UPDATE: TeX Live 2017

Edd Barrett-3
Hi all,

Here's an initial TeX Live 2017 diff. If you rely on TeX stuff, please
give it a spin and report breakage!

This includes kili@'s recent change to use internal poppler. I don't
want to trample his work if I can help it.

This year I've enabled the official tests, and killed my own.

I've tested in in a partial bulk on all ports that BUILD_DEPEND tex live.
All good!

Remember that the tug.org FTP server flaky with our ftp(1)
implementation, so you will probably need to retry the fetch a few
times.

TODO:
 * Move pregen tarball to Stuart's mirror (if he agrees!).
 * Test upgrade path.
 * Look in mailing lists for security patches.
 * Talk about LIBCXX.

I see that our in-tree TeX Live includes both ${LIBCXX} and
${COMPILER_LIBCXX} in WANTLIB. Shouldn't it be just ${COMPILER_LIBCXX}?

gzipped diff attached.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

tl17.diff.gz (281K) Download Attachment

Re: UPDATE: TeX Live 2017

Giovanni Bechis-7
On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 11:56:16PM +0000, Edd Barrett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here's an initial TeX Live 2017 diff. If you rely on TeX stuff, please
> give it a spin and report breakage!
>
> This includes kili@'s recent change to use internal poppler. I don't
> want to trample his work if I can help it.
>
> This year I've enabled the official tests, and killed my own.
>
> I've tested in in a partial bulk on all ports that BUILD_DEPEND tex live.
> All good!
>
> Remember that the tug.org FTP server flaky with our ftp(1)
> implementation, so you will probably need to retry the fetch a few
> times.

My mirror is up and running with distfiles.
 Giovanni

> TODO:
>  * Move pregen tarball to Stuart's mirror (if he agrees!).
>  * Test upgrade path.
>  * Look in mailing lists for security patches.
>  * Talk about LIBCXX.
>
> I see that our in-tree TeX Live includes both ${LIBCXX} and
> ${COMPILER_LIBCXX} in WANTLIB. Shouldn't it be just ${COMPILER_LIBCXX}?
>
> gzipped diff attached.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Best Regards
> Edd Barrett
>
> http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

Re: UPDATE: TeX Live 2017

Stuart Henderson-6
On 2018/01/11 23:56, Edd Barrett wrote:
> Remember that the tug.org FTP server flaky with our ftp(1)
> implementation, so you will probably need to retry the fetch a few
> times.

Or turn off the buggy keepalive (FETCH_CMD="/usr/bin/ftp -V -m -C -k0").
(I never figured out why, but the responses to the NOOPs aren't sent by
the ftp server until right at the end, whereas with other ftp clients
that send NOOPs, the server responds after each NOOP).

> I see that our in-tree TeX Live includes both ${LIBCXX} and
> ${COMPILER_LIBCXX} in WANTLIB. Shouldn't it be just ${COMPILER_LIBCXX}?

The way to check would be to remove the existing WANTLIB and see what
port-lib-depends-check gives you on a base=gcc arch.

Re: UPDATE: TeX Live 2017

Matthias Kilian

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 11:56:16PM +0000, Edd Barrett wrote:
> Here's an initial TeX Live 2017 diff. If you rely on TeX stuff, please
> give it a spin and report breakage!

I'll give it a try on sunday, I hope.

> This includes kili@'s recent change to use internal poppler. I don't
> want to trample his work if I can help it.

Thanks. Chances are good that we can just use the patches wrt poppler
the archlinux people did on top ot TeXLive 2017. I'll try this in
a separate build, too.

Ciao,
        Kili

Re: UPDATE: TeX Live 2017

Jan Stary
Hi Edd,

> Here's an initial TeX Live 2017 diff. If you rely on TeX stuff, please
> give it a spin and report breakage!

it built overnight on my current/amd64.

Every TeX file I cared to compile does compile.

> Remember that the tug.org FTP server flaky with our ftp(1)
> implementation, so you will probably need to retry the fetch a few
> times.

I eventually gave up re-fetching
and downloaded it with wget.

> gzipped diff attached.

Thank you for the massive effort!

        Jan

Re: UPDATE: TeX Live 2017

Jan Stary
On Jan 21 09:14:09, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Here's an initial TeX Live 2017 diff. If you rely on TeX stuff, please
> > give it a spin and report breakage!
>
> it built overnight on my current/amd64.

(I have the full script(1) if it's of any interest.)

Re: UPDATE: TeX Live 2017

Matthias Kilian

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:20:34PM +0100, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 11:56:16PM +0000, Edd Barrett wrote:
> > Here's an initial TeX Live 2017 diff. If you rely on TeX stuff, please
> > give it a spin and report breakage!
>
> I'll give it a try on sunday, I hope.

A little bit late, and it's not even sunday, but I rebuilt all ports
containing print/texlive and/or print/texinfo (because the latter
contains texi2dvi, which is used by other ports during build time)
in their dependencies. No problems at all.

I also updated my home desktop without any problems and ran
pkg_check(8) after the update to see wether some junk had been left
around. Also not problems at all.

However, I only had texlive_base and texlive_texmf-buildset installed,
so that update test wasn't complete. I'll retest this with the
complete set (texlive_texmf-minimal and texlive_texmf-full) on my
work desktop tomorrow. If this doesn't show any problems, I think
your update should go in as it is. Any pending minor nits can be
fixed later.

Ciao,
        Kili

Re: UPDATE: TeX Live 2017

Edd Barrett-3
Great!

Thanks so much for testing!!

On 25 January 2018 21:41:04 GMT, Matthias Kilian <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:20:34PM +0100, Matthias Kilian wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 11:56:16PM +0000, Edd Barrett wrote:
>> > Here's an initial TeX Live 2017 diff. If you rely on TeX stuff,
>please
>> > give it a spin and report breakage!
>>
>> I'll give it a try on sunday, I hope.
>
>A little bit late, and it's not even sunday, but I rebuilt all ports
>containing print/texlive and/or print/texinfo (because the latter
>contains texi2dvi, which is used by other ports during build time)
>in their dependencies. No problems at all.
>
>I also updated my home desktop without any problems and ran
>pkg_check(8) after the update to see wether some junk had been left
>around. Also not problems at all.
>
>However, I only had texlive_base and texlive_texmf-buildset installed,
>so that update test wasn't complete. I'll retest this with the
>complete set (texlive_texmf-minimal and texlive_texmf-full) on my
>work desktop tomorrow. If this doesn't show any problems, I think
>your update should go in as it is. Any pending minor nits can be
>fixed later.
>
>Ciao,
> Kili

Re: UPDATE: TeX Live 2017

Matthias Kilian

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 10:41:04PM +0100, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> However, I only had texlive_base and texlive_texmf-buildset installed,
> so that update test wasn't complete. I'll retest this with the
> complete set (texlive_texmf-minimal and texlive_texmf-full) on my
> work desktop tomorrow.

No problems there, either.

So ok for me.

Ciao,
        Kili

Re: UPDATE: TeX Live 2017

Edd Barrett-3
On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 08:10:37PM +0100, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> So ok for me.

Excellent!

I've just kicked up my sparc64 to test the build there. If all is well,
I'd be tempted to commit, and, as you say, fix anything bad in-tree.

[Although, I've not detected any badness so far]

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

Re: UPDATE: TeX Live 2017

Edd Barrett-3
On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 12:21:35PM +0000, Edd Barrett wrote:
> I've just kicked up my sparc64 to test the build there.

Scratch that. My sparc64 system is ill :(

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk