Unicode implementation in console?

Hou Ruoyu
Hi all,

I am wondering if I could make the console display CJK character sets.
 From what I've searched, wscons doesn't support Unicode at least in NetBSD,
though I wonder if it is a similar case in OpenBSD.

The documents I process involve major eastern Asian characters, some of which
appear in one document. I know I could handle it well enough with proper locale
setting, fonts, and X. But I frankly don't like X and prefer non-X applications,
as most of my work done in CLI or TUI, exactly, emacs-nox11. I guess this could
not be circumvented by simple setting Lang, LC_CTYPE or alike.

Some one patched wscons to uwscons workaround in NetBSD to provide some wide
character functions (unfortunately the link to which was obsolete). I am
wondering if I could patch wscons to meet my own need in terms of i,e, proper
displaying CJK filenames in various file systems (MSDOS,FFS,NTFS, etc.). I would
appreciate any hints.

Hou, Ruoyu

Laboratory of Reproductive & Stem Cell Biology,
College of Life Science & Biotech.,
Shanghai Jiao Tong University,
Shanghai 200240, P.R.China.

Re: Unicode implementation in console?

Janjaap van Velthooven
On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 01:57:44PM +0800, Hou, Ruoyu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering if I could make the console display CJK character sets.
>  From what I've searched, wscons doesn't support Unicode at least in NetBSD,
> though I wonder if it is a similar case in OpenBSD.

As the console on most architectures supported by OpenBSD uses the textmode
of the hardware, only the capabilities of texmode ara available.

One of the restrictions of hardware textmode is the number of characters
you can display at one time on the console which is normally limited to 256
(or 512 on some hardware although I doubt OpenBSD supports this)

In short. No you can't.

> The documents I process involve major eastern Asian characters, some of
> which appear in one document. I know I could handle it well enough with
> proper locale setting, fonts, and X. But I frankly don't like X and
> prefer non-X applications, as most of my work done in CLI or TUI, exactly,
> emacs-nox11. I guess this could not be circumvented by simple setting
> Lang, LC_CTYPE or alike.

If you want to use those charater sets you need a bit-map addressable
screen and the apropriate fonts to display those glyphs.

X offers those features.
If you just start an 'xterm -u8' you get your program prompt from where
you can run your CLI/TUI applications just as you would on your
console but with the possibility of more glyphs at the same time.

There is nothing in X that requires you to run bloated graphical
applications or an over the top graphical environment.

> Regards,
> --
> Hou, Ruoyu

These messages were made possible by X, twm, xterm, mutt and vi.
The environment to run these in has been kindly proveded by the
developers of OpenBSD.

        Janjaap van Velthooven
--  ________________________________________
   / __/ /_    / ______/ /_  __/ __/ /___  /
  / /_  __/___/_/_  /___  / / __/ /___  / /          [hidden email]
 /___/_/_________/_____/_/_/_/_______/_/_/

Re: Unicode implementation in console?

Hou Ruoyu
The problem I found with X is however irrelevant with those resource-hogging eye
candies, but X itself. In most occasions I choose not to install X in order to
free up say one or two hundred megabytes, just like some genuine server
administrators whose intentions differ from mine. In real world I must admit
that I still use some applications that can't live without X.

Some problems lie beyond X. For example, when I mount an msdos file system, CJK
characters in file names would all be unrecognizable. This is not a bug, but
obviously a pain in ass. In Linux and recent version of FreeBSD this could be
solve by assigning proper charset to mount command and of course, access in
xterm or alike. However, I didn't find similar solution in OpenBSD's
mount_msdos/ntfs function (please correct me if I'm wrong). This would be a
trouble when I need to do some cross-platform job.

Actually. in old msdos age, we use some CJK platform to display and input those
ideographs. That's why I guess maybe a not-so=complicated patch work would do
the same thing to my own need. A Google search hits zhcon, a CJK-capable virtual
console developed for Linux and then ported to FreeBSD. It is kind of a loadable
CJK platform with built-in input method. I will test if it can be ported to my
OpenBSD machine.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Regards,

--
Hou, Ruoyu

Laboratory of Reproductive & Stem Cell Biology,
College of Life Science & Biotech.,
Shanghai Jiao Tong University,
Shanghai 200240, P.R.China.

Re: Unicode implementation in console?

Abel Abraham Camarillo Ojeda
On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 02:54:31AM +0800, Hou, Ruoyu wrote:

> The problem I found with X is however irrelevant with those
> resource-hogging eye candies, but X itself. In most occasions I choose
> not to install X in order to free up say one or two hundred megabytes,
> just like some genuine server administrators whose intentions differ from
> mine. In real world I must admit that I still use some applications that
> can't live without X.
>
> Some problems lie beyond X. For example, when I mount an msdos file
> system, CJK characters in file names would all be unrecognizable. This is
> not a bug, but obviously a pain in ass. In Linux and recent version of
> FreeBSD this could be solve by assigning proper charset to mount command
> and of course, access in xterm or alike. However, I didn't find similar
> solution in OpenBSD's mount_msdos/ntfs function (please correct me if I'm
> wrong). This would be a trouble when I need to do some cross-platform
> job.

This has been discussed in this list enough times...

see the archives.

--
DISCLAIMER: http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/
This message will self-destruct in 3 seconds.