UPDATE: texlive 2016

Edd Barrett-3
Hi,

Here's an update to tex live 2016.

Can people start playing with this and reporting problems when building
their docs.

The pregen tarball is here for now:
http://theunixzoo.co.uk/random/texmf-var-pregen-2016.tar.xz

Stuart, would you mind hosting this file please?

The plist make target needs the new texscythe I posted the other day.

I've run this through a partial bulk with all the build dependants. No
issues, but I've not yet tested it thoroughly on my own stuff.

I only really use pdflatex, so if you are a user of one of the other
typesetters included, please step up to test.

$ wc -l ~/tmp/tl16.diff
   21361 /home/edd/tmp/tl16.diff

:P

Thanks

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

tl16.diff.gz (163K) Download Attachment

Re: UPDATE: texlive 2016

Nils Reuße-4
> Edd Barrett <[hidden email]> hat am 9. März 2017 um 23:07
> geschrieben:
>

> Hi,
>
> Here's an update to tex live 2016.
>
> Can people start playing with this and reporting problems when building
> their docs.
>
> The pregen tarball is here for now:
> http://theunixzoo.co.uk/random/texmf-var-pregen-2016.tar.xz
>
> Stuart, would you mind hosting this file please?
>
> The plist make target needs the new texscythe I posted the other day.
>
> I've run this through a partial bulk with all the build dependants. No
> issues, but I've not yet tested it thoroughly on my own stuff.
>
> I only really use pdflatex, so if you are a user of one of the other
> typesetters included, please step up to test.
>
> $ wc -l ~/tmp/tl16.diff
>    21361 /home/edd/tmp/tl16.diff
>
> :P
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Best Regards
> Edd Barrett
>
> http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

Hi Ed,

thanks for your hard work.

The update went well for me, but i had to use an obj-directory outside of /usr (the build takes quite a bit of disk space), and had to deinstall texlive 2015 before installing the new packages with `make install-all`.

Regarding texlive, there are some problems with lualatex and some of the packages that ship with texlive 2016, e.g. typearea, which is needed by all KOMA classes like scrartcl.  The package has a bug in version 3.20 [1], which breaks compilation (lualatex only) and got fixed upstream with version 3.21.  I found similar problems with the datetime [2] and standalone [3] packages, and there are probably more.  A workaround exists, namely including the luatex85 package before these packages [4].  Most of the fallout should have been fixed upstream, but i guess there is no way to include updated packages from CTAN in the texlive package?

Anyway, lualatex is still considered beta and version 1.0 will be released with texlive 2017, and i guess that things will just work by then -- so maybe it's ok to ignore this issue for now or just point to the workaround.  Downloading newer packages to a local texmf should also work.

Nils

[1] https://www.tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2016-June/038675.html
[2] http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/315198/datetime-package-does-not-work-with-lualatex-in-tl-2016
[3] http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/315025/lualatex-texlive-2016-standalone-undefined-control-sequence
[4] http://ctan.org/pkg/luatex85

Re: UPDATE: texlive 2016

Edd Barrett-3
Hi Nils,

Thanks for testing.

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 08:06:06AM +0100, Nils Reuße wrote:
> The update went well for me, but i had to use an obj-directory outside
> of /usr (the build takes quite a bit of disk space), and had to
> deinstall texlive 2015 before installing the new packages with `make
> install-all`.

Alright, so I think you are telling me you were unable to test the
update process, only the install-from-scratch process.

> Regarding texlive, there are some problems with lualatex and some of
> the packages that ship with texlive 2016.
> Most of the fallout should have been fixed upstream, but i guess there
> is no way to include updated packages from CTAN in the texlive
> package?

Hrm, that's unfortunate. If you can find a minimal patch to fix this I'd
happily include it. Ideally this would not change the packing lists
though. Or is it more involved?

> Anyway, lualatex is still considered beta and version 1.0 will be
> released with texlive 2017, and i guess that things will just work by
> then -- so maybe it's ok to ignore this issue for now or just point to
> the workaround.

If it helps, I plan to turn around texlive 2017 a bit swifter than I
have 2016.

> Downloading newer packages to a local texmf should also work.

So we have a couple of workarounds at least.

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

Re: UPDATE: texlive 2016

Nils Reuße-4
> Edd Barrett <[hidden email]> hat am 13. März 2017 um 23:04 geschrieben:
>

> Hi Nils,
>
> Thanks for testing.
>
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 08:06:06AM +0100, Nils Reuße wrote:
> > The update went well for me, but i had to use an obj-directory outside
> > of /usr (the build takes quite a bit of disk space), and had to
> > deinstall texlive 2015 before installing the new packages with `make
> > install-all`.
>
> Alright, so I think you are telling me you were unable to test the
> update process, only the install-from-scratch process.

Hi Edd,

yes, i think i didn't try hard enough to update the packages, i only tried typing make install in the port directory, and when that failed, i made it work with make install-all.  I'll try to update from 2015 via pkg_add later.

> > Regarding texlive, there are some problems with lualatex and some of
> > the packages that ship with texlive 2016.
> > Most of the fallout should have been fixed upstream, but i guess there
> > is no way to include updated packages from CTAN in the texlive
> > package?
>
> Hrm, that's unfortunate. If you can find a minimal patch to fix this I'd
> happily include it. Ideally this would not change the packing lists
> though. Or is it more involved?

There is a minimal patch for typearea [1], but i don't know about the other packages.  Furthermore, if we decide to patch some packages but not all, the resulting half-patched texlive is probably worse than an unpatched one, because the behaviour differs from other distributions packages (i found the typearea-problem on OpenSuse last summer, so i knew what i had to look for).

From what i've learned reading about the texlive release process [2], the ctan for texlive 2016 will be in a freeze period soon (staring 1st of april) where no further package updates can be added for texlive 2016.  From looking at the directory of texlive 2015 [3], i *think* this latest ctan package snapshot is then put into a folder named "tlnet-final/archive".  Most of the packages i saw in there have not been touched since the release of texlive 2015, but some have a timestamp of late 2015 / early 2016.  Long story short, this *could* be a way to update all packages to their latest available versions for texlive 2016 once the tlnet-final-directory is created around april, but i have no idea how complicated this would be with the current port infrastructure or if this is appears worthwhile to you at all.

> > Anyway, lualatex is still considered beta and version 1.0 will be
> > released with texlive 2017, and i guess that things will just work by
> > then -- so maybe it's ok to ignore this issue for now or just point to
> > the workaround.
>
> If it helps, I plan to turn around texlive 2017 a bit swifter than I
> have 2016.
>
> > Downloading newer packages to a local texmf should also work.
>
> So we have a couple of workarounds at least.

Sure, there are some workarounds and these problems only affect users of lualatex.  Also, the workarounds can be easily found via google.  Nonetheless, it would be nice to have a working system out of the box and personally, i like the idea of having a stable, "latest" texlive which has been tested and fixed for a year ;)

Nils

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/koma-script/code/2464/tree//trunk/scrkernel-typearea.dtx?diff=52f0ae7181b24b7fb854e8b2:2463
[2] https://www.tug.org/texlive/
[3] ftp://tug.org/historic/systems/texlive/2015/tlnet-final/archive/

> --
> Best Regards
> Edd Barrett
>
> http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

Re: UPDATE: texlive 2016

Edd Barrett-3
Hi Nils,

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 10:06:32AM +0100, Nils Reuße wrote:
> From what i've learned reading about the texlive release process [2],
> the ctan for texlive 2016 will be in a freeze period soon (staring 1st
> of april)

I've just had a prod around in the tlnet-final from 2015. Here's the
lowdown. Sorry for the long mail.

The frozen final versions have a tlpdb file, which is good, as that's
what I use to generate the packing lists. What they don't have is a
tarball containing the corresponding texmf and sources. We would have to
roll our own out of svn, and then we would have to host the (large)
files somewhere.

I had a look to see how much changes from the release texlive 2015 to
the final frozen one:

$ gdiff -u texlive2015.tlpdb texlive-final.tlpdb | wc -l
  342965

So it's no small change, otherwise I could roll up the packages that had
changed, download those as extra distfiles, and patch the release tlpdb.

Assuming we could find hosting, I'm not sure I can face the prospect of
porting texlive 2016-final followed by 2017 only a couple of months
later ;)

What you could try is, on a linux distro (or by building by hand on
OpenBSD), install texlive 2016, then update only those packages that
you said were busted by putting new versions in the ~/.texmf and
see if it works. If it does, I could probably work those in.

But I do wonder, since I'm hoping texlive 2016 will be fairly short
lived in-tree (in favor of the almost released texlive 2017 coming in
June), and since there is a working (albeit annoying) workaround, maybe
the best thing to do is to mention the workaround in our 2016 package
README and hold tight for texlive 2017.

What do you think?

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

Re: UPDATE: texlive 2016

Nils Reuße-4
> Edd Barrett <[hidden email]> hat am 14. März 2017 um 22:53 geschrieben:
>

> Hi Nils,
>
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 10:06:32AM +0100, Nils Reuße wrote:
> > From what i've learned reading about the texlive release process [2],
> > the ctan for texlive 2016 will be in a freeze period soon (staring 1st
> > of april)
>
> I've just had a prod around in the tlnet-final from 2015. Here's the
> lowdown. Sorry for the long mail.
>
> The frozen final versions have a tlpdb file, which is good, as that's
> what I use to generate the packing lists. What they don't have is a
> tarball containing the corresponding texmf and sources. We would have to
> roll our own out of svn, and then we would have to host the (large)
> files somewhere.
>
> I had a look to see how much changes from the release texlive 2015 to
> the final frozen one:
>
> $ gdiff -u texlive2015.tlpdb texlive-final.tlpdb | wc -l
>   342965
>
> So it's no small change, otherwise I could roll up the packages that had
> changed, download those as extra distfiles, and patch the release tlpdb.
>
> Assuming we could find hosting, I'm not sure I can face the prospect of
> porting texlive 2016-final followed by 2017 only a couple of months
> later ;)
>
> What you could try is, on a linux distro (or by building by hand on
> OpenBSD), install texlive 2016, then update only those packages that
> you said were busted by putting new versions in the ~/.texmf and
> see if it works. If it does, I could probably work those in.
>
> But I do wonder, since I'm hoping texlive 2016 will be fairly short
> lived in-tree (in favor of the almost released texlive 2017 coming in
> June), and since there is a working (albeit annoying) workaround, maybe
> the best thing to do is to mention the workaround in our 2016 package
> README and hold tight for texlive 2017.
>
> What do you think?
>
> --
> Best Regards
> Edd Barrett
>
> http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

Hi Edd,

thanks for looking into this.  Personally, i can get around with the workarounds, and with texlive 2017 arriving somewhat soon, these issues should all be gone, or at least be as present as in the frozen texlive 2016 texmf-latest.  But many thanks for checking up on my idea, seems like this is feasible only when using the texlive installer/package manager.

Adding a small note to the README would be great, i think it will be enough to mention that one should add '\RequirePackage{luatex85}' at the very first line of a file when encountering an error using lualatex with texlive 2016.

On a somewhat related note: i posted an update for textproc/latexmk, but did not receive any comment.  So, as you definitely are the latex guy around, could you maybe have a look into that port as well? ;)

Thanks again and best regards
Nils

Re: UPDATE: texlive 2016

Edd Barrett-3
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:39:13AM +0100, Nils Reuße wrote:

> Adding a small note to the README would be great, i think it will be
> enough to mention that one should add '\RequirePackage{luatex85}' at
> the very first line of a file when encountering an error using
> lualatex with texlive 2016.

I've pushed a note to OpenBSD-wip. I'll re-post a new diff after the 6.1
unlock.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards