per-dollar
> - it's faster than Xeons.
>
> And perhaps safer?

If you send me a private mail and I'll give you addresses to get
machines delivered to.  I'd make a guess that 3-4 people need machines
to ensure progress.

Thanks for your offer.

Re: What about the IBM POWER7 and POWER8 platforms, did anyone ever think about porting these to OpenBSD?

Xavier Guerin
If this ever becomes a reality, I'd like to give it a shot. No ETA though.