USB Printing help / how to request.

Keith-125
Hi, I've tried a few times to get my Home FW / Download box to be a
print server with my Epson Stylux Photo R285 but each time I've tried
I've given up as i just couldn't figure how to get it all to work. It
seems really complicated and using Google to find tutorials hasn't helped.

I have been able to get cups installed and can see the web interface
before but I don't realy get any further than that.

1. For some reason cups couldn't find my usb printer. know matter what I
try. I though it might be permissions on the /dev/ file but am not sure.
I have managed in the past to spool text to the /dev/ulpt0/1 port and
make the printer print junk.

2. I think I need a driver to make it work but don't know where to get
the driver or where I should put it once I have it.

3. I don't know if I need a driver ? I just want machines on my network
(PC's and Kindle Tablet) to be able to print through it. I won't want
the OpenBSD box itself to print.

Hope what I am asking makes sense as I am properly confused now :>( and
Thanks for reading.

Thanks
Keith

Re: USB Printing help / how to request.

Antoine Jacoutot-7
On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 12:53:25PM +0000, Keith wrote:
> Hi, I've tried a few times to get my Home FW / Download box to be a
> print server with my Epson Stylux Photo R285 but each time I've
> tried I've given up as i just couldn't figure how to get it all to
> work. It seems really complicated and using Google to find tutorials
> hasn't helped.
>
> I have been able to get cups installed and can see the web interface
> before but I don't realy get any further than that.

If you want cups, make sure to read:
/usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/cups-*

> 1. For some reason cups couldn't find my usb printer. know matter
> what I try. I though it might be permissions on the /dev/ file but
> am not sure. I have managed in the past to spool text to the
> /dev/ulpt0/1 port and make the printer print junk.

CUPS does not use ulpt but libusb (ugen). Again this is all documented in the pkg-readmes file.

> 2. I think I need a driver to make it work but don't know where to
> get the driver or where I should put it once I have it.

You probably want the gutenprint driver which handles most epson printer.

> 3. I don't know if I need a driver ? I just want machines on my
> network (PC's and Kindle Tablet) to be able to print through it. I
> won't want the OpenBSD box itself to print.

You have 2 possibilities here.
1. install the driver on the print server and create raw queues on the clients
2. create a filter-less print queue on the print server using lpd or cups and install the print driver on all clients

--
Antoine