Virtual Web Server

daffodil-11
I installed OpenBSD on my home server with the intention of running Wordpress and some other things (maybe a TOR relay, I don't know). After installing, I used some online guides to get PHP and MySQL as well as httpd (not apache) set up. But after setting up Wordpress, I was getting some errors I was unable to debug (unable to post content, unable to crop images, etc.)

Now I'm thinking instead to run Linux in a VM to host Wordpress but keeping OpenBSD on the machine as the base operating system. What settings do I need to alter in order to serve http and https from a VM? And is this a normal kind of setup or should I work harder at just debugging what is wrong with Wordpress on the OpenBSD setup?

Re: Virtual Web Server

Josh Grosse-3
On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 12:09:22PM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> I installed OpenBSD on my home server with the intention of running Wordpress and some other things (maybe a TOR relay, I don't know). After installing, I used some online guides to get PHP and MySQL as well as httpd (not apache) set up. But after setting up Wordpress, I was getting some errors I was unable to debug (unable to post content, unable to crop images, etc.)
>
> Now I'm thinking instead to run Linux in a VM to host Wordpress but keeping OpenBSD on the machine as the base operating system. What settings do I need to alter in order to serve http and https from a VM? And is this a normal kind of setup or should I work harder at just debugging what is wrong with Wordpress on the OpenBSD setup?

I'm going to guess you are using either httpd(8) or the nginx package
as your web server.  If so, you will need to create a copy of /etc/resolv.conf
as /var/www/etc/resolv.conf.  Both web servers run in a chroot(2) at
/var/www.  After creating the directory and copying the file, restart your
phpXX_fpm daemon.

It was just a guess, of course, because you didn't state what you're using,
or what you've done.

Re: Virtual Web Server

Michael Hekeler
I would suggest to analyze the problems you have with wordpress on httpd.

Just a few thoughts (shot in the dark):

"unable to post content" -> write permissions?

"crop images" -> do you have all the php libraries
installed that wordpress needs?
What is needed to crop images? gd? image-magick? check wordpress
requirements.

A good start is to see httpd's error log.
Also see the output of phpinfo().

Installing linux to host wordpress will not magically solve problems ;-)

On 2019-03-08, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I installed OpenBSD on my home server with the intention of running Wordpress and some other things (maybe a TOR relay, I don't know). After installing, I used some online guides to get PHP and MySQL as well as httpd (not apache) set up. But after setting up Wordpress, I was getting some errors I was unable to debug (unable to post content, unable to crop images, etc.)
>
> Now I'm thinking instead to run Linux in a VM to host Wordpress but keeping OpenBSD on the machine as the base operating system. What settings do I need to alter in order to serve http and https from a VM? And is this a normal kind of setup or should I work harder at just debugging what is wrong with Wordpress on the OpenBSD setup?

Wordpress runs ok on OpenBSD. It used to be in ports but was removed
because there's nothing unusual about the setup for running it on
OpenBSD and with this sort of web application you really want to
be using the standard update mechanism to get security fixes quickly.

You'll probably find it simpler to use a web server other than httpd(1)
to start with (nginx or apache httpd), so that the config guides you'll
find are more relevant.

When you have it working then you can start translating the config..