Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Predrag Punosevac-2
Dear All,

I am contemplating buying a new machine which will act as a router/DNS
caching server for my home network. Is anybody currently running OpenBSD
on the Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter LITE in that capacity? I saw that in
June 2015 USB support was added which allows installing to local disk on
machine. Can anybody point me to a work in progress documentation diff
for installing 5.8 octeon port.  I am reading right now

http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.7/octeon/INSTALL.octeon

Best,
Predrag

Re: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Brian Conway
http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/octeon/INSTALL.octeon

Brian Conway

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 11:06 AM, Predrag Punosevac
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am contemplating buying a new machine which will act as a router/DNS
> caching server for my home network. Is anybody currently running OpenBSD
> on the Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter LITE in that capacity? I saw that in
> June 2015 USB support was added which allows installing to local disk on
> machine. Can anybody point me to a work in progress documentation diff
> for installing 5.8 octeon port.  I am reading right now
>
> http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.7/octeon/INSTALL.octeon
>
> Best,
> Predrag

Re: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Ted Unangst-6
Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am contemplating buying a new machine which will act as a router/DNS
> caching server for my home network. Is anybody currently running OpenBSD
> on the Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter LITE in that capacity? I saw that in
> June 2015 USB support was added which allows installing to local disk on
> machine. Can anybody point me to a work in progress documentation diff
> for installing 5.8 octeon port.  I am reading right now

Running it now. I should have some more detailed notes in a few days. (Just
letting the system run for a bit to make sure I like it.)

Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am contemplating buying a new machine which will act as a router/DNS
> caching server for my home network. Is anybody currently running OpenBSD
> on the Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter LITE in that capacity? I saw that in
> June 2015 USB support was added which allows installing to local disk on
> machine. Can anybody point me to a work in progress documentation diff
> for installing 5.8 octeon port.  I am reading right now

Here are my notes, which are basic, but should be enough to get you through if
you're familiar with openbsd.
http://www.tedunangst.com/flak/post/OpenBSD-on-ERL

Re: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Kim Zeitler
> Here are my notes, which are basic, but should be enough to get you through if
> you're familiar with openbsd.
> http://www.tedunangst.com/flak/post/OpenBSD-on-ERL

Hi Ted,

I just worked through the /pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/octeon/INSTALL.octeon
write up and also read through your notes.

Had problems getting the boot loader to work with either bootcmd. It
booted but ignored my rootdev option. I finally managed to get it
booting through using
'fatload usb 0 $loadaddr bsd; bootoctlinux $loadaddr rootdev=/dev/sd0'
Any ideas to this?

Furthermore your notes said it to be a bit weak as a ipsec gw, I
actually was trying to use it as a small VPN box with ipsec with a
10M-50M through-put, can it handle this?

Cheers
Kim

Re: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Jona Joachim
On 2015-08-18, Ted Unangst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Predrag Punosevac wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I am contemplating buying a new machine which will act as a router/DNS
>> caching server for my home network. Is anybody currently running OpenBSD
>> on the Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter LITE in that capacity? I saw that in
>> June 2015 USB support was added which allows installing to local disk on
>> machine. Can anybody point me to a work in progress documentation diff
>> for installing 5.8 octeon port.  I am reading right now
>
> Here are my notes, which are basic, but should be enough to get you through if
> you're familiar with openbsd.
> http://www.tedunangst.com/flak/post/OpenBSD-on-ERL

Thank you very much for the write-up! I'm looking into buying hardware
to build a small OpenBSD home router and this looks interesting.
You say that the machine will not be able to serve as an IPSEC gateway.
Is that when you consider Gigabit ethernet or do you think that even a
10 Mbit connection will require too much computational power to do
IPSEC on this machine?
You also mention the usb driver which is not so reliable. I don't see a
USB port on the machine. Is this an internal bus? I would be interested
to use it with hostapd with a usb wifi nic.

Kindly,
Jona Joachim

Re: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

ludovic coues

> On 2015-08-18, Ted Unangst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Predrag Punosevac wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I am contemplating buying a new machine which will act as a router/DNS
>>> caching server for my home network. Is anybody currently running OpenBSD
>>> on the Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter LITE in that capacity? I saw that in
>>> June 2015 USB support was added which allows installing to local disk on
>>> machine. Can anybody point me to a work in progress documentation diff
>>> for installing 5.8 octeon port.  I am reading right now
>>
>> Here are my notes, which are basic, but should be enough to get you through if
>> you're familiar with openbsd.
>> http://www.tedunangst.com/flak/post/OpenBSD-on-ERL
>
> Thank you very much for the write-up! I'm looking into buying hardware
> to build a small OpenBSD home router and this looks interesting.
> You say that the machine will not be able to serve as an IPSEC gateway.
> Is that when you consider Gigabit ethernet or do you think that even a
> 10 Mbit connection will require too much computational power to do
> IPSEC on this machine?
> You also mention the usb driver which is not so reliable. I don't see a
> USB port on the machine. Is this an internal bus? I would be interested
> to use it with hostapd with a usb wifi nic.
>
> Kindly,
> Jona Joachim

There is an internal usb port. You can access it by opening the case.

--

Cordialement, Coues Ludovic
+336 148 743 42

Re: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Predrag Punosevac-2
"Ted Unangst" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I am contemplating buying a new machine which will act as a router/DNS
> > caching server for my home network. Is anybody currently running OpenBSD
> > on the Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter LITE in that capacity? I saw that in
> > June 2015 USB support was added which allows installing to local disk on
> > machine. Can anybody point me to a work in progress documentation diff
> > for installing 5.8 octeon port.  I am reading right now
>
> Here are my notes, which are basic, but should be enough to get you through if
> you're familiar with openbsd.
> http://www.tedunangst.com/flak/post/OpenBSD-on-ERL

Hi Ted,

I read your blog this morning. Great post as usual. I also got two
e-mails of the list from a guy who apparently pushed ERL very hard.  His
e-mails were full of useful info. I feel bad that he didn't want to post
the mailing list. I think I have all the info to get my feet wet now.

Best,
Predrag

Re: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Tobias Ulmer
On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 01:59:49PM +0000, Jona Joachim wrote:

> On 2015-08-18, Ted Unangst <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> >> Dear All,
> >>
> >> I am contemplating buying a new machine which will act as a router/DNS
> >> caching server for my home network. Is anybody currently running OpenBSD
> >> on the Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter LITE in that capacity? I saw that in
> >> June 2015 USB support was added which allows installing to local disk on
> >> machine. Can anybody point me to a work in progress documentation diff
> >> for installing 5.8 octeon port.  I am reading right now
> >
> > Here are my notes, which are basic, but should be enough to get you through if
> > you're familiar with openbsd.
> > http://www.tedunangst.com/flak/post/OpenBSD-on-ERL
>
> Thank you very much for the write-up! I'm looking into buying hardware
> to build a small OpenBSD home router and this looks interesting.
> You say that the machine will not be able to serve as an IPSEC gateway.
> Is that when you consider Gigabit ethernet or do you think that even a
> 10 Mbit connection will require too much computational power to do
> IPSEC on this machine?
> You also mention the usb driver which is not so reliable. I don't see a
> USB port on the machine. Is this an internal bus? I would be interested
> to use it with hostapd with a usb wifi nic.

There is only one internal port, and you need that for storage. The
internal flash is not supported and it's not all that much anyway.

I've not tested it, but have my doubts uboot will boot from a usb
storage device with a hub in between.

> Kindly,
> Jona Joachim

Re: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Joe S-3
On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Ted Unangst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I am contemplating buying a new machine which will act as a router/DNS
> > caching server for my home network. Is anybody currently running OpenBSD
> > on the Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter LITE in that capacity? I saw that in
> > June 2015 USB support was added which allows installing to local disk on
> > machine. Can anybody point me to a work in progress documentation diff
> > for installing 5.8 octeon port.  I am reading right now
>
> Running it now. I should have some more detailed notes in a few days. (Just
> letting the system run for a bit to make sure I like it.)

Thanks for the notes in your blog post. Did you get a chance to measure how
much power this device consumes when idle?

Jona Joachim wrote:
> Thank you very much for the write-up! I'm looking into buying hardware
> to build a small OpenBSD home router and this looks interesting.
> You say that the machine will not be able to serve as an IPSEC gateway.
> Is that when you consider Gigabit ethernet or do you think that even a
> 10 Mbit connection will require too much computational power to do
> IPSEC on this machine?

For comparison, md5 -t:
Time   = 2.198556 seconds
Speed  = 45484399.760570 bytes/second

I don't use IPsec, and I notice that Ubiquiti don't mention it as a selling
point for the device. I would probably not use the edgerouter for anything too
far outside what the adverising materials say (just running openbsd instead).

> You also mention the usb driver which is not so reliable. I don't see a
> USB port on the machine. Is this an internal bus? I would be interested
> to use it with hostapd with a usb wifi nic.

The flash storage inside is attached via USB.

As for power, it's a 12W supply. I'll have to hook it up to a meter and
measure. Update on that later.

I would say it's an interesting alternative if you're specifically looking for
a non-PC router. I'm not sure it's the best router platform in general.

Re: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Theo de Raadt
> I would say it's an interesting alternative if you're specifically looking for
> a non-PC router. I'm not sure it's the best router platform in general.

mips64:

- mmu lacks support for W^X
- pmap module only supports 32-bit mappings, so weaker ASLR

Re: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Bryan Irvine
On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 5:11 AM, Ted Unangst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I am contemplating buying a new machine which will act as a router/DNS
> > caching server for my home network. Is anybody currently running OpenBSD
> > on the Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter LITE in that capacity? I saw that in
> > June 2015 USB support was added which allows installing to local disk on
> > machine. Can anybody point me to a work in progress documentation diff
> > for installing 5.8 octeon port.  I am reading right now
>
> Here are my notes, which are basic, but should be enough to get you
> through if
> you're familiar with openbsd.
> http://www.tedunangst.com/flak/post/OpenBSD-on-ERL

What kind of network throughput do see? I had to replace my ancient soekris
when I upgraded over 10Mb/s awhile ago. This sounds like a promising
replacement without having to spend $400-$500.

-B

Re: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

dominik.db
On 2015-08-18 11:42, Tobias Ulmer wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 01:59:49PM +0000, Jona Joachim wrote:

>> > Here are my notes, which are basic, but should be enough to get you through if
>> > you're familiar with openbsd.
>> > http://www.tedunangst.com/flak/post/OpenBSD-on-ERL
>>
>> Thank you very much for the write-up! I'm looking into buying hardware
>> to build a small OpenBSD home router and this looks interesting.
>> You say that the machine will not be able to serve as an IPSEC
>> gateway.
>> Is that when you consider Gigabit ethernet or do you think that even a
>> 10 Mbit connection will require too much computational power to do
>> IPSEC on this machine?
>> You also mention the usb driver which is not so reliable. I don't see
>> USB port on the machine. Is this an internal bus? I would be
>> interested
>> to use it with hostapd with a usb wifi nic.
>
> There is only one internal port, and you need that for storage. The
> internal flash is not supported and it's not all that much anyway.
>
> I've not tested it, but have my doubts uboot will boot from a usb
> storage device with a hub in between.
>

>> Kindly,
>> Jona Joachim

You can upgrade the internal usb storage capacity. Not all usb keys
seems to work though. A couple functioning models can be found at the
Gentoo MIPS/ERLite-3 page (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MIPS/ERLite-3).

I bought a 16 GB one to use in my ERL with OpenBSD but I haven't tested
it since I can't connect to the router's serial port. Seems it could be
caused by my cheap usb-to-serial cable with an CH340/341 which returns
me only garbage. I can type commands and see that they have an effect
but all text is garbage.

Do you guys have any idea? Or do I just need to buy a better
usb-to-serial converter with an FTDI processor like this one:
http://www.usconverters.com/usb-serial-adapter-xs882

Thanks for the help.

Dom

On 2015-08-18, Ted Unangst <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't use IPsec, and I notice that Ubiquiti don't mention it as a selling
> point for the device. I would probably not use the edgerouter for anything too
> far outside what the adverising materials say (just running openbsd instead).

The advertising materials quote things like 1Mpps, you aren't going to
see anything like that with OpenBSD. They are based around running EdgeOS
which uses hw acceleration, afaik this is difficult without Cavium's SDK.

Much as I like the idea of non-x86 for this, if I wanted a small router
running OpenBSD rather than a platform to hack on I'd first look at the
APU. (I don't have one myself but upgraded the OS on one at a customer's
recently, it doesn't seem to run as warm as it used to, possibly due to
the changes to the mwait-based idle loop which is in 5.8/-current).

Re: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Stuart Henderson
On 2015-08-20, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2015-08-18, Ted Unangst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I don't use IPsec, and I notice that Ubiquiti don't mention it as a selling
>> point for the device. I would probably not use the edgerouter for anything too
>> far outside what the adverising materials say (just running openbsd instead).
>
> The advertising materials quote things like 1Mpps, you aren't going to
> see anything like that with OpenBSD. They are based around running EdgeOS
> which uses hw acceleration, afaik this is difficult without Cavium's SDK.
>
> Much as I like the idea of non-x86 for this, if I wanted a small router
> running OpenBSD rather than a platform to hack on I'd first look at the
> APU. (I don't have one myself but upgraded the OS on one at a customer's
> recently, it doesn't seem to run as warm as it used to, possibly due to
> the changes to the mwait-based idle loop which is in 5.8/-current).

BTW since Ted posted md5 times, here's some from the APU to compare:

$ md5 -t
MD5 time trial.  Processing 10000 10000-byte blocks...
Digest = 52e5f9c9e6f656f3e1800dfa5579d089
Time   = 0.615835 seconds
Speed  = 162381157.290508 bytes/second

And cpu temp, this is sitting on top of a fanless switch under a desk -
fwiw, it's doing pppoe/pf for a VDSL line, 1500 mtu on the pppoe interface
with baby jumbos on the re(4), with some ipsec+l2tp, not especially busy.

$ sysctl hw.sensors
hw.sensors.km0.temp0=51.00 degC

OpenBSD 5.8 (GENERIC.MP) #1235: Mon Aug 10 06:54:34 MDT 2015
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
real mem = 2098511872 (2001MB)
avail mem = 2031079424 (1936MB)
mpath0 at root
scsibus0 at mpath0: 256 targets
mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.7 @ 0x7e16d820 (6 entries)
bios0: vendor coreboot version "SageBios_PCEngines_APU-45" date 04/05/2014
bios0: PC Engines APU
acpi0 at bios0: rev 0
acpi0: sleep states S0 S1 S3 S4 S5
acpi0: tables DSDT FACP SPCR HPET APIC HEST SSDT SSDT SSDT
acpi0: wakeup devices AGPB(S4) HDMI(S4) PBR4(S4) PBR5(S4) PBR6(S4) PBR7(S4) PE20(S4) PE21(S4) PE22(S4) PE23(S4) PIBR(S4) UOH1(S3) UOH2(S3) UOH3(S3) UOH4(S3) UOH5(S3) [...]
acpitimer0 at acpi0: 3579545 Hz, 32 bits
acpihpet0 at acpi0: 14318180 Hz
acpimadt0 at acpi0 addr 0xfee00000: PC-AT compat
cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
cpu0: AMD G-T40E Processor, 1000.12 MHz
cpu0: FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT,SSE3,MWAIT,SSSE3,CX16,POPCNT,NXE,MMXX,FFXSR,PAGE1GB,LONG,LAHF,CMPLEG,SVM,EAPICSP,AMCR8,ABM,SSE4A,MASSE,3DNOWP,IBS,SKINIT,ITSC
cpu0: 32KB 64b/line 2-way I-cache, 32KB 64b/line 8-way D-cache, 512KB 64b/line 16-way L2 cache
cpu0: 8 4MB entries fully associative
cpu0: DTLB 40 4KB entries fully associative, 8 4MB entries fully associative
cpu0: smt 0, core 0, package 0
mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support, 8 var ranges, 88 fixed ranges
cpu0: apic clock running at 199MHz
cpu0: mwait min=64, max=64, IBE
cpu1 at mainbus0: apid 1 (application processor)
cpu1: AMD G-T40E Processor, 1000.00 MHz
cpu1: FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT,SSE3,MWAIT,SSSE3,CX16,POPCNT,NXE,MMXX,FFXSR,PAGE1GB,LONG,LAHF,CMPLEG,SVM,EAPICSP,AMCR8,ABM,SSE4A,MASSE,3DNOWP,IBS,SKINIT,ITSC
cpu1: 32KB 64b/line 2-way I-cache, 32KB 64b/line 8-way D-cache, 512KB 64b/line 16-way L2 cache
cpu1: 8 4MB entries fully associative
cpu1: DTLB 40 4KB entries fully associative, 8 4MB entries fully associative
cpu1: smt 0, core 1, package 0
ioapic0 at mainbus0: apid 2 pa 0xfec00000, version 21, 24 pins
acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus -1 (AGPB)
acpiprt1 at acpi0: bus -1 (HDMI)
acpiprt2 at acpi0: bus 1 (PBR4)
acpiprt3 at acpi0: bus 2 (PBR5)
acpiprt4 at acpi0: bus 3 (PBR6)
acpiprt5 at acpi0: bus -1 (PBR7)
acpiprt6 at acpi0: bus 5 (PE20)
acpiprt7 at acpi0: bus -1 (PE21)
acpiprt8 at acpi0: bus -1 (PE22)
acpiprt9 at acpi0: bus -1 (PE23)
acpiprt10 at acpi0: bus 0 (PCI0)
acpiprt11 at acpi0: bus 4 (PIBR)
acpicpu0 at acpi0: !C2(0@100 io@0x841), C1(@1 halt!), PSS
acpicpu1 at acpi0: !C2(0@100 io@0x841), C1(@1 halt!), PSS
acpibtn0 at acpi0: PWRB
cpu0: 1000 MHz: speeds: 1000 800 MHz
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "AMD AMD64 14h Host" rev 0x00
ppb0 at pci0 dev 4 function 0 "AMD AMD64 14h PCIE" rev 0x00: msi
pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
re0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "Realtek 8168" rev 0x06: RTL8168E/8111E (0x2c00), msi, address 00:0d:b9:32:ff:b4
rgephy0 at re0 phy 7: RTL8169S/8110S/8211 PHY, rev. 4
ppb1 at pci0 dev 5 function 0 "AMD AMD64 14h PCIE" rev 0x00: msi
pci2 at ppb1 bus 2
re1 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 "Realtek 8168" rev 0x06: RTL8168E/8111E (0x2c00), msi, address 00:0d:b9:32:ff:b5
rgephy1 at re1 phy 7: RTL8169S/8110S/8211 PHY, rev. 4
ppb2 at pci0 dev 6 function 0 "AMD AMD64 14h PCIE" rev 0x00: msi
pci3 at ppb2 bus 3
re2 at pci3 dev 0 function 0 "Realtek 8168" rev 0x06: RTL8168E/8111E (0x2c00), msi, address 00:0d:b9:32:ff:b6
rgephy2 at re2 phy 7: RTL8169S/8110S/8211 PHY, rev. 4
ahci0 at pci0 dev 17 function 0 "ATI SBx00 SATA" rev 0x40: apic 2 int 19, AHCI 1.2
scsibus1 at ahci0: 32 targets
ohci0 at pci0 dev 18 function 0 "ATI SB700 USB" rev 0x00: apic 2 int 18, version 1.0, legacy support
ehci0 at pci0 dev 18 function 2 "ATI SB700 USB2" rev 0x00: apic 2 int 17
usb0 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
uhub0 at usb0 "ATI EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
ohci1 at pci0 dev 19 function 0 "ATI SB700 USB" rev 0x00: apic 2 int 18, version 1.0, legacy support
ehci1 at pci0 dev 19 function 2 "ATI SB700 USB2" rev 0x00: apic 2 int 17
usb1 at ehci1: USB revision 2.0
uhub1 at usb1 "ATI EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
piixpm0 at pci0 dev 20 function 0 "ATI SBx00 SMBus" rev 0x42: polling
iic0 at piixpm0
pcib0 at pci0 dev 20 function 3 "ATI SB700 ISA" rev 0x40
ppb3 at pci0 dev 20 function 4 "ATI SB600 PCI" rev 0x40
pci4 at ppb3 bus 4
ohci2 at pci0 dev 20 function 5 "ATI SB700 USB" rev 0x00: apic 2 int 18, version 1.0, legacy support
ppb4 at pci0 dev 21 function 0 "ATI SB800 PCIE" rev 0x00
pci5 at ppb4 bus 5
ohci3 at pci0 dev 22 function 0 "ATI SB700 USB" rev 0x00: apic 2 int 18, version 1.0, legacy support
ehci2 at pci0 dev 22 function 2 "ATI SB700 USB2" rev 0x00: apic 2 int 17
usb2 at ehci2: USB revision 2.0
uhub2 at usb2 "ATI EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
pchb1 at pci0 dev 24 function 0 "AMD AMD64 14h Link Cfg" rev 0x43
pchb2 at pci0 dev 24 function 1 "AMD AMD64 14h Address Map" rev 0x00
pchb3 at pci0 dev 24 function 2 "AMD AMD64 14h DRAM Cfg" rev 0x00
km0 at pci0 dev 24 function 3 "AMD AMD64 14h Misc Cfg" rev 0x00
pchb4 at pci0 dev 24 function 4 "AMD AMD64 14h CPU Power" rev 0x00
pchb5 at pci0 dev 24 function 5 "AMD AMD64 14h Reserved" rev 0x00
pchb6 at pci0 dev 24 function 6 "AMD AMD64 14h NB Power" rev 0x00
pchb7 at pci0 dev 24 function 7 "AMD AMD64 14h Reserved" rev 0x00
usb3 at ohci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub3 at usb3 "ATI OHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
usb4 at ohci1: USB revision 1.0
uhub4 at usb4 "ATI OHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
isa0 at pcib0
isadma0 at isa0
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
com0: console
com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8/8 irq 3: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
spkr0 at pcppi0
lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378/4 irq 7
wbsio0 at isa0 port 0x2e/2: NCT5104D rev 0x52
usb5 at ohci2: USB revision 1.0
uhub5 at usb5 "ATI OHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
usb6 at ohci3: USB revision 1.0
uhub6 at usb6 "ATI OHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
umass0 at uhub2 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Generic Flash Card Reader/Writer" rev 2.01/1.00 addr 2
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus2 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0
sd0 at scsibus2 targ 1 lun 0: <Multiple, Card Reader, 1.00> SCSI2 0/direct removable serial.058f6366058F63666485
sd0: 3724MB, 512 bytes/sector, 7626752 sectors
vscsi0 at root
scsibus3 at vscsi0: 256 targets
softraid0 at root
scsibus4 at softraid0: 256 targets
root on sd0a (4735831f294729c0.a) swap on sd0b dump on sd0b

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 10:33:37PM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 2015-08-18 11:42, Tobias Ulmer wrote:

> >>Thank you very much for the write-up! I'm looking into buying hardware
> >>to build a small OpenBSD home router and this looks interesting.
> >>You say that the machine will not be able to serve as an IPSEC gateway.
> >>Is that when you consider Gigabit ethernet or do you think that even a
> >>10 Mbit connection will require too much computational power to do
> >>IPSEC on this machine?
> >>You also mention the usb driver which is not so reliable. I don't see a
> >>USB port on the machine. Is this an internal bus? I would be interested
> >>to use it with hostapd with a usb wifi nic.
> >
> >There is only one internal port, and you need that for storage. The
> >internal flash is not supported and it's not all that much anyway.
> >
> >I've not tested it, but have my doubts uboot will boot from a usb
> >storage device with a hub in between.
> >

> >>Kindly,
> >>Jona Joachim
>
> You can upgrade the internal usb storage capacity. Not all usb keys seems to
> work though. A couple functioning models can be found at the Gentoo
> MIPS/ERLite-3 page (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MIPS/ERLite-3).

That's because the usb timeout in uboot is pretty short. I'm using an
external sata disk (1TB), works fine when you power sequence them right.
Of course when the device draws its power from the internal bus, it
needs to initialize quickly in order to respond to uboot probing in
time.

> I bought a 16 GB one to use in my ERL with OpenBSD but I haven't tested it
> since I can't connect to the router's serial port. Seems it could be caused
> by my cheap usb-to-serial cable with an CH340/341 which returns me only
> garbage. I can type commands and see that they have an effect but all text
> is garbage.

Are you sure you're using the right baudrate? I've had no trouble with a
self-made cable and ftdi/pl2302 converters. The ERL doesn't seem
particularly sensitive. You might indeed have an adapter from the famous
One Hung Lo factory...
Do you not have some old box with a real serial port to test your
theory?

> Do you guys have any idea? Or do I just need to buy a better usb-to-serial
> converter with an FTDI processor like this one:
> http://www.usconverters.com/usb-serial-adapter-xs882
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Dom

Re: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Chris Cappuccio
Stuart Henderson [[hidden email]] wrote:
> On 2015-08-18, Ted Unangst <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I don't use IPsec, and I notice that Ubiquiti don't mention it as a selling
> > point for the device. I would probably not use the edgerouter for anything too
> > far outside what the adverising materials say (just running openbsd instead).
>
> The advertising materials quote things like 1Mpps, you aren't going to
> see anything like that with OpenBSD. They are based around running EdgeOS
> which uses hw acceleration, afaik this is difficult without Cavium's SDK.

They also get 700kpps with IPv6 forwarding (which is not hardware accelerated
on that platform). The Cavium SDK fits in a bunch of memory and cache
optimizations for the platform, there are some Cavium lessons to be learned.
Also the general network stack improvement in the routing table and the
MP work may be critical here!

> Much as I like the idea of non-x86 for this, if I wanted a small router
> running OpenBSD rather than a platform to hack on I'd first look at the
> APU. (I don't have one myself but upgraded the OS on one at a customer's
> recently, it doesn't seem to run as warm as it used to, possibly due to
> the changes to the mwait-based idle loop which is in 5.8/-current).

The APU is pretty nice for the price and the power consumption, like the
ERL but faster with OpenBSD today. (The md5 -t test is 3.5x faster, for
instance, 163195232 bytes/second.)

Re: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 01:08:10PM -0400, Ted Unangst wrote:

> Jona Joachim wrote:
> > Thank you very much for the write-up! I'm looking into buying hardware
> > to build a small OpenBSD home router and this looks interesting.
> > You say that the machine will not be able to serve as an IPSEC gateway.
> > Is that when you consider Gigabit ethernet or do you think that even a
> > 10 Mbit connection will require too much computational power to do
> > IPSEC on this machine?
>
> For comparison, md5 -t:
> Time   = 2.198556 seconds
> Speed  = 45484399.760570 bytes/second
>
> I don't use IPsec, and I notice that Ubiquiti don't mention it as a selling
> point for the device. I would probably not use the edgerouter for anything too
> far outside what the adverising materials say (just running openbsd instead).
>
> > You also mention the usb driver which is not so reliable. I don't see a
> > USB port on the machine. Is this an internal bus? I would be interested
> > to use it with hostapd with a usb wifi nic.
>
> The flash storage inside is attached via USB.
>
> As for power, it's a 12W supply. I'll have to hook it up to a meter and
> measure. Update on that later.
>
> I would say it's an interesting alternative if you're specifically looking for
> a non-PC router. I'm not sure it's the best router platform in general.

Slightly off-topic:

Ubiquiti released recently a new router named EdgeRouter X. 49 USD, 5
gigabit ports, 5W, dual-core 800Mhz, 256MB.

It's a MIPS32, so if some developer is looking for a new platform for
OpenBSD... :P . The processor is licensed from Imagination, which I
guess that is more open than Cavium. I have not found a dmesg yet.

http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/edgemax/EdgeRouter_X_DS.pdf

http://www.embeddeddeveloper.com/cores/documents/MIPS32_1004K_rev1.pdf

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Re: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Michael McConville-2
Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado wrote:

> Slightly off-topic:
>
> Ubiquiti released recently a new router named EdgeRouter X. 49 USD, 5
> gigabit ports, 5W, dual-core 800Mhz, 256MB.
>
> It's a MIPS32, so if some developer is looking for a new platform for
> OpenBSD... :P . The processor is licensed from Imagination, which I
> guess that is more open than Cavium. I have not found a dmesg yet.
>
> http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/edgemax/EdgeRouter_X_DS.pdf
>
> http://www.embeddeddeveloper.com/cores/documents/MIPS32_1004K_rev1.pdf

This spring, I asked a few OpenBSD MIPS devs about the project's
interest in a MIPS32 port for the Creator CI20. It turns out that MIPS32
support was quietly removed last year:

> ----------------------------
> revision 1.20
> date: 2014/03/11 07:50:49;  author: jasper;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -15;
> remove #if(n)def __LP64__ from the mips64 codebase, as mips32 never really went anywhere.
>
> ok miod@
> ----------------------------

I was pretty forcibly told that there was no interest, which is
understandable. Without TLB magic or the below-mentioned EVA, a MIPS32
chip can only directly map 512 MB of memory, which is becoming
unacceptable for everything but embedded devices. For more details,
check out its wacky memory model:

        http://www.johnloomis.org/microchip/pic32/memory/memory.html

ImgTec, the new owners of the ISA, added a workaround called Enhanced
Virtual Addressing (EVA) in MIPS32 revision 3.5 (MIPS32r3.5). It
increases the directly mapped memory limit to 3.5 GB. I don't know
whether any OSs actually support it, though, and I remember hearing that
it's not elegant (but that's just a vague memory).

My description of the memory limit issue may have been misleading. If
anyone notices mistakes, please correct me.  :)

So, if you want BSD on MIPS32, NetBSD is your best (only?) bet.

12