USB Audio, Serial Terminal

Luigi30
Hi,

I’ve been using OpenBSD 6.3 for a few weeks and I really like it! There are only two major things left that I haven’t been able to figure out.

The first is using my USB headphones. I’ve tried following the instructions in the FAQ (making sure that the audio device is set to the correct uaudio) but to no avail. I’ve disabled my system’s onboard AC’97 audio to make sure that there is only one audio device (confirmed with dmesg, my headphones show up as uaudio0). Which configuration stuff do I need to post for y’all to help me? :(

The second is that I have a VT420 serial terminal I’d like to use with OpenBSD. I have it connected to a PL2303 USB-to-serial adapter. I’ve successfully connected it to other systems using the USB-to-serial adapter, but I’m having some problems with connecting it to OpenBSD. I’ve added entries to ttys for the USB-to-serial adapter and I’ve set it up to use the regular 9600bps gettytab entry. The terminal is configured for 9600 8N1, no XON/XOFF, no RTS/CTS handshaking.

It connects to my system and I’m able to log in but after 15 seconds or so, the terminal loses its DSR signal and the connection resets, sending me back to a new login screen. Anyone have one of these terminals that may be able to advise me on gettytab settings?

Other than that, I’m very pleased with the OS, especially with how quiet my computer is when idle compared to running, say, Windows 10 ;)

Thank you for your assistance!

- Katherine

Re: USB Audio, Serial Terminal

Alexandre Ratchov-2
On Mon, Oct 08, 2018 at 03:10:58AM -0400, Katherine Rohl wrote:

>  The first is using my USB headphones. I’ve tried following the
> instructions in the FAQ (making sure that the audio device is set to
> the correct uaudio) but to no avail. I’ve disabled my system’s
> onboard AC’97 audio to make sure that there is only one audio device
> (confirmed with dmesg, my headphones show up as uaudio0). Which
> configuration stuff do I need to post for y’all to help me? :(

What's the symptom? no sound at all? distorted sound?

You don't need to disable the onboard device; if the usb devices
shows as audio1 in dmesg, just add:

sndiod_flags='-f rsnd/1'

to /etc/rc.conf.local and restard sndiod as:

doas rcctl restart sndiod

Then play any file, ex. "aucat -i /foo/bar.wav" to see it it works. If
it doesn't, first send dmesg (after the test).

Re: USB Audio, Serial Terminal

Stefan Sperling-5
On Mon, Oct 08, 2018 at 03:10:58AM -0400, Katherine Rohl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’ve been using OpenBSD 6.3 for a few weeks and I really like it! There are only two major things left that I haven’t been able to figure out.
>
> The first is using my USB headphones. I’ve tried following the instructions in the FAQ (making sure that the audio device is set to the correct uaudio) but to no avail. I’ve disabled my system’s onboard AC’97 audio to make sure that there is only one audio device (confirmed with dmesg, my headphones show up as uaudio0). Which configuration stuff do I need to post for y’all to help me? :(

If this machine is using a USB3 controller driven by the xhci(4) driver,
then USB audio devices won't work. Support for the data transfer mode
these devices use (called "isochronous transfers") is not yet finished.
Progress has been slow mostly because developers with the necessary
expertise have been busy in areas other than USB.

This problem also affects USB video devices.

> The second is that I have a VT420 serial terminal I’d like to use with OpenBSD. I have it connected to a PL2303 USB-to-serial adapter. I’ve successfully connected it to other systems using the USB-to-serial adapter, but I’m having some problems with connecting it to OpenBSD. I’ve added entries to ttys for the USB-to-serial adapter and I’ve set it up to use the regular 9600bps gettytab entry. The terminal is configured for 9600 8N1, no XON/XOFF, no RTS/CTS handshaking.
>
> It connects to my system and I’m able to log in but after 15 seconds or so, the terminal loses its DSR signal and the connection resets, sending me back to a new login screen. Anyone have one of these terminals that may be able to advise me on gettytab settings?

Not sure, I have never added an entry to gettytab.
For USB serial devices I just run cu(1) like this: cu -l /dev/cuaU0 -s 9600
In fact, 9600 is the default speed so I could omit the -s option in this
case, but the -s option is required for other baud rates.
Does that work for you?

> Other than that, I’m very pleased with the OS, especially with how quiet my computer is when idle compared to running, say, Windows 10 ;)

That's great :) Glad to hear it is working well for you!

On 2018-10-08, Katherine Rohl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The first is using my USB headphones. I’ve tried following the instructions in the FAQ (making sure that the audio device is set to the correct uaudio) but to no avail. I’ve disabled my system’s onboard AC’97 audio to make sure that there is only one audio device (confirmed with dmesg, my headphones show up as uaudio0). Which configuration stuff do I need to post for y’all to help me? :(

The output from "dmesg" would help (the whole thing please, don't trim it).
"usbdevs -v" would also be good to have.

If they are connected to a controller attached as XHCI (USB-3), as Stefan
mentioned, they won't work. Sometimes there might be a BIOS setting to disable
USB-3 and use USB-2 instead, which may help. Or you can disable the xhci
driver in the kernel, sometimes the controller will attach as USB-2 instead,
sometimes it won't attach at all (which can be a problem if your keyboard needs
it). Anyway that's worth a try - at the "boot>" prompt type "boot -c", then
type "disable xhci" and "quit" if you can still type at that point.

> The second is that I have a VT420 serial terminal I’d like to use with OpenBSD. I have it connected to a PL2303 USB-to-serial adapter. I’ve successfully connected it to other systems using the USB-to-serial adapter, but I’m having some problems with connecting it to OpenBSD. I’ve added entries to ttys for the USB-to-serial adapter and I’ve set it up to use the regular 9600bps gettytab entry. The terminal is configured for 9600 8N1, no XON/XOFF, no RTS/CTS handshaking.

This would normally look something like

ttyU0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt420 on  secure

But you could maybe try "cuaU0" instead of "ttyU0" if you are having
problems with hardware control lines (read the tty(4) manual for an
explanation of the differences).