Update to page http://openbsd.org/want.html

Adam D. Morley
Hi,

I (my company) recently sent an mpt card to a developer in Canada.  I'd
used airmail in the past (always worked fine before, never any trouble
but kinda slow), but this time I used express mail so I could get a
tracking number.  It was a ridiculous ordeal involving a subcontractor.
Ken (the developer)'s whole message is below.  I would love to see a big
warning on want.html that says (in addition to UPS), "DON'T USE EXPRESS
MAIL!!!!" or the like, and the reason why (see below).  Thanks a bunch

ken's mail:
The card has arrived. Apparently intact.

What a nightmare. :-).

Apparently the problem was your use of 'Express Mail'
at the USPS. For reasons that boggle my mind this
meant it got handled by a private courier company
(Purolator) that Canada Post has subcontracted for
this class of mail.

But, Canada Post explicitly forbids them from trying
to deliver it more than once, leaving it at the
destination or moving it from their central location
in Toronto (30 miles away from me) to their location a
couple of blocks down the street.

But of course their customer reps don't all know this
so they at first said they could transfer it.

When I finally talked to someone more in the know
after a fruitless visit to the local storefront, they
were about to ship it back (Canada Post contract won't
allow them to keep it >5 days even if they know I'm
coming). So panic taxi ride this morning to intercept
it before it left.

Whew.

Thanks for the card. Next time I'll just come to
Bellevue and pick it up. :-).
--end ken's mail

It would also be useful to know if FedEx or DHL works better.  I'm
assuming DHL probably does because I get things from China using DHL,
and no customs trouble. . .
--
Adam Morley
General Microsystems Inc.

Re: Update to page http://openbsd.org/want.html

beck-7
        Fedex airborne or express workes very well.

        Fedex ground has a similar problem to UPS - they may
deliver the package and then show up with sand in the vaseline
later to charge you 50 dollars for the "outside customs broker"
to comput 7% times the value of the item and tell you you owe
3.27 in GST and 50 bucks in brokerage fees.

        Note as well, REGULAR U.S. Mail to canada works very very
well. Using the regular usps service is just peachy fine.

        -Bob

* Adam D. Morley <[hidden email]> [2005-12-01 15:49]:

> Hi,
>
> I (my company) recently sent an mpt card to a developer in Canada.  I'd
> used airmail in the past (always worked fine before, never any trouble
> but kinda slow), but this time I used express mail so I could get a
> tracking number.  It was a ridiculous ordeal involving a subcontractor.
> Ken (the developer)'s whole message is below.  I would love to see a big
> warning on want.html that says (in addition to UPS), "DON'T USE EXPRESS
> MAIL!!!!" or the like, and the reason why (see below).  Thanks a bunch
>
> ken's mail:
> The card has arrived. Apparently intact.
>
> What a nightmare. :-).
>
> Apparently the problem was your use of 'Express Mail'
> at the USPS. For reasons that boggle my mind this
> meant it got handled by a private courier company
> (Purolator) that Canada Post has subcontracted for
> this class of mail.
>
> But, Canada Post explicitly forbids them from trying
> to deliver it more than once, leaving it at the
> destination or moving it from their central location
> in Toronto (30 miles away from me) to their location a
> couple of blocks down the street.
>
> But of course their customer reps don't all know this
> so they at first said they could transfer it.
>
> When I finally talked to someone more in the know
> after a fruitless visit to the local storefront, they
> were about to ship it back (Canada Post contract won't
> allow them to keep it >5 days even if they know I'm
> coming). So panic taxi ride this morning to intercept
> it before it left.
>
> Whew.
>
> Thanks for the card. Next time I'll just come to
> Bellevue and pick it up. :-).
> --end ken's mail
>
> It would also be useful to know if FedEx or DHL works better.  I'm
> assuming DHL probably does because I get things from China using DHL,
> and no customs trouble. . .
> --
> Adam Morley
> General Microsystems Inc.
> 425-644-2233

| | |      The ASCII Fork Campaign
 \|/   against gratuitous use of threads.

Re: Update to page http://openbsd.org/want.html

Austin Hook
Yes, I agree, dont use USPS "Express" mail to Canada, use USPS "Priority
Mail" instead.

Just to forewarn against any confusion: There is an almost scary name
change as USPS "Priority Mail" crosses the border: it becomes Canada
Post's "Express Post", but the main thing is that it doesn't become Canada
Post's wonky Purolator "courier" service.  Canada's "express" service is a
lower class of service than US's "express" service, and actually
corresponds to the US "priority" service.  In any case by keeping to the
lower class of service, it stays in the ordinary mail system.

Certain types of air courier service (other than Purolator) are OK.

FEDEX courier air used to be good, but now they don't even have service to
some of the smaller towns, and so they mail stuff from big cities to small
towns.

UPS AIR is probably the best courier service from USA to Canada these
days.  They hit more target addresses than FEDEX.

Never, never, ever, use any type of ground courier service from USA to
Canada.  UPS ground is actually the worst ground service.

Computer Shop which does the OpenBSD distribution from Milk River,
Alberta, right near the US border, has both a USPS mail box in Sweet
Grass, MT and a UPS warehouse pickup address there.  Items supporting
OpenBSD activities can be shipped to the Sweet Grass, MT locations, and we
can bring stuff across the border, and re-ship as necessary from here.
UPS courier AIR will get it there faster and most reliably, and that is
probably the most important perspective.  However, we can sometimes
minimize shipping, or duty, or GST tax costs, if shipped through us.
Contact me as necessary.

Austin Hook
Milk River, AB

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Adam D. Morley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I (my company) recently sent an mpt card to a developer in Canada.  I'd
> used airmail in the past (always worked fine before, never any trouble
> but kinda slow), but this time I used express mail so I could get a
> tracking number.  It was a ridiculous ordeal involving a subcontractor.
> Ken (the developer)'s whole message is below.  I would love to see a big
> warning on want.html that says (in addition to UPS), "DON'T USE EXPRESS
> MAIL!!!!" or the like, and the reason why (see below).  Thanks a bunch
>
> ken's mail:
> The card has arrived. Apparently intact.
>
> What a nightmare. :-).
>
> Apparently the problem was your use of 'Express Mail'
> at the USPS. For reasons that boggle my mind this
> meant it got handled by a private courier company
> (Purolator) that Canada Post has subcontracted for
> this class of mail.
>
> But, Canada Post explicitly forbids them from trying
> to deliver it more than once, leaving it at the
> destination or moving it from their central location
> in Toronto (30 miles away from me) to their location a
> couple of blocks down the street.
>
> But of course their customer reps don't all know this
> so they at first said they could transfer it.
>
> When I finally talked to someone more in the know
> after a fruitless visit to the local storefront, they
> were about to ship it back (Canada Post contract won't
> allow them to keep it >5 days even if they know I'm
> coming). So panic taxi ride this morning to intercept
> it before it left.
>
> Whew.
>
> Thanks for the card. Next time I'll just come to
> Bellevue and pick it up. :-).
> --end ken's mail
>
> It would also be useful to know if FedEx or DHL works better.  I'm
> assuming DHL probably does because I get things from China using DHL,
> and no customs trouble. . .
> --
> Adam Morley
> General Microsystems Inc.
> 425-644-2233

Re: Update to page http://openbsd.org/want.html

J.C. Roberts-2
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:41:39 -0800, "Adam D. Morley" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I (my company) recently sent an mpt card to a developer in Canada.  I'd
>used airmail in the past (always worked fine before, never any trouble
>but kinda slow), but this time I used express mail so I could get a
>tracking number.  It was a ridiculous ordeal involving a subcontractor.
>Ken (the developer)'s whole message is below.  I would love to see a big
>warning on want.html that says (in addition to UPS), "DON'T USE EXPRESS
>MAIL!!!!" or the like, and the reason why (see below).  Thanks a bunch

<snip>

The only experience I have is shipping from here in the US to folks in
other parts of the world. Hopefully it will help those wishing to do the
same.

United Parcel Service (UPS w/crap brown trucks) tends to mangle
packages, both here in the US and especially when shipping to other
countries. If you can avoid using UPS, you are much better off.

The US Postal Service (USPS) works fairly well as long as you avoid
their "Express Mail" service. Instead use their "Priority Mail" or
"Priority Airmail" services.

FedEx works great to Canada but its not cheap and as of this time last
year, you *must* have a FedEx account (free) to send things to Canada or
Mexico. This is, of course, due to the Department of Homeland Paranoia
in the US as well as it's equivalent in Canada.

Even when you're dealing with heavy gear (complete systems etc.), FedEx
from the US to Canada is at least somewhat reasonable.

Shipping from the US to developers in the EU is costly no matter how you
do it. If you want it to get there quickly (i.e. in a week or so) expect
the cost to be outrageous. If you can be patient and wait six to eight
weeks for delivery, using the US Postal Service "freight" is the least
expensive route.

Realize there are various weight limitations for packages sent to
various countries in the EU. The limits are roughly between 45 and 75
pounds depending on country. You can find a list of countries and their
package limits on the USPS web site.

When shipping full systems, expect abuse and pad the hell out of them.
Removing pluggable parts (i.e. RAM, disks and such) and
padding/pacakaging it separately is just a smart move and can save an
over-excited developer the disappointment of watching their new toy go
up in smoke when they plug it in the first time without checking the
seating of everything.

Talk to the person you are shipping the item to for the best way to
"describe" the package contents. Different countries have different
rules about different stuff and different taxes they will place on
things. The words "eight to ten year old obsolete computer parts" tends
to get the point across to the folks at customs.

With the adoption of RoHS/Weee (i.e. environment friendly "no lead"
initiatives) could have an impact on what you can send to different
places, so check the requirements of your destination before shipping.

Well I hope the above helps...

Kind Regards,
JCR

Re: Update to page http://openbsd.org/want.html

Adam D. Morley
Hi Bob, Austin, JC and the rest of www@,

All the information you guys provided is quite helpful to me.  Is there
a way it could be placed on want.html?  It seems like it would be useful
to others too, and asking www@ isn't where I would look for shipping
tips&tricks.

Adam Morley
General Microsystems Inc.
425-644-2233
[hidden email]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type multipart/digest]