UPS just delivered the 4.0 release CD-set

UPS just delivered the 4.0 release CD-set

Joris Van Herzele
It's true this is hardly relevant for a discussion forum, but I hope you
will all forgive me ... I just felt the need to voice my joy.

We all agree it's great software, but other than that just look at it :
The packaging in itself is already enough to put me in a festive mood :)

--
Joris Van Herzele

"Brad Pitt + Albert Einstein = Dick Cheney" - The Simpsons EABF09

Re: UPS just delivered the 4.0 release CD-set

Sideris Michael-2
On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 02:35:35PM +0200, Joris Van Herzele wrote:
> It's true this is hardly relevant for a discussion forum, but I hope you
> will all forgive me ... I just felt the need to voice my joy.
>
> We all agree it's great software, but other than that just look at it :
> The packaging in itself is already enough to put me in a festive mood :)

Probably I am missing something here, but, isn't the release date
20061101? If so, why the early shipping? Just out of curiosity.

--
Sideris Michael
http://black.daemons.gr/msid/

Re: UPS just delivered the 4.0 release CD-set

Nico Meijer
Hi Joris,

> It's true this is hardly relevant for a discussion forum, but I hope
> you will all forgive me ... I just felt the need to voice my joy.

Congrats! Please notify undeadly.org while you are at it.

AFAIK it is good tradition to have the first "My cd set arrived!" on
misc@.

Now the rest of us can go ballistic. "You lucky bastard!", "Wim,
where's my package!", "My cd case is all busted!" and
<insert-packaging-suggestion-#1>, <insert-packaging-suggestion-#2>, etc.

Be well... Nico :-)

Re: UPS just delivered the 4.0 release CD-set

Frank Bax
At 09:10 AM 10/13/06, Sideris Michael wrote:

>Probably I am missing something here, but, isn't the release date
>20061101? If so, why the early shipping? Just out of curiosity.

I think this means you've never pre-ordered.  FTP sites have new versions
on release dates.  I'm quite sure cdrom are shipped when they're ready and
in the order they were received.

Re: UPS just delivered the 4.0 release CD-set

Mike Hernandez-3
On Oct 13, 2006, at 9:16 AM, Nico Meijer wrote:

> Hi Joris,
>
>> It's true this is hardly relevant for a discussion forum, but I hope
>> you will all forgive me ... I just felt the need to voice my joy.
>
> Congrats! Please notify undeadly.org while you are at it.
>
> AFAIK it is good tradition to have the first "My cd set arrived!" on
> misc@.
>
> Now the rest of us can go ballistic. "You lucky bastard!", "Wim,
> where's my package!", "My cd case is all busted!" and
> <insert-packaging-suggestion-#1>, <insert-packaging-suggestion-#2>,
> etc.
>
> Be well... Nico :-)

I just want my stickers. Especially the one that comes with the audio
cd! :)

Re: UPS just delivered the 4.0 release CD-set

Diana Eichert
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Sideris Michael wrote:
SNIP
> Probably I am missing something here, but, isn't the release date
> 20061101? If so, why the early shipping? Just out of curiosity.
>
> --
> Sideris Michael

I believe early shipment has always been the bonus for people who
pre-order the CDs.  If the CDs are ready, why have them sit on the shelves
somewhere?

diana

Re: UPS just delivered the 4.0 release CD-set

Jeff Quast
On 10/13/06, Sideris Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 02:35:35PM +0200, Joris Van Herzele wrote:
> > It's true this is hardly relevant for a discussion forum, but I hope you
> > will all forgive me ... I just felt the need to voice my joy.
> >
> > We all agree it's great software, but other than that just look at it :
> > The packaging in itself is already enough to put me in a festive mood :)
>
> Probably I am missing something here, but, isn't the release date
> 20061101? If so, why the early shipping? Just out of curiosity.

It has always been this way. Nico forgot to add your question in his
very short explanation of 'the way it is'.

Pressing, Printing, Packaging, Shipping -- these are all done early as
necessary to ensure that the pre-ordered CD's arrive BEFORE the
release date.

So,
If the CD's have been printed and packaged earlier than expected and
are sitting around in somebody's living room -- why not begin shipping
them off?

Consequently,
Those who make pre-orders are often rewarded specialy, getting the
release earlier than those who did not pre-order. This is not WHY,
this is just a consequence of good time management.

I can't wait to see this post next release, too :) (only because I
always enjoy releases)

Re: UPS just delivered the 4.0 release CD-set

Ingo Schwarze
> "Wim, where's my package!",

Please refrain from Vandeputte-bashing...   =;-)  =;-)
First, he is a very nice guy, second, we still need him,
third, he is just moving (see http://www.kd85.com/) and
certainly has enough trouble to put up with, anyway, and
finally, OpenBSD distribution works fine all the same -
e.g., just today, he sent me the payment info for my order...

Re: UPS just delivered the 4.0 release CD-set

Greg Thomas-3
On 10/13/06, Michael Hernandez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2006, at 9:16 AM, Nico Meijer wrote:
>
> > Hi Joris,
> >
> >> It's true this is hardly relevant for a discussion forum, but I hope
> >> you will all forgive me ... I just felt the need to voice my joy.
> >
> > Congrats! Please notify undeadly.org while you are at it.
> >
> > AFAIK it is good tradition to have the first "My cd set arrived!" on
> > misc@.
> >
> > Now the rest of us can go ballistic. "You lucky bastard!", "Wim,
> > where's my package!", "My cd case is all busted!" and
> > <insert-packaging-suggestion-#1>, <insert-packaging-suggestion-#2>,
> > etc.
> >
> > Be well... Nico :-)
> >

> I just want my stickers. Especially the one that comes with the audio
> cd! :)

Hell yeah!  I rarely ever open the OS CDs unless I really have
something to put stickers on but I definitely have a use for the
sticker in the audio CD.

Greg

Re: UPS just delivered the 4.0 release CD-set

Damian Wiest
On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 10:25:15AM -0400, Jeff Quast wrote:

> On 10/13/06, Sideris Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 02:35:35PM +0200, Joris Van Herzele wrote:
> >> It's true this is hardly relevant for a discussion forum, but I hope you
> >> will all forgive me ... I just felt the need to voice my joy.
> >>
> >> We all agree it's great software, but other than that just look at it :
> >> The packaging in itself is already enough to put me in a festive mood :)
> >
> >Probably I am missing something here, but, isn't the release date
> >20061101? If so, why the early shipping? Just out of curiosity.
>
> It has always been this way. Nico forgot to add your question in his
> very short explanation of 'the way it is'.
>
> Pressing, Printing, Packaging, Shipping -- these are all done early as
> necessary to ensure that the pre-ordered CD's arrive BEFORE the
> release date.
>
> So,
> If the CD's have been printed and packaged earlier than expected and
> are sitting around in somebody's living room -- why not begin shipping
> them off?
>
> Consequently,
> Those who make pre-orders are often rewarded specialy, getting the
> release earlier than those who did not pre-order. This is not WHY,
> this is just a consequence of good time management.
>
> I can't wait to see this post next release, too :) (only because I
> always enjoy releases)

Aw, heck.  I had to install FreeBSD 6.1 on a couple of servers because
they were needed before OpenBSD 4.0 would be released and we didn't want
to run pre-release code (which resolved an ACPI issue on NetFrame 1420).
I suppose the lesson here is to pre-order your copy.

-Damian

Re: UPS just delivered the 4.0 release CD-set

Stefan Klein-4
Just a shy question - if version 4 CDs have been shipped already, there
*should* be a downloadable version laying around somewhere, shouldn't it ?

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----
On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 10:25:15AM -0400, Jeff Quast wrote:
> On 10/13/06, Sideris Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 02:35:35PM +0200, Joris Van Herzele wrote:
> >> It's true this is hardly relevant for a discussion forum, but I hope
you
> >> will all forgive me ... I just felt the need to voice my joy.
> >>
> >> We all agree it's great software, but other than that just look at it :
> >> The packaging in itself is already enough to put me in a festive mood
:)

> >Probably I am missing something here, but, isn't the release date
> >20061101? If so, why the early shipping? Just out of curiosity.
>
> It has always been this way. Nico forgot to add your question in his
> very short explanation of 'the way it is'.
>
> Pressing, Printing, Packaging, Shipping -- these are all done early as
> necessary to ensure that the pre-ordered CD's arrive BEFORE the
> release date.
>
> So,
> If the CD's have been printed and packaged earlier than expected and
> are sitting around in somebody's living room -- why not begin shipping
> them off?
>
> Consequently,
> Those who make pre-orders are often rewarded specialy, getting the
> release earlier than those who did not pre-order. This is not WHY,
> this is just a consequence of good time management.
>
> I can't wait to see this post next release, too :) (only because I
> always enjoy releases)

Aw, heck.  I had to install FreeBSD 6.1 on a couple of servers because
they were needed before OpenBSD 4.0 would be released and we didn't want
to run pre-release code (which resolved an ACPI issue on NetFrame 1420).
I suppose the lesson here is to pre-order your copy.

-Damian

Re: UPS just delivered the 4.0 release CD-set

Paulo Rodriguez-2
Nico Meijer schreef:

> Hi Joris,
>

>> It's true this is hardly relevant for a discussion forum, but I hope
>> you will all forgive me ... I just felt the need to voice my joy.
>>

> Congrats! Please notify undeadly.org while you are at it.
>
> AFAIK it is good tradition to have the first "My cd set arrived!" on
> misc@.
>
> Now the rest of us can go ballistic. "You lucky bastard!", "Wim,
> where's my package!", "My cd case is all busted!" and
> <insert-packaging-suggestion-#1>, <insert-packaging-suggestion-#2>, etc.
>
> Be well... Nico :-)
Damn it, I thought I was going to be first again this year. Guess there
won't be an action shot of me dressed as Obelix then.

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Stefan Klein wrote:

> Just a shy question - if version 4 CDs have been shipped already, there
> *should* be a downloadable version laying around somewhere, shouldn't it ?

No but you can build your own release by using the CVS tag for 4.0.  I
take it you have pre-ordered your CDs and can't wait for the early release
to show up on your door stop?

diana

Re: UPS just delivered the 4.0 release CD-set

Sigfred Håversen-2
On Friday 13 October 2006 20:22, Stefan Klein wrote:
> Just a shy question - if version 4 CDs have been shipped already, there
> *should* be a downloadable version laying around somewhere, shouldn't it ?

Those pre-ordering the CD sets gets a preferential treatment ;-) Sometimes
Theo is extra nice and makes the version downloadable a few days before
official release.

/Sigfred

Re: UPS just delivered the 4.0 release CD-set

Daniel Ouellet
Stefan Klein wrote:
> Just a shy question - if version 4 CDs have been shipped already, there
> *should* be a downloadable version laying around somewhere, shouldn't it ?

Nope.

You want it early, you by the CD or you wait on the release date that
will be November 1. (:>

What's the fun of ordering very early if you don't get to play with toys
before the one that only want to download the same stuff free!

Sorry.

Sigfred Heversen wrote on Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 09:14:42PM +0200:
> On Friday 13 October 2006 20:22, Stefan Klein wrote:

>> Just a shy question - if version 4 CDs have been shipped already,
>> there *should* be a downloadable version laying around somewhere,
>> shouldn't it ?

> Those pre-ordering the CD sets gets a preferential treatment ;-)
> Sometimes Theo is extra nice and makes the version downloadable
> a few days before official release.

Do not forget that "releasing" means more than just "putting up
files that have long been available on the web".

Since the time 4.0-release was tagged, bugs may have been fixed
in 4.0-current.  Even if such fixes have already been backported
to 3.9-stable, 4.0-stable does not yet exist.  So one of the things
to be done at release time is a maintenance step: Decide what the
initial difference between 4.0-release and 4.0-stable ought to be,
if any difference is required.

To view the same thing from a different perspective: Running
4.0-release before Theo officially announced the release amounts
to running unsupported code.  Release is called release for a
purpose...

Even if you already have the CD, think twice before putting it into
production before the release has officially been announced: Are you
really sure no fixes are required for your purposes?  You need to
consider this question both for the base system and for any ports
you intend to use.

On 10/13/06, Ingo Schwarze <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Even if you already have the CD, think twice before putting it into
> production before the release has officially been announced: Are you
> really sure no fixes are required for your purposes?  You need to
> consider this question both for the base system and for any ports
> you intend to use.

Thanks for that.  I hadn't thought about it in the past and it could
matter at some point.

Greg

Re: UPS just delivered the 4.0 release CD-set

Nico Meijer
Hey Ingo,

> Please refrain from Vandeputte-bashing...   =;-)  =;-)

Wow, hold your horses. Wim is Belgian, I am Dutch. The Dutch diss the
Belgians. This is a fundamental (f)law of the Universe.

But nevertheless. My three favorite Belgians are:

1) Urbanus
2) Wim
3) God

Be well and keep on smiling... Nico :-)