Unusual keyboard behaviour

ryv

Unusual keyboard behaviour

ryv
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone can help me? I have a Sun Blade 1500 running OpenBSD
5.0/Sparc64 and with a PCI PGX video card instead of the XVR-600 junk it
shipped with. Once I did this swap it actually became usable as a desktop.

I've installed the Gnome desktop with GDM etc using a very useful guide
from the net. Everything works except the keyboard does random strange
things. It will, for example, keep a CTRL-D in it's buffer after I've
exited a terminal session and I then can't open another terminal without it
instantly closing.

If I've hit enter to execute a command it will not only execute the command
but continue behaving as if I've hit enter 50 times.

Does anyone perhaps have a tip about how I might deal with this? I'm only a
beginner with OpenBSD so it's highly likely I'm missing something obvious
and my Google-fu is letting me down.

Thanks.

Angus

Re: Unusual keyboard behaviour

Matthieu Herrb
On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 01:35:49PM +1100, Angus Beath wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Wondering if anyone can help me? I have a Sun Blade 1500 running OpenBSD
> 5.0/Sparc64 and with a PCI PGX video card instead of the XVR-600 junk it
> shipped with. Once I did this swap it actually became usable as a desktop.
>
> I've installed the Gnome desktop with GDM etc using a very useful guide
> from the net. Everything works except the keyboard does random strange
> things. It will, for example, keep a CTRL-D in it's buffer after I've
> exited a terminal session and I then can't open another terminal without it
> instantly closing.
>
> If I've hit enter to execute a command it will not only execute the command
> but continue behaving as if I've hit enter 50 times.
>
> Does anyone perhaps have a tip about how I might deal with this? I'm only a
> beginner with OpenBSD so it's highly likely I'm missing something obvious
> and my Google-fu is letting me down.

Did you disable the console getty after enabling gdm ?

If not X and getty are fighting for keyboard input and this produces
the kind of behaviours you describe.

Esit /etc/ttys and set the console getty process to "off", then reboot
or pkill -1 init.
--
Matthieu Herrb

ryv

Re: Unusual keyboard behaviour

ryv
This change worked and all is good in the OpenBSD Sparc64 world for me now.

Thanks to Matthieu!

Angus