USB Keyboards during install

Matthew Szudzik
There used to be problems using USB keyboards during the OpenBSD install
on i386, and workarounds were discussed in section 12.7.4 of the FAQ.
That section is missing from the current FAQ.

Does this mean that the OpenBSD install kernel now has complete USB
keyboard support for i386, and that the problems discussed in that section
of the FAQ no longer exist?

A Google cache of the section 12.7.4 FAQ is available at

 http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:-M2UMbalaAAJ:www.tw.openbsd.org/faq/faq12.html

Re: USB Keyboards during install

Mike Hernandez-3
On 12/4/06, Matthew P Szudzik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There used to be problems using USB keyboards during the OpenBSD install
> on i386, and workarounds were discussed in section

I've done a few 4.0 installs with usb keyboards on different i386
machines, haven't had to perform any workarounds. Not sure if that's
representative of all cases but I thought I'd mention it.

Mike

Re: USB Keyboards during install

Nick Holland
Matthew P Szudzik wrote:

> There used to be problems using USB keyboards during the OpenBSD install
> on i386, and workarounds were discussed in section 12.7.4 of the FAQ.
> That section is missing from the current FAQ.
>
> Does this mean that the OpenBSD install kernel now has complete USB
> keyboard support for i386, and that the problems discussed in that section
> of the FAQ no longer exist?
>
> A Google cache of the section 12.7.4 FAQ is available at
>
>  http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:-M2UMbalaAAJ:www.tw.openbsd.org/faq/faq12.html

A much better (in my not at all humble opinion) source is the historical
set of PDF/text files that are stored on the FTP mirrors (/pub/OpenBSD/doc
on many mirrors, though it is not a "required" directory).  They go back to
what was in the FAQ back to v3.2.

The Legacy Free Computer From Hell that I based that document on failed a
while back, and I've had no trouble with USB keyboards on anything, so I
removed that section.  No one has contacted me and said, "HEY!  I needed
that!".

If you have any problems, I'd call that a bug, let us know.

Nick.