Update man.openbsd.org with FreeBSD releases?

Update man.openbsd.org with FreeBSD releases?

jungle Boogie
Hi All,

Thankfully man.openbsd.org has many *BSD man pages available so I don't have to
search many websites with a less inferior user interface.

However, it seems the most recent FreeBSD manpages available are from the 11.1
release. 12.0 is the latest current release of FreeBSD. Should those manpages be
availabl on man.openbsd.org as a dropdown selection?

Thanks!

Re: Update man.openbsd.org with FreeBSD releases?

Ingo Schwarze
Hi Jungle Boogie,

Jungle Boogie wrote on Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 03:56:03PM -0800:

> Thankfully man.openbsd.org has many *BSD man pages available
> so I don't have to search many websites with a less inferior
> user interface.
>
> However, it seems the most recent FreeBSD manpages available
> are from the 11.1 release.

Are they?

> 12.0 is the latest current release of FreeBSD.
> Should those manpages be availabl on man.openbsd.org
> as a dropdown selection?

I think i added FreeBSD-12.0 - not that long ago, two weeks maybe...

Does FreeBSD-12.0 not work for you?  If so, what exactly are you
typing and/or clicking, and what exactly happens for you?

That said, i'm notoriously bad at add noticing when other projects
publish new releases (i even managed to miss OpenBSD releases in
that respect, duh).  Consequently, people are welcome to remind me
directly if a release comes out that interests them.

Yours,
  Ingo

Re: Update man.openbsd.org with FreeBSD releases?

lists-2
Thu, 21 Feb 2019 01:16:01 +0100 Ingo Schwarze <[hidden email]>
> Hi Jungle Boogie,
>
> Jungle Boogie wrote on Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 03:56:03PM -0800:
>
> > Thankfully man.openbsd.org has many *BSD man pages available
> > so I don't have to search many websites with a less inferior
> > user interface.

Hi Jungle Boogie, Ingo, misc@,

I have to add one comment here:  "less" is superior interface, typically.
Interesting, I can't find an obvious way to install these locally though.

> > However, it seems the most recent FreeBSD manpages available
> > are from the 11.1 release.
>
> Are they?

$ ftp -o - https://man.openbsd.org/ 2> /dev/null | \
  sed -n "/manpath/,/\/select/p" | grep option | \
  cut -d\> -f2 | cut -d\< -f1 | sort -nr

Probably, FreeBSD-12.0 was positioned out of group in the drop down list.
The drop down list is (intentionally) not sorted https://man.openbsd.org/

> > 12.0 is the latest current release of FreeBSD.
> > Should those manpages be availabl on man.openbsd.org
> > as a dropdown selection?
>
> I think i added FreeBSD-12.0 - not that long ago, two weeks maybe...

Could you please point to the cvsweb page for this list or the changelog?

> That said, i'm notoriously bad at add noticing when other projects
> publish new releases (i even managed to miss OpenBSD releases in
> that respect, duh).  Consequently, people are welcome to remind me
> directly if a release comes out that interests them.

There is one port (and package) of the POSIX manual pages, probably this:

https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/books/man-pages-posix/
https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/~checkout~/ports/books/man-pages-posix/Makefile
https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/~checkout~/ports/books/man-pages-posix/pkg/DESCR
https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/~checkout~/ports/books/man-pages-posix/pkg/PLIST
https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/~checkout~/ports/books/man-pages-posix/pkg/README

Maybe there are none ports for the others in the list, and they are added
manually, please kindly share details of the process used to offer these.

> Yours,
>   Ingo

Thank you ALL for the manual pages & the time, and care dedicated to this
and other questions related (sometimes not quite), very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Anton Lazarov

Re: Update man.openbsd.org with FreeBSD releases?

Ingo Schwarze
Hi Anton,

[hidden email] wrote on Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 09:00:27AM +0200:

> Probably, FreeBSD-12.0 was positioned out of group in the drop down list.
> The drop down list is (intentionally) not sorted https://man.openbsd.org/

Actually, i do keep the drop-down-list sorted, as follows:

 1. OpenBSD-current
 2. supported OpenBSD-stable releases, most recent first
 3. POSIX
 4. most important historical ancestors, most recent first
 5. supported releases of sister *BSD projects
 6. Linux man pages project
 7. unsupported OpenBSD-stable releases, most recent first
 8. older releases of sister *BSD projects
 9. oder releases of the Linux man pages project

> Thu, 21 Feb 2019 01:16:01 +0100 Ingo Schwarze <[hidden email]>

>> I think i added FreeBSD-12.0 - not that long ago, two weeks maybe...

> Could you please point to the cvsweb page for this list or the changelog?

Neither exists.

The file /var/www/man/manpath.conf is not under version control,
and i don't think it needs to be.

> There is one port (and package) of the POSIX manual pages, probably this:
> https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/books/man-pages-posix/

Yes, that is what the POSIX-2013 dropdown entry serves up.

> Maybe there are none ports for the others in the list,

Correct, the other dropdown entries are not derived from any ports.

> and they are added manually, please kindly share details of the
> process used to offer these.

The ad-hoc scripts i use to set these up are nothing to be proud of.
In a nutshell, the process is:

 1. Download the distribution tarballs from an official distribution
    website of a sister *BSD project.
 2. Extract them to a temporary working directory.
 3. Reshuffle directories as far as that may be needed
    in the individual case.
 4. Uncompress individual manual pages if they are compressed
    in the distribution tarballs.
 5. Run makewhatis(8).
 6. Move the resulting tree below /var/www/man/.
 7. Edit /var/www/man/manpath.conf manually.

I prefer to not publish the scripts.  Whenever the sister projects
modify details of the formats of their distribution tarballs, they
are prone to needing slight modifications, and i'd hate getting
people confused by old or broken versions floating around the web.

Putting them under version control would be a waste of my time.
There is no need to test and commit them.  Basically, they are
one-shot scripts.  As soon as their job is done once, they are
no longer of interest, not even to me.

Yours,
  Ingo