VLAN on LACP trunk on em

Steven Shockley
I'm having some trouble getting multiple VLANs to work between a
PowerConnect 5224 switch, an LACP trunk, and two em ports.

I'm able to get the LACP trunk working and get one VLAN working, but I
can't get any other VLANs working.  Traffic for the one VLAN that works
seems to arrive both tagged and untagged on the trunk interface.

The machine I'm using is running an old version of OpenBSD, so I suspect
it might be a long-fixed bug.  Before I continue banging my head against
the wall, _should_ my configuration work?  I did find a message
(http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=130886074113099&w=2, second-to-last
paragraph) that implied that it might not, so if someone has multiple
VLANs working on an LACP trunk on em that'd be good to know.

Thanks.

Re: VLAN on LACP trunk on em

James Shupe-4
On 04/18/2012 10:28 PM, Steve Shockley wrote:

> I'm having some trouble getting multiple VLANs to work between a
> PowerConnect 5224 switch, an LACP trunk, and two em ports.
>
> I'm able to get the LACP trunk working and get one VLAN working, but I
> can't get any other VLANs working.  Traffic for the one VLAN that works
> seems to arrive both tagged and untagged on the trunk interface.
>

> The machine I'm using is running an old version of OpenBSD, so I suspect
> it might be a long-fixed bug.  Before I continue banging my head against
> the wall, _should_ my configuration work?  I did find a message
> (http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=130886074113099&w=2, second-to-last
> paragraph) that implied that it might not, so if someone has multiple
> VLANs working on an LACP trunk on em that'd be good to know.
>
> Thanks.

Works fine for me, even with the same switch (before upgrading to
something newer).

$ uname -srm
OpenBSD 5.0 amd64
$ ifconfig trunk0 | grep -E "trunkproto|trunkport"
        trunk: trunkproto lacp
                trunkport em3 active,collecting,distributing
                trunkport em2 active,collecting,distributing
$ ifconfig trunk1 | grep -E "trunkproto|trunkport"
        trunk: trunkproto lacp
                trunkport em1 active,collecting,distributing
                trunkport em0 active,collecting,distributing
$ ifconfig vlan | grep parent
        vlan: 160 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk0
        vlan: 161 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk1
        vlan: 167 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk0
        vlan: 186 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk1
        vlan: 2 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk1
        vlan: 200 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk0
        vlan: 250 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk0
        vlan: 255 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk0
        vlan: 2857 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk0
        vlan: 300 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk0
        vlan: 301 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk0
        vlan: 904 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk0
        vlan: 905 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk0
        vlan: 907 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk0
        vlan: 918 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk0
        vlan: 998 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk1
        vlan: 999 priority: 0 parent interface: trunk1

I've been using this config for several releases -- I know for a fact
that this specific client has been running that configuration since 4.6.
Upgrade and post your configs.

James Shupe

Re: VLAN on LACP trunk on em

Henning Brauer
* Steve Shockley <[hidden email]> [2012-04-19 05:29]:
> The machine I'm using is running an old version of OpenBSD, so I
> suspect it might be a long-fixed bug.  Before I continue banging my
> head against the wall, _should_ my configuration work?  I did find a
> message (http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=130886074113099&w=2,
> second-to-last paragraph) that implied that it might not, so if
> someone has multiple VLANs working on an LACP trunk on em that'd be
> good to know.

that is not only supposed to work, it usually does, I use this setup -
two ems, trunk, vlans on top of the trunk - a lot. most of the time
with trunk in failover mode, but that shouldn't make a difference. You
might see a bug in your switch here.

BS Web Services, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP
Secure Hosting, Mail and DNS Services. Dedicated Servers, Root to Fully Managed
Henning Brauer Consulting, http://henningbrauer.com/

Re: VLAN on LACP trunk on em

James Shupe-4
On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 14:08 +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:

> * Steve Shockley <[hidden email]> [2012-04-19 05:29]:
> > The machine I'm using is running an old version of OpenBSD, so I
> > suspect it might be a long-fixed bug.  Before I continue banging my
> > head against the wall, _should_ my configuration work?  I did find a
> > message (http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=130886074113099&w=2,
> > second-to-last paragraph) that implied that it might not, so if
> > someone has multiple VLANs working on an LACP trunk on em that'd be
> > good to know.
>
> that is not only supposed to work, it usually does, I use this setup -
> two ems, trunk, vlans on top of the trunk - a lot. most of the time
> with trunk in failover mode, but that shouldn't make a difference. You
> might see a bug in your switch here.

I've actually done this - VLAN on LACP on em on that exact switch
before. I still have one of those switches laying around to re-test with
and check the firmware version, but I know it works.

James Shupe

Re: VLAN on LACP trunk on em

Steven Shockley
Thanks everyone, I'll do a fresh install with 5.0 (or 5.1 if I wait too
long) and report back.