[WIP/NEW] 1oom - Master of Orion 1 engine

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[WIP/NEW] 1oom - Master of Orion 1 engine

Max Fillinger
Hi!

I made a port for 1oom, an open-source engine recreation for the
turn-based strategy game Master of Orion 1.  The files from the original
game are required to play.  1oom can use SDL1, SDL2 or Allegro4, but
this port just builds the SDL2 version, to keep things simple.

The game seems to work on my machine, but I haven't finished a full
playthrough yet.  Howver, during the `make configure` step, I get the
following warning:

configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --disable-gtk-doc

This seems to be one of the default arguments that get added to
CONFIGURE_ARGS.  Is this a problem?


The post-install steps probably require some explanations:
1) The main binary is 1oom_classic_sdl2, create 1oom as a symlink for
   convenience.

2) make install doesn't seem to recurse into the doc directory, so I
   added a hacky way to install the docs.

3) By default, the game tries to be bug-compatible with the original.
   Bugfixes can be enabled by specifying a patch file when running the
   program.  For convenience, compile the patch file and put it in
   /usr/local/share/1oom.

Is it ok to do 1 and 3, or am I messing around too much?  And is there a
better way to do 2?

1oom.tgz (2K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WIP/NEW] 1oom - Master of Orion 1 engine

Brian Callahan-3
Hi Max --

Thanks for the port! Comments inline and a fixed up tarball attached.

On 11/22/18 7:51 PM, Max Fillinger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I made a port for 1oom, an open-source engine recreation for the
> turn-based strategy game Master of Orion 1.  The files from the original
> game are required to play.  1oom can use SDL1, SDL2 or Allegro4, but
> this port just builds the SDL2 version, to keep things simple.
>
> The game seems to work on my machine, but I haven't finished a full
> playthrough yet.  Howver, during the `make configure` step, I get the
> following warning:
>
> configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --disable-gtk-doc
This is normal and expected, really.

> This seems to be one of the default arguments that get added to
> CONFIGURE_ARGS.  Is this a problem?

No.

>
> The post-install steps probably require some explanations:
> 1) The main binary is 1oom_classic_sdl2, create 1oom as a symlink for
>     convenience.

I patched src/Makefile.in to name the executable 1oom from the get-go.

> 2) make install doesn't seem to recurse into the doc directory, so I
>     added a hacky way to install the docs.

This was a quick 1-line patch in Makefile.in.

> 3) By default, the game tries to be bug-compatible with the original.
>     Bugfixes can be enabled by specifying a patch file when running the
>     program.  For convenience, compile the patch file and put it in
>     /usr/local/share/1oom.

That's fine I think since you detailed it in pkg/README.

> Is it ok to do 1 and 3, or am I messing around too much?  And is there a
> better way to do 2?

Attached is a new tarball that fixes the following:
* Upstream has a stable, uploaded tarball that has a pre-generated
configure script. GitLab definitely does this wrong as compared to
GitHub, and MASTER_SITES will need to be updated whenever the game is
updated, but it's a real tarball and we should use it. Gets rid of all
your autoconf/automake stuff, as well as the DISTNAME/PKGNAME distinction.

* Preferred formatting for variables is VAR<space>=<tab> while you did
VAR=<tab>.

* No MAINTAINER--do you want it?

* License as far as I can tell is GPLv2 only, so change the license marker.

* Resynced LIB_DEPENDS and WANTLIB, they were wrong?

* Made the building of your fixbugs.pbx more sane and in the appropriate
places for the port. I added a comment explaining why we have a
post-build and post-install.

* Patch to install docs during the fake stage, so take that stuff out of
post-install.

* Patch to name binary 1oom by default, so take the symlink stuff out of
post-install.

* Tweak pkg/DESCR to explicitly mention the need to purchase software in
order to use this package.

* Tweak pkg/README a bit to change your hardcoded /usr/local to
${TRUEPREFIX}.

While I have no idea how to play this game, it launched fine and started
a new game fine. I guess I'm looking for oks for this now.

OK?

~Brian


1oom.tgz (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WIP/NEW] 1oom - Master of Orion 1 engine

Max Fillinger
Thanks for your help!

> * No MAINTAINER--do you want it?

What does that entail?  I want to keep this port working and up to date,
if I can.  But I won't be any help if someone has, for example, a
problem on a non-i386/amd64 platform.

> * Made the building of your fixbugs.pbx more sane and in the appropriate
> places for the port. I added a comment explaining why we have a post-build
> and post-install.

Your comment in the Makefile seems a bit misleading.  fixbugs.pbx is for
when you *don't* want the bugs of the original game.  I'd suggest
something like:

# Create patch file to allow the user to disable bug-compatibility with
# the original game.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WIP/NEW] 1oom - Master of Orion 1 engine

Ingo Schwarze
Hi Max,

Max Fillinger wrote on Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 01:05:17AM +0100:

>> * No MAINTAINER--do you want it?

> What does that entail?  I want to keep this port working and up to
> date, if I can.

That's exactly what being a good MAINTAINER means.

> But I won't be any help if someone has, for example, a
> problem on a non-i386/amd64 platform.

If there is something you cannot solve or you are unsure about,
you just ask for help.  Nothing is wrong with a MAINTAINER who
asks for help when he needs it.

Yours,
  Ingo

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WIP/NEW] 1oom - Master of Orion 1 engine

Brian Callahan-3
In reply to this post by Max Fillinger


On 11/23/18 7:05 PM, Max Fillinger wrote:

> Thanks for your help!
>
>> * No MAINTAINER--do you want it?
> What does that entail?  I want to keep this port working and up to date,
> if I can.  But I won't be any help if someone has, for example, a
> problem on a non-i386/amd64 platform.
>
>> * Made the building of your fixbugs.pbx more sane and in the appropriate
>> places for the port. I added a comment explaining why we have a post-build
>> and post-install.
> Your comment in the Makefile seems a bit misleading.  fixbugs.pbx is for
> when you *don't* want the bugs of the original game.  I'd suggest
> something like:
>
> # Create patch file to allow the user to disable bug-compatibility with
> # the original game.
>

Alright, that's my misunderstanding of what the file does then.

~Brian

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WIP/NEW] 1oom - Master of Orion 1 engine

Max Fillinger
On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 09:40:41PM -0500, Brian Callahan wrote:

>
>
> On 11/23/18 7:05 PM, Max Fillinger wrote:
> > Thanks for your help!
> >
> > > * No MAINTAINER--do you want it?
> > What does that entail?  I want to keep this port working and up to date,
> > if I can.  But I won't be any help if someone has, for example, a
> > problem on a non-i386/amd64 platform.
> >
> > > * Made the building of your fixbugs.pbx more sane and in the appropriate
> > > places for the port. I added a comment explaining why we have a post-build
> > > and post-install.
> > Your comment in the Makefile seems a bit misleading.  fixbugs.pbx is for
> > when you *don't* want the bugs of the original game.  I'd suggest
> > something like:
> >
> > # Create patch file to allow the user to disable bug-compatibility with
> > # the original game.
> >
>
> Alright, that's my misunderstanding of what the file does then.
>
> ~Brian
>
Here's a new archive, essentially the same as before but with me written
in as MAINTAINER and the comment fixed.

1oom.tgz (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WIP/NEW] 1oom - Master of Orion 1 engine

Brian Callahan-3


On 11/24/18 5:26 PM, Max Fillinger wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 09:40:41PM -0500, Brian Callahan wrote:
>>
>> On 11/23/18 7:05 PM, Max Fillinger wrote:
>>> Thanks for your help!
>>>
>>>> * No MAINTAINER--do you want it?
>>> What does that entail?  I want to keep this port working and up to date,
>>> if I can.  But I won't be any help if someone has, for example, a
>>> problem on a non-i386/amd64 platform.
>>>
>>>> * Made the building of your fixbugs.pbx more sane and in the appropriate
>>>> places for the port. I added a comment explaining why we have a post-build
>>>> and post-install.
>>> Your comment in the Makefile seems a bit misleading.  fixbugs.pbx is for
>>> when you *don't* want the bugs of the original game.  I'd suggest
>>> something like:
>>>
>>> # Create patch file to allow the user to disable bug-compatibility with
>>> # the original game.
>>>
>> Alright, that's my misunderstanding of what the file does then.
>>
>> ~Brian
>>
> Here's a new archive, essentially the same as before but with me written
> in as MAINTAINER and the comment fixed.

Sure. I'm ok with this.

~Brian

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WIP/NEW] 1oom - Master of Orion 1 engine

Brian Callahan-3


On 11/25/18 11:09 AM, Brian Callahan wrote:

>
>
> On 11/24/18 5:26 PM, Max Fillinger wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 09:40:41PM -0500, Brian Callahan wrote:
>>>
>>> On 11/23/18 7:05 PM, Max Fillinger wrote:
>>>> Thanks for your help!
>>>>
>>>>> * No MAINTAINER--do you want it?
>>>> What does that entail?  I want to keep this port working and up to
>>>> date,
>>>> if I can.  But I won't be any help if someone has, for example, a
>>>> problem on a non-i386/amd64 platform.
>>>>
>>>>> * Made the building of your fixbugs.pbx more sane and in the
>>>>> appropriate
>>>>> places for the port. I added a comment explaining why we have a
>>>>> post-build
>>>>> and post-install.
>>>> Your comment in the Makefile seems a bit misleading. fixbugs.pbx is
>>>> for
>>>> when you *don't* want the bugs of the original game.  I'd suggest
>>>> something like:
>>>>
>>>> # Create patch file to allow the user to disable bug-compatibility
>>>> with
>>>> # the original game.
>>>>
>>> Alright, that's my misunderstanding of what the file does then.
>>>
>>> ~Brian
>>>
>> Here's a new archive, essentially the same as before but with me written
>> in as MAINTAINER and the comment fixed.
>
> Sure. I'm ok with this.
>
> ~Brian

Ping.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WIP/NEW] 1oom - Master of Orion 1 engine

Brian Callahan-3


On 12/28/18 1:45 PM, Brian Callahan wrote:

>
>
> On 11/25/18 11:09 AM, Brian Callahan wrote:
>>
>>
>> On 11/24/18 5:26 PM, Max Fillinger wrote:
>>> On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 09:40:41PM -0500, Brian Callahan wrote:
>>>>
>>>> On 11/23/18 7:05 PM, Max Fillinger wrote:
>>>>> Thanks for your help!
>>>>>
>>>>>> * No MAINTAINER--do you want it?
>>>>> What does that entail?  I want to keep this port working and up to
>>>>> date,
>>>>> if I can.  But I won't be any help if someone has, for example, a
>>>>> problem on a non-i386/amd64 platform.
>>>>>
>>>>>> * Made the building of your fixbugs.pbx more sane and in the
>>>>>> appropriate
>>>>>> places for the port. I added a comment explaining why we have a
>>>>>> post-build
>>>>>> and post-install.
>>>>> Your comment in the Makefile seems a bit misleading. fixbugs.pbx
>>>>> is for
>>>>> when you *don't* want the bugs of the original game.  I'd suggest
>>>>> something like:
>>>>>
>>>>> # Create patch file to allow the user to disable bug-compatibility
>>>>> with
>>>>> # the original game.
>>>>>
>>>> Alright, that's my misunderstanding of what the file does then.
>>>>
>>>> ~Brian
>>>>
>>> Here's a new archive, essentially the same as before but with me
>>> written
>>> in as MAINTAINER and the comment fixed.
>>
>> Sure. I'm ok with this.
>>
>> ~Brian
>
> Ping.
>
Ping? It would be nice to get this in. Tarball reattached for convenience.

~Brian


1oom.tgz (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WIP/NEW] 1oom - Master of Orion 1 engine

Thomas Frohwein-2
[...]
> Ping? It would be nice to get this in. Tarball reattached for convenience.
>
> ~Brian
>

Portswise looks fine to me. I tested running with and without the fixbug file -
both started up fine. Haven't tested any other startup options. The main menu
plays music, but after starting a game music seems to be missing - there is no
difference between "FX only" and "Music" in the game's options menu. I don't
know if the original does have music there or not. Since I don't know if this
is a bug or not and it otherwise seems to work fine (on only a few minutes of
testing), ok thfr@.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WIP/NEW] 1oom - Master of Orion 1 engine

Brian Callahan-3


On 2/9/19 5:36 PM, Thomas Frohwein wrote:

> [...]
>> Ping? It would be nice to get this in. Tarball reattached for convenience.
>>
>> ~Brian
>>
> Portswise looks fine to me. I tested running with and without the fixbug file -
> both started up fine. Haven't tested any other startup options. The main menu
> plays music, but after starting a game music seems to be missing - there is no
> difference between "FX only" and "Music" in the game's options menu. I don't
> know if the original does have music there or not. Since I don't know if this
> is a bug or not and it otherwise seems to work fine (on only a few minutes of
> testing), ok thfr@.

This is actually correct. The game just doesn't have much in terms of
music once you get past the main menu.

Thanks.

~Brian