Unable to install openbsd 5.6 in a HP Proliant ML115 G5

Unable to install openbsd 5.6 in a HP Proliant ML115 G5

C. L. Martinez
Hi all,

 I am trying to install OpenBSD 5.6 in a HP ProlIant Ml115 G5, but
install process doesn't starts ... Stops in USB detection steps. There
is no error in console.

 This server uses Nvidia MCP55 controller device for SATA and USB
devices ... Maybe is this the problem??

 In OpenBSD's manual pages, I see that it is supported for ethernet:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-5.6/man4/nfe.4?query=nvidia&apropos=1&manpath=OpenBSD-5.6

Any idea??

Re: Unable to install openbsd 5.6 in a HP Proliant ML115 G5

C. L. Martinez
On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Jiri B <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 12:49:34PM +0000, C. L. Martinez wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>  I am trying to install OpenBSD 5.6 in a HP ProlIant Ml115 G5, but
>> install process doesn't starts ... Stops in USB detection steps. There
>> is no error in console.
>>
>>  This server uses Nvidia MCP55 controller device for SATA and USB
>> devices ... Maybe is this the problem??
>>
>>  In OpenBSD's manual pages, I see that it is supported for ethernet:
>>
>> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-5.6/man4/nfe.4?query=nvidia&apropos=1&manpath=OpenBSD-5.6
>>
>> Any idea??
>
> It seems it has serial port, capture as much of dmesg
> as you can and attach to mail. Devs usually get angry
> because of missing dmesg...
>
> j.

Sorry, but I haven't got a serial cable. Would it help a photo of the screen?

Re: Unable to install openbsd 5.6 in a HP Proliant ML115 G5

Stuart Henderson
On 2015-01-05, C. L. Martinez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Jiri B <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 12:49:34PM +0000, C. L. Martinez wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>>  I am trying to install OpenBSD 5.6 in a HP ProlIant Ml115 G5, but
>>> install process doesn't starts ... Stops in USB detection steps. There
>>> is no error in console.
>>>
>>>  This server uses Nvidia MCP55 controller device for SATA and USB
>>> devices ... Maybe is this the problem??
>>>
>>>  In OpenBSD's manual pages, I see that it is supported for ethernet:
>>>
>>> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-5.6/man4/nfe.4?query=nvidia&apropos=1&manpath=OpenBSD-5.6
>>>
>>> Any idea??

Some things to try: (Change only 1 thing at a time, and remember what you changed.)

Try a -current snapshot.

Try looking for a bios setting something like '8042 emulation' and toggle
it.

Try making changes to USB related settings and see if that makes any
difference.

>> It seems it has serial port, capture as much of dmesg
>> as you can and attach to mail. Devs usually get angry
>> because of missing dmesg...
>>
>> j.
>
> Sorry, but I haven't got a serial cable. Would it help a photo of the screen?

You could type the last couple of lines displayed before it stops into an email...

Re: Unable to install openbsd 5.6 in a HP Proliant ML115 G5

Steven Shockley
On 1/5/2015 7:52 PM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> Some things to try: (Change only 1 thing at a time, and remember what you changed.)

Also check the baseboard/system firmware; I didn't see anything
specifically related in the release notes but HP occasionally makes
undocumented fixes.

Re: Unable to install openbsd 5.6 in a HP Proliant ML115 G5

C. L. Martinez
On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 3:07 AM, Steve Shockley
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 1/5/2015 7:52 PM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>>
>> Some things to try: (Change only 1 thing at a time, and remember what you
>> changed.)
>

> Also check the baseboard/system firmware; I didn't see anything specifically
> related in the release notes but HP occasionally makes undocumented fixes.

Sorry for this later response. It seems there is some type of problem
with the nvidia controller device. Server was returned to our dealer
to repair. When it will be returned to us, I will try to install
OpenBSD ...

Many thanks for your help.

On 2015-01-06, Steve Shockley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 1/5/2015 7:52 PM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> Some things to try: (Change only 1 thing at a time, and remember what you changed.)
>
> Also check the baseboard/system firmware; I didn't see anything
> specifically related in the release notes but HP occasionally makes
> undocumented fixes.

From what I understand, HP stopped making firmware updates available
without a support contract.

Re: Unable to install openbsd 5.6 in a HP Proliant ML115 G5

Stan Gammons-2
On 01/07/15 20:34, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2015-01-06, Steve Shockley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 1/5/2015 7:52 PM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>>> Some things to try: (Change only 1 thing at a time, and remember what you changed.)
>> Also check the baseboard/system firmware; I didn't see anything
>> specifically related in the release notes but HP occasionally makes
>> undocumented fixes.
>  From what I understand, HP stopped making firmware updates available
> without a support contract.

That was the case when I tried to download a SPP (service pack for
proliant) back late summer of last year.  I'm sure it's no different
now.  Kinda sucks in my opinion.

Stan

On 1/7/2015 10:16 PM, Stan Gammons wrote:
> That was the case when I tried to download a SPP (service pack for
> proliant) back late summer of last year.  I'm sure it's no different
> now.  Kinda sucks in my opinion.

Yes, their entitlement stance is unfortunate.  You can still get most of
it from their FTP site, e.g.
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/cd/p1040529012/v71197/ or
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/cd-generic/p1513074441/v101117/.