Upgrade to 5.2?

Chris M-2
Yesterday I upgraded from 5.1-release to -current. Is there any need to
upgrade to 5.2-release? Could this cause issues since -current is really
newer than what's on the 5.2 media?

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

Daniel Melameth
On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Matt M. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yesterday I upgraded from 5.1-release to -current. Is there any need to
> upgrade to 5.2-release? Could this cause issues since -current is really
> newer than what's on the 5.2 media?

You are now running bleeding edge software/what will evolve and become
5.3.  "Upgrading" this machine to 5.2 will actually be a downgrade and
this is unsupported.

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

Nick Holland
On 10/31/12 00:13, Daniel Melameth wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Matt M. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yesterday I upgraded from 5.1-release to -current. Is there any need to
>> upgrade to 5.2-release? Could this cause issues since -current is really
>> newer than what's on the 5.2 media?
>
> You are now running bleeding edge software/what will evolve and become
> 5.3.  "Upgrading" this machine to 5.2 will actually be a downgrade and
> this is unsupported.

exactly.
Please read the start of http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html

Nick.

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

Jamie Paul Griffin-11
/ Nick Holland wrote on Wed 31.Oct'12 at  7:03:48 -0400 /

> On 10/31/12 00:13, Daniel Melameth wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Matt M. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Yesterday I upgraded from 5.1-release to -current. Is there any need to
> >> upgrade to 5.2-release? Could this cause issues since -current is really
> >> newer than what's on the 5.2 media?
> >
> > You are now running bleeding edge software/what will evolve and become
> > 5.3.  "Upgrading" this machine to 5.2 will actually be a downgrade and
> > this is unsupported.
> >

> exactly.
> Please read the start of http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html
>
> Nick.

Will the 5.2 downloads be available tomorrow? I read 1 Nov is the release date for 5.2. I will be doing my first OpenBSD upgrade as i've only been using the OS for a few weeks now. Is it best to remove all packages prior to upgrade and then reinstall them or should we simply upgrade the packges using pkg_add -i once the upgrade has been completed? (Ihave read the documentation on the website, but just for clarity I thought i'd ask on list.)

Jamie.

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

Nick Holland
On 10/31/2012 07:17 AM, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:

> / Nick Holland wrote on Wed 31.Oct'12 at  7:03:48 -0400 /
>
>> On 10/31/12 00:13, Daniel Melameth wrote:
>>>
>>> You are now running bleeding edge software/what will evolve and
>>> become 5.3.  "Upgrading" this machine to 5.2 will actually be a
>>> downgrade and this is unsupported.
>>>

>> exactly. Please read the start of
>> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html
>>
>> Nick.
>
> Will the 5.2 downloads be available tomorrow? I read 1 Nov is the
> release date for 5.2.

and that would be tomorrow, yes.

> I will be doing my first OpenBSD upgrade as
> i've only been using the OS for a few weeks now. Is it best to remove
> all packages prior to upgrade and then reinstall them or should we
> simply upgrade the packges using pkg_add -i once the upgrade has been
> completed? (Ihave read the documentation on the website, but just for
> clarity I thought i'd ask on list.)
>
> Jamie.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade51.html
(and tomorrow....   http://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade52.html )

I believe nowhere suggests unloading all packages before upgrading.  If
you have found something official and current that suggests this, please
let me know.

The only reason to totally "unbuild" your machine and rebuild it would
be if your prior configuration was non-optimal (which is, admittedly,
often the case).  In that case, though, you are usually better off
totally reloading the machine from scratch.

Nick.

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

On 2012-10-31, Jamie Paul Griffin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>                                                  Is it best to
> remove all packages prior to upgrade and then reinstall them or
> should we simply upgrade the packges using pkg_add -i once the
> upgrade has been completed?

pkg_add -u - package upgrades have been pretty reliable for years now.

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

Jamie Paul Griffin-11
/ Stuart Henderson wrote on Wed 31.Oct'12 at 15:56:31 +0000 /

> On 2012-10-31, Jamie Paul Griffin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >                                                  Is it best to
> > remove all packages prior to upgrade and then reinstall them or
> > should we simply upgrade the packges using pkg_add -i once the
> > upgrade has been completed?
>
> pkg_add -u - package upgrades have been pretty reliable for years now.

yeah i meant the -u switch, that was a typo (sorry). I've just read the upgrade document and as I don't have that many packages installed I think i'll just back-up some config files and install from scratch. Probably the easiest and quickest method in my case. cheers, Jamie

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

Tyler Morgan
On 10/31/2012 9:48 AM, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:

> / Stuart Henderson wrote on Wed 31.Oct'12 at 15:56:31 +0000 /
>
>> On 2012-10-31, Jamie Paul Griffin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>                                                   Is it best to
>>> remove all packages prior to upgrade and then reinstall them or
>>> should we simply upgrade the packges using pkg_add -i once the
>>> upgrade has been completed?
>> pkg_add -u - package upgrades have been pretty reliable for years now.
> yeah i meant the -u switch, that was a typo (sorry). I've just read the upgrade document and as I don't have that many packages installed I think i'll just back-up some config files and install from scratch. Probably the easiest and quickest method in my case. cheers, Jamie

Don't do it! Seriously, the upgrade process is easy, and is worth
becoming familiar with. At least give it a shot since you're planning on
reinstalling anyway. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

For a long time I did fresh installs too since my average OpenBSD box is
a router with ~15 files changed from default and little to no packages
so it was trivial to recreate, and even then I should have been
upgrading in hindsight.

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

Jamie Paul Griffin-11
/ Tyler Morgan wrote on Wed 31.Oct'12 at 20:04:11 -0700 /

> Don't do it! Seriously, the upgrade process is easy, and is worth
> becoming familiar with. At least give it a shot since you're
> planning on reinstalling anyway. I think you'll be pleasantly
> surprised!
>
> For a long time I did fresh installs too since my average OpenBSD
> box is a router with ~15 files changed from default and little to no
> packages so it was trivial to recreate, and even then I should have
> been upgrading in hindsight.

Yeah sure i'll give it go. It would make life a bit easier anyway if all goes to plan.

Thanks for your comments. Jamie

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

Jamie Paul Griffin-11
/ Tyler Morgan wrote on Wed 31.Oct'12 at 20:04:11 -0700 /

> Don't do it! Seriously, the upgrade process is easy, and is worth
> becoming familiar with. At least give it a shot since you're
> planning on reinstalling anyway. I think you'll be pleasantly
> surprised!

Just out of curiosity, do you think the easiest method is to use the bds.rd method or should I use a CD to do the upgrade, is one method preferred or easier over the other?

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

Anders Trobäck-2
Den Thu, 1 Nov 2012 08:11:26 +0000
skrev Jamie Paul Griffin <[hidden email]>:

> / Tyler Morgan wrote on Wed 31.Oct'12 at 20:04:11 -0700 /
>
> > Don't do it! Seriously, the upgrade process is easy, and is worth
> > becoming familiar with. At least give it a shot since you're
> > planning on reinstalling anyway. I think you'll be pleasantly
> > surprised!
>
> Just out of curiosity, do you think the easiest method is to use the
> bds.rd method or should I use a CD to do the upgrade, is one method
> preferred or easier over the other?

I always (well almost, I have some systems where I do the tar thing) use
bsd.rd and it has worked perfect for me every time so far! I don't know
if it's the official preferred way but it's the way I prefer!:-)

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

Anders Trobäck-2
Den Thu, 1 Nov 2012 09:34:50 +0100
skrev Anders Trobäck <[hidden email]>:

> Den Thu, 1 Nov 2012 08:11:26 +0000
> skrev Jamie Paul Griffin <[hidden email]>:
>
> > / Tyler Morgan wrote on Wed 31.Oct'12 at 20:04:11 -0700 /
> >
> > > Don't do it! Seriously, the upgrade process is easy, and is worth
> > > becoming familiar with. At least give it a shot since you're
> > > planning on reinstalling anyway. I think you'll be pleasantly
> > > surprised!
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, do you think the easiest method is to use the
> > bds.rd method or should I use a CD to do the upgrade, is one method
> > preferred or easier over the other?
>
> I always (well almost, I have some systems where I do the tar thing)
> use bsd.rd and it has worked perfect for me every time so far! I
> don't know if it's the official preferred way but it's the way I
> prefer!:-)

Don't forget to buy something else or donate to support the project;-)

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

Otto Moerbeek
On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 09:34:50AM +0100, Anders Trob?ck wrote:

> Den Thu, 1 Nov 2012 08:11:26 +0000
> skrev Jamie Paul Griffin <[hidden email]>:
>
> > / Tyler Morgan wrote on Wed 31.Oct'12 at 20:04:11 -0700 /
> >
> > > Don't do it! Seriously, the upgrade process is easy, and is worth
> > > becoming familiar with. At least give it a shot since you're
> > > planning on reinstalling anyway. I think you'll be pleasantly
> > > surprised!
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, do you think the easiest method is to use the
> > bds.rd method or should I use a CD to do the upgrade, is one method
> > preferred or easier over the other?
>
> I always (well almost, I have some systems where I do the tar thing) use
> bsd.rd and it has worked perfect for me every time so far! I don't know
> if it's the official preferred way but it's the way I prefer!:-)

Doing an upgrade running bsd.rd loaded from a disk is pretty much the
same as loading bsd.rd from cd. It's actually the same file, so do
what is most convenient for you.

The cd has alls the sets, in some cases it is faster than using net.
In other cases using the net is faster or more convenient. Decide for
yourself.

untarring the sets and copying the kernel by hand is not recommended.

        -Otto

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

Kevin Chadwick-2
> > > Don't do it! Seriously, the upgrade process is easy, and is worth
> > > becoming familiar with. At least give it a shot since you're
> > > planning on reinstalling anyway. I think you'll be pleasantly
> > > surprised!
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, do you think the easiest method is to use the
> > bds.rd method or should I use a CD to do the upgrade, is one method
> > preferred or easier over the other?
>
> I always (well almost, I have some systems where I do the tar thing) use
> bsd.rd and it has worked perfect for me every time so far! I don't know
> if it's the official preferred way but it's the way I prefer!:-)

I use installation scripts and test from scratch on a seperate system
first. I guess it is a little more work especially initially but it is
self documenting to a large degree and as I say makes it easy to
conduct quick tests.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

Eric Furman-3
On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 09:34:50AM +0100, Anders Trob?ck wrote:

>> Den Thu, 1 Nov 2012 08:11:26 +0000
>> skrev Jamie Paul Griffin <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> > / Tyler Morgan wrote on Wed 31.Oct'12 at 20:04:11 -0700 /

>> > Just out of curiosity, do you think the easiest method is to use the
>> > bds.rd method or should I use a CD to do the upgrade, is one method
>> > preferred or easier over the other?
>>
>>> I always (well almost, I have some systems where I do the tar thing) use
>>> bsd.rd and it has worked perfect for me every time so far! I don't know
>>> if it's the official preferred way but it's the way I prefer!:-)
>

>Doing an upgrade running bsd.rd loaded from a disk is pretty much the
>same as loading bsd.rd from cd. It's actually the same file, so do
>what is most convenient for you.
>
>The cd has alls the sets, in some cases it is faster than using net.
>In other cases using the net is faster or more convenient. Decide for
>yourself.
>
>untarring the sets and copying the kernel by hand is not recommended.
>
> -Otto

By the "tar thing" he probably means,
 http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Multiple

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

Jamie Paul Griffin-11
/ Anders Trobäck wrote on Thu  1.Nov'12 at  9:40:43 +0100 /

> Den Thu, 1 Nov 2012 09:34:50 +0100
> skrev Anders Trobäck <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Den Thu, 1 Nov 2012 08:11:26 +0000
> > skrev Jamie Paul Griffin <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > > / Tyler Morgan wrote on Wed 31.Oct'12 at 20:04:11 -0700 /

> > > Just out of curiosity, do you think the easiest method is to use the
> > > bds.rd method or should I use a CD to do the upgrade, is one method
> > > preferred or easier over the other?
> >
> > I always (well almost, I have some systems where I do the tar thing)
> > use bsd.rd and it has worked perfect for me every time so far! I
> > don't know if it's the official preferred way but it's the way I
> > prefer!:-)
>
> Don't forget to buy something else or donate to support the project;-)

Absolutely. I am a CS student so funds currently are a bit limited but having used the OS for a short time, I love it and will certainly make a donation ASAP. My favourite OS by far which reads a bit arse-licky but so what. I'd be happy to support a project like this. Thanks for the help. Jamie

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

Kurt Mosiejczuk
Otto Moerbeek wrote:

> untarring the sets and copying the kernel by hand is not recommended.

I used the perfect phrase for this in a presentation on PF a week ago:

"You wouldn't ever do this... unless maybe you hate yourself."

--Kurt

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

William Ahern-2
On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 08:11:26AM +0000, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> / Tyler Morgan wrote on Wed 31.Oct'12 at 20:04:11 -0700 /
>
> > Don't do it! Seriously, the upgrade process is easy, and is worth
> > becoming familiar with. At least give it a shot since you're
> > planning on reinstalling anyway. I think you'll be pleasantly
> > surprised!
>
> Just out of curiosity, do you think the easiest method is to use the bds.rd method or should I use a CD to do the upgrade, is one method preferred or easier over the other?

I've been doing remote upgrades for almost 12 years, sometimes from
thousands of miles away (i.e. no room for error). 5.2 will be maybe my 20th
upgrade on my main server, give or take a few machine changes. I just
carefully follow the upgrade guide:

        http://openbsd.org/faq/upgrade51.html

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

russell-38
On 11/01/2012 07:04 AM, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

> Otto Moerbeek wrote:
>
>> untarring the sets and copying the kernel by hand is not recommended.
>
> I used the perfect phrase for this in a presentation on PF a week ago:
>
> "You wouldn't ever do this... unless maybe you hate yourself."
>
> --Kurt

Err, I do this all the time.
if there is a better way I would love to hear it.
as I pretty much had to figure it out myself.

See my use case is I have a number of netboot trees
and when I want to update one of them I have found the best way is to
untar all the sets and put the kernel where it can be found, really I
just more or less followed what the install script did.

The hard part was getting /dev(first sparc64 machine) built. I think I
used bsd.rd for this. I was going off the theory different archs would
have different dev numbers(I could be wrong)

Every once in a while I work on scripting the process but this is just
for fun right now.

Re: Upgrade to 5.2?

Marcus MERIGHI
[hidden email] (russell), 2012.11.01 (Thu) 21:59 (CET):

> On 11/01/2012 07:04 AM, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> >Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> >
> >>untarring the sets and copying the kernel by hand is not recommended.
> >
> >I used the perfect phrase for this in a presentation on PF a week ago:
> >
> >"You wouldn't ever do this... unless maybe you hate yourself."
> >
> >--Kurt
> >
> Err, I do this all the time.

yeah, I hate myself, too. For years already...
But my script stops and asks aloud: "HAVE YOU READ CURRENT.HTML LATELY?"

Bye, Marcus