Via EPIA boards

Steve B-2
The memory controller on my P2B appears to have gone bad, so I'm looking to
replace it. I've seen a number of posts on various OBSD related sites about
these Via EPIA boards and their various benefits - low power, hardware
crypto, etc. They look like a nice replacement for my old board so I've been
looking around at logicsupply.com, idotpc.com and mini-itx.com. There are
probably other sites so if you've got them please share <g>. A couple of
questions come to mind as I plan a purchase:

1. How well supported are the C3 boards such as the M10000?

2. I'd like to switch to a nice 1U case. Logicsupply has Casetronic and
Morex cases which are nice; gtweb.net also has some. Other recommendations?

3. idotpc.com has a 1U case with a C3 and 256RAM for $299US. I'm sure there
are other nice package deals out there. Can anyone recommend a few?

4. Are the C7 boards supported in 3.9?

Steve

Re: Via EPIA boards

Matt Rowley
> 1. How well supported are the C3 boards such as the M10000?

My home firewall is running on a PD10000.  Similar to the M10000, except with
two NICs.  NICs are supported.  I don't think Xorg supports the VIA graphics
chip, but doesn't matter to me.
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/78_76/products_id/234

> 2. I'd like to switch to a nice 1U case. Logicsupply has Casetronic and
> Morex cases which are nice; gtweb.net also has some. Other recommendations?

I bought mine from Logicsupply, along with a decent little Morex case.  (I'd
give ya a link to it, but it looks like Logicsupply doesn't carry my model
case any more).

> 4. Are the C7 boards supported in 3.9?

I'm running a 3.9 beta snapshot from January-ish.

--Matt

Re: Via EPIA boards

Timo Schoeler-2
thus Matt Rowley spake:

>> 1. How well supported are the C3 boards such as the M10000?
>
> My home firewall is running on a PD10000.  Similar to the M10000, except with
> two NICs.  NICs are supported.  I don't think Xorg supports the VIA graphics
> chip, but doesn't matter to me.
> http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/78_76/products_id/234
>
>> 2. I'd like to switch to a nice 1U case. Logicsupply has Casetronic and
>> Morex cases which are nice; gtweb.net also has some. Other recommendations?
>
> I bought mine from Logicsupply, along with a decent little Morex case.  (I'd
> give ya a link to it, but it looks like Logicsupply doesn't carry my model
> case any more).
>
>> 4. Are the C7 boards supported in 3.9?
>
> I'm running a 3.9 beta snapshot from January-ish.
>
> --Matt

serious question: can one get systems of this class with 'features' like
ECC memory?

timo

Re: Via EPIA boards

Olivier Cherrier
On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 02:12:03PM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> My home firewall is running on a PD10000.  Similar to the M10000, except with
> two NICs.  NICs are supported.  I don't think Xorg supports the VIA graphics
> chip, but doesn't matter to me.

Both the old X11 and new Xorg work great on the VIA graphics adaptator
commonly found on EPIA boards.

The vr(4) nics suck quite often for me. I have to power off the box to
recover a functionnal network interface.

Olivier Cherrier

Re: Via EPIA boards

Matt Rowley
> serious question: can one get systems of this class with 'features' like
> ECC memory?

Not 100% sure, but I do not think so.  There's no mention of ECC memory
support on VIA's webpages dedicated to the EPIA line.  Also, the memory
selector tool on crucial.com lists non-ecc memory only.

--Matt

Re: Via EPIA boards

Timo Schoeler-2
Thus Matt Rowley <[hidden email]> spake on Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:11:17
-0400:

> > serious question: can one get systems of this class with 'features'
> > like ECC memory?
>
> Not 100% sure, but I do not think so.  There's no mention of ECC
> memory support on VIA's webpages dedicated to the EPIA line.  Also,
> the memory selector tool on crucial.com lists non-ecc memory only.

hm. somehow missing ECC et al. keeps me from deploying such systems on
a regular basis... even when they're 'only' x86.

timo

Re: Via EPIA boards

Damian Gerow
Thus spake Timo Schoeler ([hidden email]) [18/04/06 08:33]:
: hm. somehow missing ECC et al. keeps me from deploying such systems on
: a regular basis... even when they're 'only' x86.

The systems, as much as I love 'em, are missing a few crucial 'features':

1) Proper RAID support
2) 3+ NIC support
3) 802.11 support
4) ECC memory

Though you can have, with a PCI slot, RAID, *or* 3+ NIC, *or* 802.11, you
can't get 'em all.  It would also be nice if their DP line eventually hit
the market...

Re: Via EPIA boards

Sebastian Benoit
Matt Rowley([hidden email]) on 2006.04.18 08:11:17 +0000:
> > serious question: can one get systems of this class with 'features' like
> > ECC memory?
>
> Not 100% sure, but I do not think so.  There's no mention of ECC memory
> support on VIA's webpages dedicated to the EPIA line.  Also, the memory
> selector tool on crucial.com lists non-ecc memory only.

The new CX700 chipset supports ECC memory:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/c-series/cx700/

/B.
--
Sebastian Benoit <[hidden email]>

Religion is for people who believe in hell; spirituality is for people
who've been there. -- David Bowie