Uk wireless usb modems

Tom Jones-2
Hi,
I am wondering whether there are any users based in the UK that are using
usb wireless modems(advertised as Mobile Broadband). I have done some research
into the freely available(with contract at least) usb modems in the UK, but all
the manufacture detail is hidden behind carrier branding.

I have already seen the umsm(4) page, but haven't found any details of support
devices being used in the UK, or available at reasonable price.

Thanks for your Time
jones@
sdf.lonestar.org

Re: Uk wireless usb modems

Stuart Henderson
On 2009-02-06, Tom Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am wondering whether there are any users based in the UK that are using
> usb wireless modems(advertised as Mobile Broadband). I have done some research
> into the freely available(with contract at least) usb modems in the UK, but all
> the manufacture detail is hidden behind carrier branding.
>
> I have already seen the umsm(4) page, but haven't found any details of support
> devices being used in the UK, or available at reasonable price.

most of them should work, either as-is, or with small changes.

3 give information; most are huawei. E220 matches the umsm(4) list.
the umsm list has E619G which seems to be a typo (can anyone confirm
this?) and is probably actually E169G also on 3's list.

t-mobile use option icon225/icon431.

new vodafone are option k3760, older ones huawei.

orange use icon225.

Re: Uk wireless usb modems

pedro la peu-2
On Friday 06 February 2009 13:20:55 Stuart Henderson wrote:

> 3 give information; most are huawei. E220 matches the umsm(4) list.
> the umsm list has E619G which seems to be a typo (can anyone confirm
> this?) and is probably actually E169G also on 3's list.

My 3 umsm is an E160G - which reminds me, it needs adding to umsm(4).

> t-mobile use option icon225/icon431.

Heh, my t-mobile umsm is an E220.

@Tom Jones - ask to see the device when you are in the shop. Many have
the make / model on the underside. You should also read this:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=123217270119277&w=2

Re: Uk wireless usb modems

Tom Jones-2
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, Pedro la Peu wrote:

> @Tom Jones - ask to see the device when you are in the shop. Many have
> the make / model on the underside. You should also read this:

I was thinking about trying that, have you ever seen any on display in stores?
Wouldn't mind plugging them in in-store to see how they are picked up

jones@
sdf.lonestar.org

Re: Uk wireless usb modems

pedro la peu-2
On Friday 06 February 2009 16:03:56 Tom Jones wrote:

> I was thinking about trying that, have you ever seen any on display in
> stores?

Sure, everywhere. But they ship in sealed boxes or blister packs.

> Wouldn't mind plugging them in in-store to see how they are picked up

I was able to find them on display or a member of staff who had one I
could take a look at. I'd say you have little chance of testing one.
Print out umsm(4) and take that with you instead.

Re: Uk wireless usb modems

Sevan / Venture37-2
I'm in the same boat aswell, I was thinking of going down the pay as you
go route rather then getting a contract, any of you using a ipv6 tunnel
on these dongles??
I was hoping on using a AYIYA tunnel from SixXS with these but wondering
if it'd work as the providers usually proxy everything.

Sevan / Venture37