Upgrade 5.6->5.7->5.8 broke claws-mail's GPG agent tie in

Upgrade 5.6->5.7->5.8 broke claws-mail's GPG agent tie in

Damon Getsman
  I have recently upgraded my OpenBSD server from 5.6 to 5.8 (following
the appropriate procedure and not skipping upgrades, of course).
Unfortunately, when I finished the 2 hops from 5.6 to 5.8, I realized
that claws-mail was no longer able to access the GPG key agent (I think
that's what it uses, my apologies if I'm using the wrong terminology)
and had switched to using some console based passphrase dialog.
  This wouldn't be a problem except my OBSD machine runs headless.
Most of its duties require no interaction, but I also use it for my
secure communications box...  This includes claws-mail and sending
digitally clearsigned messages.  Everything was working fine @ 5.6, the
connections tunneled properly to ask for the key phrase before signing
the message...  Now, though, even if I don't background the process and
leave it in control of the shell, typing the pass phrase isn't
working.
  Ideally I'd like to get things back to the point where I'm able to
have that tunneled GPG key agent ask me for the phrase and like
actually work again...  I'd settle for having to run claws-mail in the
foreground and typing in the passphrase on console, too, if I
absolutely had to, but I don't know what's going on with the inability
to authenticate for the key there...
  Any helpful suggestions, pointers, intuition, anything, would be of
great assistance here.  Please let me know if you need any more
information or facts surrounding the matter that I can supply to make
this more useful.  Thank you for your time and consideration on this
matter!

  -Damo

Re: Upgrade 5.6->5.7->5.8 broke claws-mail's GPG agent tie in

Daniel Jakots
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 07:58:26 -0800, Damon Getsman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I realized
> that claws-mail was no longer able to access the GPG key agent (I
> think that's what it uses, my apologies if I'm using the wrong
> terminology) and had switched to using some console based passphrase
> dialog.

Hi,

First of all, you should address this kind of email to ports@ while
CC'ing the maintainer (which is me for claws so it's not needed for
now). :)

For your problem, claws-mail uses gpgme which itself use any gnupg when
it runs but it needs gnupg2 to build. The dialog window for the
passphrase (even if empty) AFAIK comes with gnupg2. So you should try
to have gnupg on your system but not gnupg2 and it should work.

I already had this problem and I solved it as I said.

Cheers,
Daniel