Upgrade procedure encrypted filesystem (6.4 -> 6.5)

Upgrade procedure encrypted filesystem (6.4 -> 6.5)

niya levi
hi everyone
when upgrading my laptop which is encrypted with a keydisk
i assume that i boot the 6.5 kernel which will be on a usb stick with
the keydisk inserted,
will the hard drive still be decrypted and upgraded,
also will the encryption step need to be redone or will the keydisk
continue to unlock the 6.5 filesystem on subsequent reboots.
thanks
shadrock

Re: Upgrade procedure encrypted filesystem (6.4 -> 6.5)

quisquous
On 05/06, shadrock uhuru wrote:
>hi everyone
>when upgrading my laptop which is encrypted with a keydisk
>i assume that i boot the 6.5 kernel which will be on a usb stick with
>the keydisk inserted,
>will the hard drive still be decrypted and upgraded,

yes

>also will the encryption step need to be redone

no

>or will the keydisk
>continue to unlock the 6.5 filesystem on subsequent reboots.

yes

That's how it worked for my anyway. I'm not an OpenBSD dev and I've not
read the code, so YMMV.

On 5/7/19 9:16 PM, Omar Polo wrote:

> On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 02:04:03AM +0100, shadrock uhuru wrote:

>>> Just follow the guide[1]: during the upgrade process the installer will
>>> ask you what disk contains the installation.  Be sure to point it to
>>> the right disk.  The disk will (of course!) still be encrypted after
>>> the upgrade, and you won't need to do anything else.
>>>
>>> [1]: https://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade65.html
>> many thanks Omar
> I've forgot one thing (hope it's not too late.)  Point the installer
> to the right *virtual* disk.  For example, in my case I have a disk
> (attached as sd0) with FDE.  When decrypted, a virtual disk sd1 is
> attached, so when I upgrade I point the installer to sd1.  In any case,
> the installer will try to mount the partitions, so you should see an
> error if you point it to the wrong disk.
>
> Also, sorry if I wrote directly to you instead of replying to the ml.
> As always, I foget to CC :)
either way works for me.
Hi Omar and all who helped
i got it upgraded, it was way easier than i expected,
i've got a couple of follow up queries concerning post upgrade things todo.

--- -dbus-1.12.10p0v0 -------------------
Remember to update /etc/machine-id
how do i update machine_id, i didn't find any man pages to explain ?

--- -libxml-2.9.8p0 -------------------
Remember to update /var/db/xmlcatalog
how do i update /var/db/xmlcatalog, found man xmlcatalog but mentions
nothing about updating ?

--- -node-8.12.0 -------------------
Error deleting directory /usr/local/lib/kde4/plugins: Directory not empty
/usr/local/lib/kde4/plugins contains:

ls /usr/local/lib/kde4/plugins

accessible            imageformats          phonon_s_backend
accessiblebridge      kauth                 script
designer              kscreen               styles
grantlee              marble
gui_platform          phonon_platform

should i go ahead and delete everything in the directory manually ?

shadrock

Re: Upgrade procedure encrypted filesystem (6.4 -> 6.5)

chohag
shadrock uhuru writes:
> i've got a couple of follow up queries concerning post upgrade things todo.
>
> --- -dbus-1.12.10p0v0 -------------------
> Remember to update /etc/machine-id
> how do i update machine_id, i didn't find any man pages to explain ?

Ignore it. Nothing bad will happen. It's a linuxism.

> --- -libxml-2.9.8p0 -------------------
> Remember to update /var/db/xmlcatalog
> how do i update /var/db/xmlcatalog, found man xmlcatalog but mentions
> nothing about updating ?

Ignore it. Nothing bad will happen. Nothing done in XML ever mattered.

> --- -node-8.12.0 -------------------
> Error deleting directory /usr/local/lib/kde4/plugins: Directory not empty
> /usr/local/lib/kde4/plugins contains:
>
> ls /usr/local/lib/kde4/plugins
>
> accessible            imageformats          phonon_s_backend
> accessiblebridge      kauth                 script
> designer              kscreen               styles
> grantlee              marble
> gui_platform          phonon_platform
>
> should i go ahead and delete everything in the directory manually ?

Remove everything that is to do with KDE and go and quietly contemplate
the life choices which led to you having it installed in the first place.

Matthew

On 5/9/19 11:56 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> shadrock uhuru writes:
>> i've got a couple of follow up queries concerning post upgrade things todo.
>>
>> --- -dbus-1.12.10p0v0 -------------------
>> Remember to update /etc/machine-id
>> how do i update machine_id, i didn't find any man pages to explain ?
> Ignore it. Nothing bad will happen. It's a linuxism.
>
>> --- -libxml-2.9.8p0 -------------------
>> Remember to update /var/db/xmlcatalog
>> how do i update /var/db/xmlcatalog, found man xmlcatalog but mentions
>> nothing about updating ?
> Ignore it. Nothing bad will happen. Nothing done in XML ever mattered.
>
>> --- -node-8.12.0 -------------------
>> Error deleting directory /usr/local/lib/kde4/plugins: Directory not empty
>> /usr/local/lib/kde4/plugins contains:
>>
>> ls /usr/local/lib/kde4/plugins
>>
>> accessible            imageformats          phonon_s_backend
>> accessiblebridge      kauth                 script
>> designer              kscreen               styles
>> grantlee              marble
>> gui_platform          phonon_platform
>>
>> should i go ahead and delete everything in the directory manually ?
> Remove everything that is to do with KDE and go and quietly contemplate
> the life choices which led to you having it installed in the first place.
Hi chohag
it was a leftover when i first installed my laptop
used it for about a week then switch to I3 and never looked back.
will pkg_delete kde4 remove it all ?
shadrock
> Matthew

Re: Upgrade procedure encrypted filesystem (6.4 -> 6.5)

Stuart Henderson
>> Remove everything that is to do with KDE and go and quietly contemplate
>> the life choices which led to you having it installed in the first place.
> Hi chohag
> it was a leftover when i first installed my laptop
> used it for about a week then switch to I3 and never looked back.
> will pkg_delete kde4 remove it all ?

No. The kde4 "meta-package" is just a set of dependencies to get the
other parts installed easily. Uninstalling a package doesn't automatically
remove depended-on packages.

You can uninstall *all* packages that were pulled in automatically via a
dependency that are no longer needed by another package with "pkg_delete
-a". But this might remove more than you want; maybe a package was only
installed as a dependency but now you do actually want to use it; in
that case the simplest option is to review the output from pkg_delete -a
and re-install manually as needed.