USB to 3.5mm jack audio adapter

Paul de Weerd
Hi all,

As I don't have a microphone to use with my azalia(4) sound card, and
my webcam only has audio input (no output), I can't use my current
hardware in firefox to do videoconferencing.  So I purchased (what I
thought was) a USB to audio adapter[1].  This one simply offers a
3.5mm jack connector that I would then plug my existing headphones
into for full duplex audio.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be an actual uaudio(4) device:

uhidev0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Samsung Electronics Samsung Type-C to 3.5pi gender adapter" rev 2.01/1.33 addr 2
uhidev0: iclass 3/0, 2 report ids
uhid0 at uhidev0 reportid 1: input=0, output=63, feature=0
uhid1 at uhidev0 reportid 2: input=63, output=0, feature=0

Are there uaudio(4) devices that do provide full duplex (TRRS i.e. mic
plus speakers) behind a 3.5mm jack?  Anyone have experience with one
of these they can recommend?  I mean, I have a USB audio device that
has a 3.5mm jack, but that's output only (TRS, so no microphone).

Thanks,

Paul

[1]: https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/usb-c-headphone-jack-adapter-ee-uc10juwegus/

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/

Re: USB to 3.5mm jack audio adapter

Alexandre Ratchov-2
On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 03:49:21PM +0200, Paul de Weerd wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As I don't have a microphone to use with my azalia(4) sound card, and
> my webcam only has audio input (no output), I can't use my current
> hardware in firefox to do videoconferencing.  So I purchased (what I
> thought was) a USB to audio adapter[1].  This one simply offers a
> 3.5mm jack connector that I would then plug my existing headphones
> into for full duplex audio.
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be an actual uaudio(4) device:
>
> uhidev0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Samsung Electronics Samsung Type-C to 3.5pi gender adapter" rev 2.01/1.33 addr 2
> uhidev0: iclass 3/0, 2 report ids
> uhid0 at uhidev0 reportid 1: input=0, output=63, feature=0
> uhid1 at uhidev0 reportid 2: input=63, output=0, feature=0
>
> Are there uaudio(4) devices that do provide full duplex (TRRS i.e. mic
> plus speakers) behind a 3.5mm jack?  Anyone have experience with one
> of these they can recommend?  I mean, I have a USB audio device that
> has a 3.5mm jack, but that's output only (TRS, so no microphone).

Hi,

Try searching for "TRRS to USB adapter" then check in the detailed
description that:
  - it's an "external sound card" for computers (Windows/macOS supported)
  - it requires no device driver (means it's USB class-compliant)
  - supports 3.5mm "TRRS" headset jacks (what most phones use)

Re: USB to 3.5mm jack audio adapter

Stuart Longland
On 9/9/20 11:49 pm, Paul de Weerd wrote:
> I mean, I have a USB audio device that
> has a 3.5mm jack, but that's output only (TRS, so no microphone).

Does that adaptor also have a separate microphone input?

You can buy adaptors that split the microphone and earpiece contacts out
to separate 3.5mm jacks which would allow you to then connect your
single 4-pole jack headset to a conventional USB audio dongle.

Some gaming headsets are supplied with such an adaptor.  e.g. one Asus
gaming headset I have is natively 4-pole 3.5mm for plugging into Apple
devices, and a 4-pole 3.5mm to 2×3-pole 3.5mm adaptor cable for
conventional sound cards.

You can also buy the connectors and make such an adaptor yourself if
you're handy with a soldering iron and want to avoid Russian Roulette
with adaptors of questionable quality/utility or a long wait.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 09:36:01PM +0200, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:
| Try searching for "TRRS to USB adapter" then check in the detailed
| description that:
|   - it's an "external sound card" for computers (Windows/macOS supported)
|   - it requires no device driver (means it's USB class-compliant)
|   - supports 3.5mm "TRRS" headset jacks (what most phones use)

Thanks Alexandre, I did that and found one that looks like the thing
you are talking about.  Will give it a shot ;)

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 09:47:43AM +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:
| On 9/9/20 11:49 pm, Paul de Weerd wrote:
| > I mean, I have a USB audio device that
| > has a 3.5mm jack, but that's output only (TRS, so no microphone).
|
| Does that adaptor also have a separate microphone input?
|
| You can buy adaptors that split the microphone and earpiece contacts out
| to separate 3.5mm jacks which would allow you to then connect your
| single 4-pole jack headset to a conventional USB audio dongle.

And thank you, Stuart; my uaudio(4) indeed has a separate mic-in.
I'll see if I can find one of these adapters too.

Cheers,

Paul

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/