USB sniffer?

Girish Venkatachalam-3
Hi,

        My googling for a free USB sniffer failed. What are the difficulties? Is it possible to hack one soon? Is there any reason why no one has come up with one?

        I need this to reverse engineer webcams for writing OpenBSD drivers for the same.

        Please help me out and don't scold me if this question needed to be in misc@

regards,
Girish
--
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I am wrong.

    - Oscar Wilde

Re: USB sniffer?

Stuart Henderson
On 2006/09/13 15:28, Girish Venkatachalam wrote:
> My googling for a free USB sniffer failed.

Google for "usb snoopy" instead.

Re: USB sniffer?

Tobias Weingartner-2
On Wednesday, September 13, Girish Venkatachalam wrote:

> My googling for a free USB sniffer failed. What are the
> difficulties? I s it possible to hack one soon? Is there any reason
> why no one has come up wi th one?
>
> I need this to reverse engineer webcams for writing OpenBSD
> drivers for the same.

Well, you can pay money, or make do.  Search google for 'usb protocol
analyzer' or somesuch terms will show you a bunch of hardware devices
that will cost you various amounts of money.

On the software side, there are various tools out there to help you
sniff in on the usb calls being made.  Various degrees of success with
these are possible.

--Toby.

Re: USB sniffer?

Kevin Lo
Girish Venkatachalam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My googling for a free USB sniffer failed. What are the difficulties? Is it possible to hack one soon? Is there any reason why no one has come up with one?
>
> I need this to reverse engineer webcams for writing OpenBSD drivers for the same.
>
> Please help me out and don't scold me if this question needed to be in misc@

I prefer usbsnoop:
http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/usbsnoop/

> regards,