Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

Christopher Snell
Hi Folks,

I hope you will excuse the commercial nature of this post; I figured
that this is the best place to find what we are looking for.

Backcountry.com is seeking an OpenBSD and Linux systems administrator
to join its Systems and Networks Engineering team. Qualified
applicants will have solid experience configuring and maintaining
OpenBSD- and Linux-based servers in a production environment. We're a
close-knit group, so a positive, cooperative attitude and the ability
to function as part of a team are extremely important.

Requirements:

* Configuring and maintaining OpenBSD and Linux in a 24/7/365
production environment

* Solid UNIX systems and network security fundamentals

* Excellent understanding of the OSI seven layer model and TCP/IP networking

* Experience working with hardware and software RAID devices

* Stateful packet filtering with pf and iptables

* Configuration and tuning of Apache and PostgreSQL

* Datacenter operations (cabling, racking, organizing)

Additional Preferred Skills:

* CARP, pfsync, VLANs, and trunking
* Configuration of layer 3 managed switches, eg. Foundry FastIron
* Configuration of layer 4-7 application switches, eg. Foundry ServerIron
* Asterisk PBX;
* GFS or other distributed file system technologies;

Considerations:

This position is based in Park City, Utah and is full-time and
benefits eligible. Benefits include paid time off, paid holidays,
floating holidays, subsidized medical insurance, voluntary coverage
(dental, short-term disability, supplemental accident), 401K, annual
profit sharing, employee gear discount, employee referral program,
flexible hours, casual dress, discounted season passes, and
transferable day ski passes.

To Apply:

Send resume, salary history, and answers to the following screening
questions to [hidden email] with "Systems Administrator" in the
subject line.

Screening Questions:

1. Based on the following statements (props to Lewis Carroll), answer
the following questions:

a. What can you logically conclude from these statements?

b. Explain how you came to this conclusion (bonus points for using
symbolic logic).

The statements:

* No birds, except ostriches, are 9 feet high.
* There are no birds in this aviary that belong to anyone but me.
* No ostrich lives on mince pies.
* I have no birds less than 9 feet high.

2. Describe some differences between OpenBSD's and Linux's init(8).

3. Design a scalable e-mail architecture to support 1,000 users and
2MM+ incoming and 200,000 outgoing e-mails/day. You may be as brief or
as verbose as you like. Architectural drawings, server, network, and
software specs are encouraged but not required.

4. Your home network has a single pf-based firewall machine between
your internal LAN and the general internet. The firewall machine has
two network interfaces: external (sk0) and internal (sk1). This
firewall takes a default-deny stance to *ALL* network traffic. You
have a machine on your internal LAN, "puffy", that wants to talk to
www.backcountry.com on TCP ports 80 and 443. Given the following pf
macros, write the appropriate rule(s) that will allow puffy to surf
www.backcountry.com:

external_if="sk0"
internal_if="sk1"
puffy_ip="10.0.0.67"
backcountry_ip="166.70.146.69"

5. What are your top three innate strengths that you don't even have to try at?

6. What is a genuine weakness that you strive to improve upon? (don't
twist a positive into a negative)

7. What is your desired salary range?

8. Why do you want to work at Backcountry.com?

We Are an Equal Opportunity Employer

Re: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

Marc Balmer-2
* Christopher Snell wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I hope you will excuse the commercial nature of this post; I figured
> that this is the best place to find what we are looking for.

looking for people myself, I must admit that I dislike abusing misc for
this a bit,  misc@ is for discussind OpenBSD related stuff and probably
not to look for staff.

> [...]
> firewall takes a default-deny stance to *ALL* network traffic. You
> have a machine on your internal LAN, "puffy", that wants to talk to
> www.backcountry.com on TCP ports 80 and 443. Given the following pf
> macros, write the appropriate rule(s) that will allow puffy to surf
> www.backcountry.com:
>

> external_if="sk0"
> internal_if="sk1"
> puffy_ip="10.0.0.67"
> backcountry_ip="166.70.146.69"
>

> 5. What are your top three innate strengths that you don't even have to try
> at?
>
> 6. What is a genuine weakness that you strive to improve upon? (don't
> twist a positive into a negative)
>
> 7. What is your desired salary range?
>
> 8. Why do you want to work at Backcountry.com?
>
> We Are an Equal Opportunity Employer

Re: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

Darrin Chandler
On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 10:43:51PM +0100, Marc Balmer wrote:
> * Christopher Snell wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I hope you will excuse the commercial nature of this post; I figured
> > that this is the best place to find what we are looking for.
>
> looking for people myself, I must admit that I dislike abusing misc for
> this a bit,  misc@ is for discussind OpenBSD related stuff and probably
> not to look for staff.

I started posting *local* jobs on my *local* users group site, and it
seems it ranks pretty highly on Google. If you or anyone else have any
openings for OpenBSD, *BSD, development using open source, etc, please
feel free to send me the info to post. Current stuff is at
http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/jobs. If and when I get stuff from outside the
local region I'll change the "Arizona Jobs" to something more suitable.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
[hidden email]   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

Re: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

Darren S.
On 1/2/07, Darrin Chandler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 10:43:51PM +0100, Marc Balmer wrote:
> > * Christopher Snell wrote:
> > > Hi Folks,
> > >
> > > I hope you will excuse the commercial nature of this post; I figured
> > > that this is the best place to find what we are looking for.
> >
> > looking for people myself, I must admit that I dislike abusing misc for
> > this a bit,  misc@ is for discussind OpenBSD related stuff and probably
> > not to look for staff.
>
> I started posting *local* jobs on my *local* users group site, and it
> seems it ranks pretty highly on Google. If you or anyone else have any
> openings for OpenBSD, *BSD, development using open source, etc, please
> feel free to send me the info to post. Current stuff is at
> http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/jobs. If and when I get stuff from outside the
> local region I'll change the "Arizona Jobs" to something more suitable.

http://gubug.org/ <- these guys would probably be happy to hear about this.

DS

Re: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

Karl R. Balsmeier
Marc Balmer wrote:

>* Christopher Snell wrote:
>

>>Hi Folks,
>>
>>I hope you will excuse the commercial nature of this post; I figured
>>that this is the best place to find what we are looking for.
>>

>looking for people myself, I must admit that I dislike abusing misc for
>this a bit,  misc@ is for discussind OpenBSD related stuff and probably
>not to look for staff.

Yeah, I agree.  Don't post job ads here.

I also actually think the hiring process can be a little over-wrought.
Here you subject a candidate to a brain teaser (bonus points for
symbolic logic).  I have to say after going through the market a few
years back to get my current job, -it's asking a little much to put
people through this stuff.  I can honestly say as someone fully
qualified, I simply pass on job offer situations that take it a little
too far.

As an employer, I really deplore it.  Basically it's saying "I don't
want to waste time on too many interviews, so i'll just put more
pressure on the candidates in the early part of the selection process
via 'screening'".

>>Backcountry.com is seeking an OpenBSD and Linux systems administrator
>>to join its Systems and Networks Engineering team. Qualified
>>applicants will have solid experience configuring and maintaining
>>OpenBSD- and Linux-based servers in a production environment. We're a
>>close-knit group, so a positive, cooperative attitude and the ability
>>to function as part of a team are extremely important.
>>

>>Requirements:
>>
>>* Configuring and maintaining OpenBSD and Linux in a 24/7/365
>>production environment
>>
>>* Solid UNIX systems and network security fundamentals
>>
>>* Excellent understanding of the OSI seven layer model and TCP/IP networking
>>
>>* Experience working with hardware and software RAID devices
>>
>>* Stateful packet filtering with pf and iptables
>>
>>* Configuration and tuning of Apache and PostgreSQL
>>
>>* Datacenter operations (cabling, racking, organizing)
>>
>>Additional Preferred Skills:
>>
>>* CARP, pfsync, VLANs, and trunking
>>* Configuration of layer 3 managed switches, eg. Foundry FastIron
>>* Configuration of layer 4-7 application switches, eg. Foundry ServerIron
>>* Asterisk PBX;
>>* GFS or other distributed file system technologies;
>>
>>Considerations:
>>
>>This position is based in Park City, Utah and is full-time and
>>benefits eligible. Benefits include paid time off, paid holidays,
>>floating holidays, subsidized medical insurance, voluntary coverage
>>(dental, short-term disability, supplemental accident), 401K, annual
>>profit sharing, employee gear discount, employee referral program,
>>flexible hours, casual dress, discounted season passes, and
>>transferable day ski passes.
>>
>>To Apply:
>>
>>Send resume, salary history, and answers to the following screening
>>questions to [hidden email] with "Systems Administrator" in the
>>subject line.
>>
>>Screening Questions:
>>
>>1. Based on the following statements (props to Lewis Carroll), answer
>>the following questions:
>>
>>a. What can you logically conclude from these statements?
>>
>>b. Explain how you came to this conclusion (bonus points for using
>>symbolic logic).
>>
>>The statements:
>>
>>* No birds, except ostriches, are 9 feet high.
>>* There are no birds in this aviary that belong to anyone but me.
>>* No ostrich lives on mince pies.
>>* I have no birds less than 9 feet high.

you own ostriches only, and should refrain from feeding them mince
pies.  see.  was too annoyed to be creative.

>>2. Describe some differences between OpenBSD's and Linux's init(8).
>>
>>3. Design a scalable e-mail architecture to support 1,000 users and
>>2MM+ incoming and 200,000 outgoing e-mails/day. You may be as brief or
>>as verbose as you like. Architectural drawings, server, network, and
>>software specs are encouraged but not required.
>>
>>4. Your home network has a single pf-based firewall machine between
>>your internal LAN and the general internet. The firewall machine has
>>two network interfaces: external (sk0) and internal (sk1). This
>>firewall takes a default-deny stance to *ALL* network traffic. You
>>have a machine on your internal LAN, "puffy", that wants to talk to
>>www.backcountry.com on TCP ports 80 and 443. Given the following pf
>>macros, write the appropriate rule(s) that will allow puffy to surf
>>www.backcountry.com:
>>

>>external_if="sk0"
>>internal_if="sk1"
>>puffy_ip="10.0.0.67"
>>backcountry_ip="166.70.146.69"
>>

>>5. What are your top three innate strengths that you don't even have to try
>>at?
>>
>>6. What is a genuine weakness that you strive to improve upon? (don't
>>twist a positive into a negative)
>>
>>7. What is your desired salary range?
>>
>>8. Why do you want to work at Backcountry.com?
>>
>>We Are an Equal Opportunity Employer

Re: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

Diana Eichert
Okay, enough is enough, no more employment want ad stuff.

Funny how I can ignore the stupid lamer posts, but I find employment want
ad posts deplorable enough to reply.

go figure.

diana

Re: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

Christopher Snell
And who appointed you list manager?  My post was permitted based on my
reading of the rules in http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html.

Chrris

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Christopher Snell wrote:

> And who appointed you list manager?  My post was permitted based on my
> reading of the rules in http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html.
>
> Chrris

Same person who appoints people like you to respond the way you do.

diana

Past hissy-fits are not a predictor of future hissy-fits.
Nick Holland(06 Dec 2005)

Re: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

Luca Corti-3
On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 16:50 -0700, Christopher Snell wrote:
> And who appointed you list manager?  My post was permitted based on my
> reading of the rules in http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html.

Quoting from the page you cite:

>Stay on topic
>Please keep the subject of the post relevant to users of OpenBSD.

Please note the users part. I don't think OpenBSD *users* think job ads
are relevant to them.

ciao

Luca

Re: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

Tom Bombadil
The just guy sent one single e-mail asking if a bsd user wanted a job,
which I bet many among us might be interested.

A bit off topic, yes but if that doesn't apply to someone, bitching just
creates more noise... As it is clearly stated in that page:
"Complaining about and commenting upon spam on the list proper is
counter-productive as it generates more traffic than the spam itself."

So, while his spam could potentially give any a job to a fellow BSD
user, all complaints about his post accomplish absolutely nothing.

Happy new year!

Luca Corti wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 16:50 -0700, Christopher Snell wrote:
>> And who appointed you list manager?  My post was permitted based on my
>> reading of the rules in http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html.
>
> Quoting from the page you cite:
>
>> Stay on topic
>> Please keep the subject of the post relevant to users of OpenBSD.
>
> Please note the users part. I don't think OpenBSD *users* think job ads
> are relevant to them.
>
> ciao
>
> Luca

Re: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

StrongBad
Tom Bombadil wrote:
> The just guy sent one single e-mail asking if a bsd user wanted a job,
> which I bet many among us might be interested.
I've certainly heard from consulting customers who got my info from the
consultants
page at OpenBSD ... It's hard to understand why one can't post a job req
on misc ...
there's a jobs@ list for apache.org and it's busy ... There's a fine
line between job
postings and headhunter poop of course ... Why should we chase away
employers
looking for experts in our slightly arcane and recondite OBSD environment?

--
Jack J. Woehr
Director of Development
303-443-7000 ext. 527

Re: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

Passeur
Well if there was a JOB section like there is on NetBSD, that would avoid this kind of issues.
Just a suggestion...

Re: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

J.C. Roberts

On Tuesday 02 January 2007 15:50, Christopher Snell wrote:
> And who appointed you list manager?  My post was permitted based on
> my reading of the rules in http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html.
>
> Chrris

Hi Chris,

Wow, a fun test solicitation from www.backcountry.com  -Thanks!

After more than half a decade of dealing with Diana on and off list, I
think rather highly of her and hence, I certainly have a bias but at
the same time, I see nothing wrong with the occasional job posting to
misc@. None the less, I think this is going to be a fun test...

> a. What can you logically conclude from these statements?
Answer:
I can logically conclude you are an easily frustrated, insecure jerk.

> b. Explain how you came to this conclusion (bonus points for using
> symbolic logic).
Answer:
When someone disagrees with your personal interpretation of something,
you immediately resort to catty, asinine remarks to supposedly "prove"
your point and you get too frustrated by the disagreement to even
properly spell your own name.

+------------+     +------------+     +------------+     +------------+
| Employment |     | Differing  |     | Completely |     | Frustrated |
|   Offer    +-->--+ Opinion of +-->--+  Asinine   |  =  |  Insecure  |
|  Posting   |     | Appropriate|     |   Reply    |     |    Jerk    |
+------------+     +------------+     +------------+     +------------+

Though I've tried to be humorous, albeit at your expense, admittedly
it's not very funny... -Would you want to work for someone like you?

JCR

Re: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

John Gould
On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, J.C. Roberts wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 January 2007 13:09, Christopher Snell wrote:
>> Screening Questions:
>>
>> 1. Based on the following statements (props to Lewis Carroll), answer
>> the following questions:
>>
>> a. What can you logically conclude from these statements?
>>
>> b. Explain how you came to this conclusion (bonus points for using
>> symbolic logic).
>>
>> The statements:
>
>> On 1/2/07, Diana Eichert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Okay, enough is enough, no more employment want ad stuff.
>>>
>>> Funny how I can ignore the stupid lamer posts, but I find
>>> employment want ad posts deplorable enough to reply.
>>>
>>> go figure.
>>>
>>> diana
>>>

> On Tuesday 02 January 2007 15:50, Christopher Snell wrote:
>> And who appointed you list manager?  My post was permitted based on
>> my reading of the rules in http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html.
>>
>> Chrris
>>

> Hi Chris,
>
> Wow, a fun test solicitation from www.backcountry.com  -Thanks!
>
> After more than half a decade of dealing with Diana on and off list, I
> think rather highly of her and hence, I certainly have a bias but at
> the same time, I see nothing wrong with the occasional job posting to
> misc@. None the less, I think this is going to be a fun test...
>
>> a. What can you logically conclude from these statements?
> Answer:
> I can logically conclude you are an easily frustrated, insecure jerk.
>
>> b. Explain how you came to this conclusion (bonus points for using
>> symbolic logic).
> Answer:
> When someone disagrees with your personal interpretation of something,
> you immediately resort to catty, asinine remarks to supposedly "prove"
> your point and you get too frustrated by the disagreement to even
> properly spell your own name.
>
> +------------+     +------------+     +------------+     +------------+
> | Employment |     | Differing  |     | Completely |     | Frustrated |
> |   Offer    +-->--+ Opinion of +-->--+  Asinine   |  =  |  Insecure  |
> |  Posting   |     | Appropriate|     |   Reply    |     |    Jerk    |
> +------------+     +------------+     +------------+     +------------+
>
> Though I've tried to be humorous, albeit at your expense, admittedly
> it's not very funny... -Would you want to work for someone like you?
>
> JCR

Here, here! I agree with Diana! Now go away with your silly questions! Why
would anyone want to work for you?

John.

Re: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

Rod Whitworth-3
On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 02:37:34 -0800, J.C. Roberts wrote:

>On Tuesday 02 January 2007 13:09, Christopher Snell wrote:
>> Screening Questions:
>>
>> 1. Based on the following statements (props to Lewis Carroll), answer
>> the following questions:
>>
>> a. What can you logically conclude from these statements?
>>
>> b. Explain how you came to this conclusion (bonus points for using
>> symbolic logic).
>>
>> The statements:
>
>> On 1/2/07, Diana Eichert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Okay, enough is enough, no more employment want ad stuff.
>> >
>> > Funny how I can ignore the stupid lamer posts, but I find
>> > employment want ad posts deplorable enough to reply.
>> >
>> > go figure.
>> >
>> > diana
>> >

>On Tuesday 02 January 2007 15:50, Christopher Snell wrote:
>> And who appointed you list manager?  My post was permitted based on
>> my reading of the rules in http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html.
>>
>> Chrris
>>

>Hi Chris,
>
>Wow, a fun test solicitation from www.backcountry.com  -Thanks!
>
>After more than half a decade of dealing with Diana on and off list, I
>think rather highly of her and hence, I certainly have a bias but at
>the same time, I see nothing wrong with the occasional job posting to
>misc@. None the less, I think this is going to be a fun test...
>
>> a. What can you logically conclude from these statements?
>Answer:
>I can logically conclude you are an easily frustrated, insecure jerk.
>
>> b. Explain how you came to this conclusion (bonus points for using
>> symbolic logic).
>Answer:
>When someone disagrees with your personal interpretation of something,
>you immediately resort to catty, asinine remarks to supposedly "prove"
>your point and you get too frustrated by the disagreement to even
>properly spell your own name.
>
>+------------+     +------------+     +------------+     +------------+
>| Employment |     | Differing  |     | Completely |     | Frustrated |
>|   Offer    +-->--+ Opinion of +-->--+  Asinine   |  =  |  Insecure  |
>|  Posting   |     | Appropriate|     |   Reply    |     |    Jerk    |
>+------------+     +------------+     +------------+     +------------+
>
>Though I've tried to be humorous, albeit at your expense, admittedly
>it's not very funny... -Would you want to work for someone like you?
>
>JCR

Go get 'em JC!

I thought that they must be, as we Aussies say, a bit up themselves if
they spout crap like:
"Casual dress, flexible hours, ping pong and table tennis are among the
things you'll enjoy, in addition to working where we learn from our
failures, embrace healthy conflict "
and don't even know that ping-pong and table tennis are two names for
the one sport.

But watch out for the healthy conflict, you may be embraced.
8-))
R/

From the land "down under": Australia.
Do we look <umop apisdn> from up over?

Re: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

Craig Skinner
On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 02:37:34AM -0800, J.C. Roberts wrote:
> the same time, I see nothing wrong with the occasional job posting to

FWIW, I agree to short posts.

As this list is subscibed to globally, please state if you expect a
person to appear in the flesh, and therefore where the job is located,
or if telecommuting is fine.

As for the kangaroo in pyjamas questions, leave that for fu<kwit govt HR
depts, unless you want to be mocked.

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 20:03 -0700, Jack J. Woehr wrote:
> postings and headhunter poop of course ... Why should we chase away
> employers
> looking for experts in our slightly arcane and recondite OBSD environment?

ciao

Luca

OT Was: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

Diana Eichert
On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Jack J. Woehr wrote:

> Tom Bombadil wrote:
> > The just guy sent one single e-mail asking if a bsd user wanted a job,
> > which I bet many among us might be interested.
>
> I've certainly heard from consulting customers who got my info from the
> consultants page at OpenBSD ... It's hard to understand why one can't
> post a job req on misc ... there's a jobs@ list for apache.org and it's
> busy ... There's a fine line between job postings and headhunter poop of
> course ... Why should we chase away employers looking for experts in our
> slightly arcane and recondite OBSD environment?
>
> --
> Jack J. Woehr
> Director of Development
> Absolute Performance, Inc.
> [hidden email]
> 303-443-7000 ext. 527

See Jack ( see jack run, see jack talk ;) )

You make my point in your reply, apache.org has a jobs@ list as so do
several other projects.  There's a reason.

As far as "slightly arcane and recondite" I disagree, I consider the "OBSD
environment" to be one of clarity and foresight.

In regards to "Tom Bombadil", when you stop using characters from Tolkien
to post I'll begin to listen.

g.day to y'all

diana

Re: OT Was: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

danno
IMHO allowing employers to seek out OBSD admins for employment helps
further encourage OBSD use. Simply telling employers that they aren't
welcome fosters a negative attitude that, to me, doesn't encourage OBSD
use. But I could see the fine line of 'head-hunter poop' being crossed
way too easily, or this list becoming something of a want-ad list...
ugh.

So why can't there be a jobs@  or something similar? Is there a
philosophical reason it hasn't been in place already that I'm
overlooking?

Dan Farrell
Applied Innovations
[hidden email]

Of
> Diana Eichert
> Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 9:03 AM
> To: OpenBSD
> Subject: OT Was: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator
>
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Jack J. Woehr wrote:
>
> > Tom Bombadil wrote:
> > > The just guy sent one single e-mail asking if a bsd user wanted a
job,
> > > which I bet many among us might be interested.
> >
> > I've certainly heard from consulting customers who got my info from
the
> > consultants page at OpenBSD ... It's hard to understand why one
can't
> > post a job req on misc ... there's a jobs@ list for apache.org and
it's
> > busy ... There's a fine line between job postings and headhunter
poop of
> > course ... Why should we chase away employers looking for experts in
our

> > slightly arcane and recondite OBSD environment?
> >
> > --
> > Jack J. Woehr
> > Director of Development
> > Absolute Performance, Inc.
> > [hidden email]
> > 303-443-7000 ext. 527
>
> See Jack ( see jack run, see jack talk ;) )
>
> You make my point in your reply, apache.org has a jobs@ list as so do
> several other projects.  There's a reason.
>
> As far as "slightly arcane and recondite" I disagree, I consider the
"OBSD
> environment" to be one of clarity and foresight.
>
> In regards to "Tom Bombadil", when you stop using characters from
Tolkien
> to post I'll begin to listen.
>
> g.day to y'all
>
> diana

Re: OT Was: Wanted: OpenBSD Systems Administrator

Peter Landry-3

I personally think that job postings help the community more than it
hurts. The line between genuine job opportunities and "headhunter poop"
should be easy to spot. I certainly think it could fall under the
purview of "misc". Of course, having a jobs list would indeed make the
issue even more clear-cut.

I wonder how you'll poke fun at my name? :)

Peter

123