Wallpaper artwork created for OpenBSD

Alex-5
Dear OpenBSD users, developers, contributors, My name is Mingjing a *BSD user and lover from China. My friend and I did some wallpapers for OpenBSD and other opensource project in the free time. For now they are designed only for smart phones. The pictures are 1920*1080. I put them on Github (https://github.com/opensourcecn/wallpapers) and we've packaged them into android APKs on Google Play ( http://bit.ly/2JPetLy and http://bit.ly/2qxX8xU). All the wallpapers released in BSD license that you can do what ever you want.  Feel free to use them and give me suggestions if you have. Thanks Mingjing

Re: Wallpaper artwork created for OpenBSD

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 03:52:06PM +0800, Alex wrote:
> Dear OpenBSD users, developers, contributors, My name is Mingjing a *BSD user and lover from China. My friend and I did some wallpapers for OpenBSD and other opensource project in the free time. For now they are designed only for smart phones. The pictures are 1920*1080. I put them on Github (https://github.com/opensourcecn/wallpapers) and we've packaged them into android APKs on Google Play ( http://bit.ly/2JPetLy and http://bit.ly/2qxX8xU). All the wallpapers released in BSD license that you can do what ever you want.  Feel free to use them and give me suggestions if you have. Thanks Mingjing

So, you're taking OpenBSD art without permission and publishing it as a
"free app" with ads. Why the app needs so many permissions?.

You're not even a *BSD user. The description contains this gem: "The
copyright of the openBSD project belongs to: The Regents of the
University of California © and we promise this application abide by the
CC4.0 agreements."

Since September you've only published 50+ wallpaper and crappy
launchers.

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Re: Wallpaper artwork created for OpenBSD

Alex-5
Hi  Juan, Thanks for the reply and suggestions. We don't have Google Play account so we ask a friend who has account for help. And I put the wallpaper in github so you don't need to download the app instead. About the permissions you mentioned I will check with my friend. If there are some permission inappropriate I will ask to unpublish it. Thanks Mingjing ---- On 星期五, 2018-11-09 03:48:02 Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado <[hidden email]> wrote ---- On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 03:52:06PM +0800, Alex wrote: > Dear OpenBSD users, developers, contributors, My name is Mingjing a *BSD user and lover from China. My friend and I did some wallpapers for OpenBSD and other opensource project in the free time. For now they are designed only for smart phones. The pictures are 1920*1080. I put them on Github (https://github.com/opensourcecn/wallpapers) and we've packaged them into android APKs on Google Play ( http://bit.ly/2JPetLy and http://bit.ly/2qxX8xU). All the wallpapers released in BSD license that you can do what ever you want.  Feel free to use them and give me suggestions if you have. Thanks Mingjing So, you're taking OpenBSD art without permission and publishing it as a "free app" with ads. Why the app needs so many permissions?. You're not even a *BSD user. The description contains this gem: "The copyright of the openBSD project belongs to: The Regents of the University of California © and we promise this application abide by the CC4.0 agreements." Since September you've only published 50+ wallpaper and crappy launchers. -- Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Re: Wallpaper artwork created for OpenBSD

Justina Colmena
On November 8, 2018 7:48:02 PM UTC, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 03:52:06PM +0800, Alex wrote:
>> Dear OpenBSD users, developers, contributors, My name is Mingjing a
>*BSD user and lover from China. My friend and I did some wallpapers for
>OpenBSD and other opensource project in the free time. For now they are
>designed only for smart phones. The pictures are 1920*1080. I put them
>on Github (https://github.com/opensourcecn/wallpapers) and we've
>packaged them into android APKs on Google Play
>( http://bit.ly/2JPetLy and http://bit.ly/2qxX8xU). All the wallpapers
>released in BSD license that you can do what ever you want.  Feel free
>to use them and give me suggestions if you have. Thanks Mingjing
>
>So, you're taking OpenBSD art without permission and publishing it as a
>"free app" with ads. Why the app needs so many permissions?.
>
>You're not even a *BSD user. The description contains this gem: "The
>copyright of the openBSD project belongs to: The Regents of the
>University of California © and we promise this application abide by the
>CC4.0 agreements."
>
>Since September you've only published 50+ wallpaper and crappy
>launchers.

I am a long time user of OpenBSD and sometime tinkerer with the code. The art appeared to have been made available at one time for anyone to use to represent the OpenBSD project in a positive light.

I am saddened and disappointed at the vague, but highly aggressive, recent intellectual property claims being made, and the growing association of the project with a certain street drug culture including "benzedrine.ch" "undeadly.org" and other sites.

If the BSD-licensed codebase is worthwhile, (as compared to NetBSD or FreeBSD, say,) it is time to fork the project or think about merging it back into NetBSD where it came from, or otherwise take a more holistic approach to a fully BSD-licensed distribution with a general focus on security.

I have no idea where Theo DeRaadt stands on the issue, because I am not that personally involved.
https://www.colmena.biz/~justina/contacto.php

Re: Wallpaper artwork created for OpenBSD

sogebu_3411_363166709
I do not have the same opinion as you when it comes to the Project itself, but I just wanted to share about the “subculture” stuff.

I also think it is really disappointing, for example I am always talking to japanese people about OpenBSD;  and I don’t have anything to say when such remarks come.

Why are you using drug names? Do you want to make a better IT or are you just having some weird fun together (and making an OS as a mere side effect)?
Those are some of the things people like us wonder about sometimes. Especially people from civilizations where drugs alcohol etc are not seen as mere hobbies. And where words have meanings that are thought throughout and not used carelessly.

This stuff won’t stop me from using OpenBSD for my core projects.

But some really need to open their eyes. Is such pride really useful and beneficial?

Sorry if the Project has absolutely no control over this kind of stuff (I’m sure it does...)

James KAWASHIMA

2018/11/10 11:04、justina colmena <[hidden email]>のメール:

>> On November 8, 2018 7:48:02 PM UTC, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 03:52:06PM +0800, Alex wrote:
>>> Dear OpenBSD users, developers, contributors, My name is Mingjing a
>> *BSD user and lover from China. My friend and I did some wallpapers for
>> OpenBSD and other opensource project in the free time. For now they are
>> designed only for smart phones. The pictures are 1920*1080. I put them
>> on Github (https://github.com/opensourcecn/wallpapers) and we've
>> packaged them into android APKs on Google Play
>> ( http://bit.ly/2JPetLy and http://bit.ly/2qxX8xU). All the wallpapers
>> released in BSD license that you can do what ever you want.  Feel free
>> to use them and give me suggestions if you have. Thanks Mingjing
>>
>> So, you're taking OpenBSD art without permission and publishing it as a
>> "free app" with ads. Why the app needs so many permissions?.
>>
>> You're not even a *BSD user. The description contains this gem: "The
>> copyright of the openBSD project belongs to: The Regents of the
>> University of California © and we promise this application abide by the
>> CC4.0 agreements."
>>
>> Since September you've only published 50+ wallpaper and crappy
>> launchers.
>
> I am a long time user of OpenBSD and sometime tinkerer with the code. The art appeared to have been made available at one time for anyone to use to represent the OpenBSD project in a positive light.
>
> I am saddened and disappointed at the vague, but highly aggressive, recent intellectual property claims being made, and the growing association of the project with a certain street drug culture including "benzedrine.ch" "undeadly.org" and other sites.
>
> If the BSD-licensed codebase is worthwhile, (as compared to NetBSD or FreeBSD, say,) it is time to fork the project or think about merging it back into NetBSD where it came from, or otherwise take a more holistic approach to a fully BSD-licensed distribution with a general focus on security.
>
> I have no idea where Theo DeRaadt stands on the issue, because I am not that personally involved.
> --
> https://www.colmena.biz/~justina/contacto.php

Re: Wallpaper artwork created for OpenBSD

Austin Hook-2

I still recommend not cross-posting to misc for discussions of this sort.

Looks like it's hard to appreciate the humour in different
languages/cultures that one is not native to.  I am sure that the
references are intended to be humourous, and do not come across to so
intensely to many english speakers.

But sure, just lead the way in being more genteel.  Maybe it will catch
on.

Austin

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018, [hidden email] wrote:

> I do not have the same opinion as you when it comes to the Project
> itself, but I just wanted to share about the ?subculture? stuff.
>
> I also think it is really disappointing, for example I am always talking
> to japanese people about OpenBSD;  and I don?t have anything to say when
> such remarks come.
>
> Why are you using drug names? Do you want to make a better IT or are you
> just having some weird fun together (and making an OS as a mere side
> effect)? Those are some of the things people like us wonder about
> sometimes. Especially people from civilizations where drugs alcohol etc
> are not seen as mere hobbies. And where words have meanings that are
> thought throughout and not used carelessly.
>
> This stuff won?t stop me from using OpenBSD for my core projects.
>
> But some really need to open their eyes. Is such pride really useful and
> beneficial?
>
> Sorry if the Project has absolutely no control over this kind of stuff
> (I?m sure it does...)
>
> James KAWASHIMA
>
> 2018/11/10 11:04?justina colmena <[hidden email]>????:

> >> *BSD user and lover from China. My friend and I did some wallpapers for
> >> OpenBSD and other opensource project in the free time. For now they are

Re: Wallpaper artwork created for OpenBSD

Justina Colmena
On November 10, 2018 4:30:04 AM UTC, Austin Hook ...

>> "benzedrine.ch" "undeadly.org" and other sites.

>Quite funny, but recommend that non-serious stuff be confined to
>advocacy@, and as is the general feeling in the community, cross
>posting
>between the the two lists is highly discouraged.

I didn't mean to cross-post to
the wrong list, but street drugs and federal indictments are definitely not funny. These are grave charges of serious crimes.

The drug dealing is an act of war when it crosses international borders. Get rid of that stuff from the OpenBSD community. It's a death penalty for any aid or comfort to that from my country.

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018, justina colmena wrote:

> On November 10, 2018 4:30:04 AM UTC, Austin Hook ...
>
> >> "benzedrine.ch" "undeadly.org" and other sites.
>
> >Quite funny, but recommend that non-serious stuff be confined to
> >advocacy@, and as is the general feeling in the community, cross
> >posting between the the two lists is highly discouraged.
>
> I didn't mean to cross-post to the wrong list, but street drugs and
> federal indictments are definitely not funny. These are grave charges of
> serious crimes.
>
> The drug dealing is an act of war when it crosses international borders.
> Get rid of that stuff from the OpenBSD community. It's a death penalty
> for any aid or comfort to that from my country.

Well, Benzedrine in the form of the brand name has been replaced by a
slightly different kind of amphetamine, but the effect is similar.
However, Benzedrine is just thought of something to keep one awake when
cramming for a college exam, or when running our of steam coding around a
hard problem, I guess.  It's a joke.  And "undeadly.org" is just the new
version of "deadly.org", a blog with OpenBSD news.  What has deadly.org
got to do with any drug dealing anyway?  It's got to be someone's over
active imagination to believe that it represents some threat to anyone.

I am sure most developers or users have no sympathy for criminal
enterprises, any more than you do.  Why bother making a stir about it?
Don't be ridiculous.  Me thinks you have some other objective in mind.

Wanna play mind games?  Let me recommend trying to keep up with Alex
Jones....

A.