Quantcast

Was the ifb X driver deprecated?

Bryan C. Everly-2
Hi,

I'm trying to get X running successfully on my Sparc64 Sun Blade 2500 with
the XR-1200 video card and I'm struggling.

I can get something displaying with the wildcatfb driver set up in my
xorg.conf file but the FAQ states I should be using the ifb driver (for
which a man page exists) and yet when I try to configure it, I get "Failed
to load module ifb module does not exist".

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

Re: Was the ifb X driver deprecated?

Matthieu Herrb-7
On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 09:12:33AM -0400, Bryan C. Everly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get X running successfully on my Sparc64 Sun Blade 2500 with
> the XR-1200 video card and I'm struggling.
>
> I can get something displaying with the wildcatfb driver set up in my
> xorg.conf file but the FAQ states I should be using the ifb driver (for
> which a man page exists) and yet when I try to configure it, I get "Failed
> to load module ifb module does not exist".

Which FAQ (URL ?)

The kernel driver for those is 'ifb(4)' but the X driver is indeed
xf86-video-wildcatfb. So the FAQ entry you're reading should be fixed or
clarified.

--
Matthieu Herrb

Re: Was the ifb X driver deprecated?

Bryan C. Everly-2
Matthieu,

Thanks for your reply.  When I go to the FAQ and drill into 1.2 (on what
systems does openBSD run) then select sparc64, I am taken to:

http://www.openbsd.org/sparc64.html

If you scroll down to the supported frame buffers, for the XVR-1200 it
shows the ifb (with a link to the manpage) and it says it is 24-bit color
and accelerated.

Unfortunately if I configure my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with 24 bit planes,
X generates an error on startup saying that only 8 bitplanes are supported.

Any further help you could provide would be massively appreciated.  This is
a killer system and I'd really like to be able to use it as my daily driver
with i3 as my window manager.  I just feel like not enough people are doing
their daily work on anything but amd64 and I'd genuinely like to change
that to keep some of these still very viable architectures alive.

Thanks,
Bryan

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:41:42AM -0400, Bryan C. Everly wrote:

> Matthieu,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  When I go to the FAQ and drill into 1.2 (on what
> systems does openBSD run) then select sparc64, I am taken to:
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/sparc64.html
>
> If you scroll down to the supported frame buffers, for the XVR-1200 it
> shows the ifb (with a link to the manpage) and it says it is 24-bit color
> and accelerated.
>
> Unfortunately if I configure my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with 24 bit planes,
> X generates an error on startup saying that only 8 bitplanes are supported.
>
> Any further help you could provide would be massively appreciated.  This is
> a killer system and I'd really like to be able to use it as my daily driver
> with i3 as my window manager.  I just feel like not enough people are doing
> their daily work on anything but amd64 and I'd genuinely like to change
> that to keep some of these still very viable architectures alive.
I only have an Expert3D-lite to play with. Ihmo the under X it's not
usable compared to the mach64 card that is present on the motherboard
of my Blade-150 system.

If you can find an XVR 100 or 300 instead, it will probably give you a
much better performance for a desktop system.

--
Matthieu Herrb

Re: Was the ifb X driver deprecated?

Bryan C. Everly-2
Thank you.  I'll see what's available on eBay.

Thanks,
Bryan

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Matthieu Herrb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:41:42AM -0400, Bryan C. Everly wrote:
> > Matthieu,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply.  When I go to the FAQ and drill into 1.2 (on what
> > systems does openBSD run) then select sparc64, I am taken to:
> >
> > http://www.openbsd.org/sparc64.html
> >
> > If you scroll down to the supported frame buffers, for the XVR-1200 it
> > shows the ifb (with a link to the manpage) and it says it is 24-bit color
> > and accelerated.
> >
> > Unfortunately if I configure my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with 24 bit
> planes,
> > X generates an error on startup saying that only 8 bitplanes are
> supported.
> >
> > Any further help you could provide would be massively appreciated.  This
> is
> > a killer system and I'd really like to be able to use it as my daily
> driver
> > with i3 as my window manager.  I just feel like not enough people are
> doing
> > their daily work on anything but amd64 and I'd genuinely like to change
> > that to keep some of these still very viable architectures alive.
>
> I only have an Expert3D-lite to play with. Ihmo the under X it's not
> usable compared to the mach64 card that is present on the motherboard
> of my Blade-150 system.
>
> If you can find an XVR 100 or 300 instead, it will probably give you a
> much better performance for a desktop system.

> Matthieu Herrb

Re: Was the ifb X driver deprecated?

Mark Kettenis
> Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 10:41:42 -0400
> From: "Bryan C. Everly" <[hidden email]>
>
> Matthieu,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  When I go to the FAQ and drill into 1.2 (on what
> systems does openBSD run) then select sparc64, I am taken to:
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/sparc64.html
>
> If you scroll down to the supported frame buffers, for the XVR-1200 it
> shows the ifb (with a link to the manpage) and it says it is 24-bit color
> and accelerated.

It also says:

  (currently restricted to 8-bit, unaccelerated on the XVR-500 and
  XVR-600, accelerated on the Expert3D, Expert3D-Lite and XVR-1200)

There is no public documentation for this hardware, and there is not
much hope that this situation will ever change.  Without further
documentation it is unlikely that we will be able to improve our
support for this hardware.