USB serial port adaptor

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

USB serial port adaptor

Mark Zimmerman
Greetings:

I need to buy a USB serial port adapter and there is no specific mention
of these in the supported hardware list. Archive search indicates that
they all suck, but the Prolific chipset sucks less. Anyone care to offer
a recommendation?

Thanks
-- Mark

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: USB serial port adaptor

Bryan Brake
I have a PL-2303 USB-to-Serial Port Adapter from Prolific...


You can download the drivers for windows, and OpenBSD connects as
/dev/cuaU0 normally.  Works great on connecting my laptop to my ALIX
board at home.

cu -s 38400 -l /dev/cuaU0

Of course, you can't get output from my laptop, because of the USB
nature...   but it works great with the proper connectors...

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 10:07, Mark Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I need to buy a USB serial port adapter and there is no specific mention
> of these in the supported hardware list. Archive search indicates that
> they all suck, but the Prolific chipset sucks less. Anyone care to offer
> a recommendation?
>
> Thanks
> -- Mark

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: USB serial port adaptor - umct(4) works fine

Christopher Zimmermann
In reply to this post by Mark Zimmerman
On 12/10/11 17:07, Mark Zimmerman wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I need to buy a USB serial port adapter and there is no specific mention
> of these in the supported hardware list. Archive search indicates that
> they all suck, but the Prolific chipset sucks less. Anyone care to offer
> a recommendation?


For me the umct(4) adapter works fine.
It is part of the "Targus USB2.0 Port Replicator with Ethernet"
Every component of it works fine. USB hub, PS/2 keybord and mouse,
serial, parallel and 100MBit ethernet.


uhub2 at uhub0 port 3 "Philips Semiconductors product 0x1521" rev
2.00/2.00 addr 5
umct0 at uhub2 port 1 "Targus Group Intl Targus Group Intl" rev
1.10/1.03 addr 6
ucom0 at umct0
uhidev2 at uhub2 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0 "MCT USB PS/2
Keyboard - PS/2 Mouse" rev 1.01/0.01 addr 7
uhidev2: iclass 3/1
ukbd1 at uhidev2: 8 modifier keys, 6 key codes
wskbd2 at ukbd1 mux 1
wskbd2: connecting to wsdisplay0
uhidev3 at uhub2 port 2 configuration 1 interface 1 "MCT USB PS/2
Keyboard - PS/2 Mouse" rev 1.01/0.01 addr 7
uhidev3: iclass 3/1, 3 report ids
ums1 at uhidev3 reportid 1: 3 buttons, Z dir
wsmouse3 at ums1 mux 0
uhid0 at uhidev3 reportid 2: input=1, output=0, feature=0
uhid1 at uhidev3 reportid 3: input=1, output=0, feature=0
aue0 at uhub2 port 5 "ADMtek USB To LAN Converter" rev 2.00/1.01 addr 8
aue0: address 00:05:1b:e5:9a:02
ukphy0 at aue0 phy 1: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface, rev. 1: OUI
0x000749, model 0x0001
ulpt0 at uhub2 port 6 configuration 1 interface 0 "Lucent USS-720
evaluation kit" rev 1.00/1.04 addr 9
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: USB serial port adaptor

Stuart Henderson
In reply to this post by Mark Zimmerman
I had no problems with ubsa or single port uplcom, they also work for sending
BREAK (this is not the case with all USB RS-232 adapters).

There are some dual and quad port uplcom devices, the ones I tried don't
work too well.


On 2011-12-10, Mark Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I need to buy a USB serial port adapter and there is no specific mention
> of these in the supported hardware list. Archive search indicates that
> they all suck, but the Prolific chipset sucks less. Anyone care to offer
> a recommendation?
>
> Thanks
> -- Mark

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: USB serial port adaptor

Mark Zimmerman
In reply to this post by Bryan Brake
Thanks; That's exactly what I need it for.

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 01:07:34PM -0600, Bryan wrote:

> I have a PL-2303 USB-to-Serial Port Adapter from Prolific...
>
>
> You can download the drivers for windows, and OpenBSD connects as
> /dev/cuaU0 normally.  Works great on connecting my laptop to my ALIX
> board at home.
>
> cu -s 38400 -l /dev/cuaU0
>
> Of course, you can't get output from my laptop, because of the USB
> nature...   but it works great with the proper connectors...
>
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 10:07, Mark Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Greetings:
> >
> > I need to buy a USB serial port adapter and there is no specific mention
> > of these in the supported hardware list. Archive search indicates that
> > they all suck, but the Prolific chipset sucks less. Anyone care to offer
> > a recommendation?
> >
> > Thanks
> > -- Mark

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: USB serial port adaptor

Paulo Manoel Mafra
In reply to this post by Mark Zimmerman
Hi, I've a bunch of LeaderShip 8430 which has a Prolific PL-2303 chip and
use the uplcom driver (besides it is not listed in the uplcom man pages
it works fine).


On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 08:39:20PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
* I had no problems with ubsa or single port uplcom, they also work for sending
* BREAK (this is not the case with all USB RS-232 adapters).
*
* There are some dual and quad port uplcom devices, the ones I tried don't
* work too well.
*
*
* On 2011-12-10, Mark Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
* > Greetings:
* >
* > I need to buy a USB serial port adapter and there is no specific mention
* > of these in the supported hardware list. Archive search indicates that
* > they all suck, but the Prolific chipset sucks less. Anyone care to offer
* > a recommendation?
* >
* > Thanks
* > -- Mark
*



Paulo Manoel Mafra
Grupo de Computacao Segura e Confiavel - GCSEG
Departamento de Automacao e Sistemas
Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
"Vitam Impendere Vero"