V240: bsd.rd boot over dhcp

Paolo Aglialoro
Hi all,

I'm trying to install OpenBSD on a V240 machine which will then make part of
the KDE4 devel effort for obsd :)
The point is that I need to consolidate a network install procedure for
-current, as this machine will be kept physically away from me. Otherwise it
won't be useful :((( Till now I always installed on sparc64 just by CD,
while on i386 I normally run PXE+FTP installs.

I configured the isc dhcp server like this:

option domain-name-servers 10.9.9.1,
208.67.222.222;
ddns-update-style
interim;

allow
booting;

allow
bootp;

default-lease-time
86400;

max-lease-time
604800;

authoritative;

host localrouter
{

        hardware ethernet
00:d0:59:bf:25:76;

        fixed-address
10.9.9.1;

}

subnet 10.9.9.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
{
        range 10.9.9.10
10.9.9.99;

        option routers
10.9.9.1;

        option subnet-mask
255.255.255.0;

        option broadcast-address
10.9.9.255;
        server-identifier
10.9.9.1;

        next-server
10.9.9.1;

        option root-path
"/var/tftpboot";

        filename "ofwboot.net";

#       filename
"pxeboot";

}

I also configured TFTP and prepared all the necessary files in their
locations. When I do:

{1} ok boot net:dhcp bsd.rd

I get the following:

SC Alert: Host System has
Reset
Probing system
devices

Probing
memory

Probing I/O
buses

Sun Fire V240, No
Keyboard

Copyright 2010 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights
reserved.
OpenBoot 4.30.4.a, 8192 MB memory installed, Serial
#66082565.
Ethernet address 0:3:ba:f0:57:5, Host ID:
83f05705.

Rebooting with command: boot net:dhcp
bsd.rd
Boot device: /pci@1f,700000/network@2:dhcp  File and args:
bsd.rd
1000 Mbps full duplex  Link
up

>> OpenBSD BOOT
1.4

1000 Mbps full duplex  Link
up

No response for RARP
request

open /pci@1f,700000/network@2:dhcp/bsd.rd: No such file or directory

It looks like it cannot find bsd.rd file (while it obviously finds
ofwboot.net).
If I give no options it says:

>> OpenBSD BOOT
1.4

Trying bsd...

Which is obviously not the file I need, because it ought to start bsd.rd.
Where am I wrong??? Can I specify bsd.rd only with rarp??? Or does it work
with dhcp either???
Thanks

Re: V240: bsd.rd boot over dhcp

Stuart Henderson
On 2011/10/26 19:32, Paolo Aglialoro wrote:

> Rebooting with command: boot net:dhcp
> bsd.rd
> Boot device: /pci@1f,700000/network@2:dhcp  File and args:
> bsd.rd
> 1000 Mbps full duplex  Link
> up
>
> >> OpenBSD BOOT
> 1.4
>
> 1000 Mbps full duplex  Link
> up
>
> No response for RARP
> request
>
> open /pci@1f,700000/network@2:dhcp/bsd.rd: No such file or directory
>

> It looks like it cannot find bsd.rd file (while it obviously finds
> ofwboot.net).
> If I give no options it says:
>
> >> OpenBSD BOOT
> 1.4
>
> Trying bsd...
>
> Which is obviously not the file I need, because it ought to start bsd.rd.
> Where am I wrong??? Can I specify bsd.rd only with rarp??? Or does it work
> with dhcp either???

ofwboot.net doesn't speak dhcp, only rarp, so you still need a machine
running rarpd.

Re: V240: bsd.rd boot over dhcp

Paolo Aglialoro
Too bad it doesn't (it would be great)... anyway thanks Stuart for the
useful explanation :)))