UEFI

sven falempin
My laptop has <<no>> BIOS.
What do you recommend to get openBSD on it ?

/\

Re: UEFI

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
sven falempin <[hidden email]> writes:

> My laptop has <<no>> BIOS.
> What do you recommend to get openBSD on it ?

It's not entirely uncommon to have a (sometimes quite well hidden)
option to choose 'legacy mode' or similar over UEFI mode.

But you should be prepared to dig out the long form user or service
manual for your device to track down just how to enable it.

- P

Re: UEFI

sven falempin
On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Peter N. M. Hansteen <[hidden email]>wrote:

> sven falempin <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > My laptop has <<no>> BIOS.
> > What do you recommend to get openBSD on it ?
>
> It's not entirely uncommon to have a (sometimes quite well hidden)
> option to choose 'legacy mode' or similar over UEFI mode.
>
> But you should be prepared to dig out the long form user or service
> manual for your device to track down just how to enable it.
>
> - P
> --
> Peter N. M. Hansteen, member of the first RFC 1149 implementation team
> http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
> "Remember to set the evil bit on all malicious network traffic"
> delilah spamd[29949]: 85.152.224.147: disconnected after 42673 seconds.

Not  helping .

Did someone use grub 2 to achieve a uefi boot ?

/\

Re: UEFI

Dmitrij D. Czarkoff-2
sven falempin wrote:
>Not  helping .

What are your laptop vender and model?

Dmitrij D. Czarkoff

Re: UEFI

noah pugsley-3
On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 1:29 PM, sven falempin <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Peter N. M. Hansteen <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > sven falempin <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> > > My laptop has <<no>> BIOS.
> > > What do you recommend to get openBSD on it ?
> >
> > It's not entirely uncommon to have a (sometimes quite well hidden)
> > option to choose 'legacy mode' or similar over UEFI mode.
> >
> > But you should be prepared to dig out the long form user or service
> > manual for your device to track down just how to enable it.
> >
> > - P
> > --
> > Peter N. M. Hansteen, member of the first RFC 1149 implementation team
> > http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
> > "Remember to set the evil bit on all malicious network traffic"
> > delilah spamd[29949]: 85.152.224.147: disconnected after 42673 seconds.
> >

> Not  helping .
>
> Did someone use grub 2 to achieve a uefi boot ?

It might not have been the answer you wanted but did you even try Peters
suggestion?

> () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> /\

Re: UEFI

Amit Kulkarni-5
> > > My laptop has <<no>> BIOS.
> > > What do you recommend to get openBSD on it ?
> >
> > It's not entirely uncommon to have a (sometimes quite well hidden)
> > option to choose 'legacy mode' or similar over UEFI mode.
> >
> > But you should be prepared to dig out the long form user or service
> > manual for your device to track down just how to enable it.
> >
> > - P
> > --
> > Peter N. M. Hansteen, member of the first RFC 1149 implementation team
> > http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
> > "Remember to set the evil bit on all malicious network traffic"
> > delilah spamd[29949]: 85.152.224.147: disconnected after 42673 seconds.
> >

> Not  helping .
>
> Did someone use grub 2 to achieve a uefi boot ?

This desktop is plain Dell inspiron 660s. I grabbed a linux CD (fedora or
OpenSuse, i forget), and blew away Windows 8. I was searching for Windows 7
for dual-boot purposes, but they pre-loaded Windows 8 at that time.

The search string you are looking for is something like: "Legacy mode with
secure boot disabled".

Try this at your own risk.

Re: UEFI

Chris Cappuccio
sven falempin [[hidden email]] wrote:
> My laptop has <<no>> BIOS.
> What do you recommend to get openBSD on it ?

Damn, someone should port over the GPT stuff from Bitrig.
That's half the problem solved right there.

Re: UEFI

amarendra godbole
> On Nov 5, 2013, at 10:49 AM, [hidden email] (Peter N. M. Hansteen) wrote:
>
> sven falempin <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> My laptop has <<no>> BIOS.
>> What do you recommend to get openBSD on it ?
>
> It's not entirely uncommon to have a (sometimes quite well hidden)
> option to choose 'legacy mode' or similar over UEFI mode.
>
> But you should be prepared to dig out the long form user or service
> manual for your device to track down just how to enable it.
>
> - P
> --
> Peter N. M. Hansteen, member of the first RFC 1149 implementation team
> http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
> "Remember to set the evil bit on all malicious network traffic"
> delilah spamd[29949]: 85.152.224.147: disconnected after 42673 seconds.
> [...]

+1, laptops do have legacy mode for older operating systems. Did the same thing for my X230.

-Amarendra

Re: UEFI

Mayuresh Kathe-4
just install another 'os' like ubuntu-desktop on your laptop first.
openbsd will install on it flawlessly after that, it did on mine.
and yes, there was no need to change any options anywhere.

Re: UEFI

Raimo Niskanen-7
On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 04:29:04PM -0500, sven falempin wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Peter N. M. Hansteen <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > sven falempin <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> > > My laptop has <<no>> BIOS.
> > > What do you recommend to get openBSD on it ?
> >
> > It's not entirely uncommon to have a (sometimes quite well hidden)
> > option to choose 'legacy mode' or similar over UEFI mode.
> >
> > But you should be prepared to dig out the long form user or service
> > manual for your device to track down just how to enable it.
> >
> > - P
> > --
> > Peter N. M. Hansteen, member of the first RFC 1149 implementation team
> > http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
> > "Remember to set the evil bit on all malicious network traffic"
> > delilah spamd[29949]: 85.152.224.147: disconnected after 42673 seconds.
> >

> Not  helping .

Try holding down [Esc], [F2], [F8], or [Del] directly after power on,
or as suggested find the manual for the laptop to figure out how to
get into the BIOS.

Then enable legacy boot and disable secure boot.

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 09:49:44AM -0500, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> just install another 'os' like ubuntu-desktop on your laptop first.
> openbsd will install on it flawlessly after that, it did on mine.
> and yes, there was no need to change any options anywhere.

On my daughter's brand spanking new Lenovo Ideapad $something Touch, we
needed to set the BIOS to 'legacy mode' in order to have it boot into the
Ubuntu installer and then choose some obscure linux kernel parameter for
it to switch to a usable graphics mode for the installer to complete.

For some reason she wanted her laptop on Ubuntu and to use it herself from that point on.

- P

Re: UEFI

sven falempin
On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Peter N. M. Hansteen <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 09:49:44AM -0500, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> > just install another 'os' like ubuntu-desktop on your laptop first.
> > openbsd will install on it flawlessly after that, it did on mine.
> > and yes, there was no need to change any options anywhere.
>
> On my daughter's brand spanking new Lenovo Ideapad $something Touch, we
> needed to set the BIOS to 'legacy mode' in order to have it boot into the
> Ubuntu installer and then choose some obscure linux kernel parameter for
> it to switch to a usable graphics mode for the installer to complete.
>
> For some reason she wanted her laptop on Ubuntu and to use it herself from
> that point on.
>
> - P
>
> --
> Peter N. M. Hansteen, member of the first RFC 1149 implementation team
> http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
> "Remember to set the evil bit on all malicious network traffic"
> delilah spamd[29949]: 85.152.224.147: disconnected after 42673 seconds.

Why you people are talking about your Lenovo experience ? are you salesman ?

*facepalm*

/\

Re: UEFI

Philip Guenther-2
On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 7:53 AM, sven falempin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why you people are talking about your Lenovo experience ? are you salesman ?

Because talking in the abstract with absolutely no details about the
real product involved isn't helpful.

"Hi, I'm having a problem, but I'm not going to describe at all what
hardware or vendor is involved, or even what type of CPU.  And please
don't talk about real-world examples of your own."

Given the lack of data, I'll answer your original question:
> What do you recommend to get openBSD on it ?

Return it to the unknown/unnamed vendor and get a different box.

Philip Guenther

Re: UEFI

amarendra godbole
On Nov 6, 2013, at 7:53 AM, sven falempin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Peter N. M. Hansteen <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 09:49:44AM -0500, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
>>> just install another 'os' like ubuntu-desktop on your laptop first.
>>> openbsd will install on it flawlessly after that, it did on mine.
>>> and yes, there was no need to change any options anywhere.
>>
>> On my daughter's brand spanking new Lenovo Ideapad $something Touch, we
>> needed to set the BIOS to 'legacy mode' in order to have it boot into the
>> Ubuntu installer and then choose some obscure linux kernel parameter for
>> it to switch to a usable graphics mode for the installer to complete.
>>
>> For some reason she wanted her laptop on Ubuntu and to use it herself from
>> that point on.
>>
>> - P
>>
>> --
>> Peter N. M. Hansteen, member of the first RFC 1149 implementation team
>> http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
>> "Remember to set the evil bit on all malicious network traffic"
>> delilah spamd[29949]: 85.152.224.147: disconnected after 42673 seconds.
>
> Why you people are talking about your Lenovo experience ? are you salesman ?
>
> *facepalm*
>
> [...]

Oh damn right - you see Peter is Lenovo's Taiwan head, Mayuresh manages their APAC sales and I handle North America sales! ROFL.

For your laptop, did you probe BIOS options as Peter suggested? The answer is a simple yes or no *hint*

-ag

sent via 100% recycled electrons from my mobile command center.

Re: UEFI

sven falempin
On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM, ag@gmail <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2013, at 7:53 AM, sven falempin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Peter N. M. Hansteen <[hidden email]
> >wrote:

> >> On my daughter's brand spanking new Lenovo Ideapad $something Touch, we
> >> needed to set the BIOS to 'legacy mode' in order to have it boot into
> the
> >> Ubuntu installer and then choose some obscure linux kernel parameter for
> >> it to switch to a usable graphics mode for the installer to complete.
> >>
> >> For some reason she wanted her laptop on Ubuntu and to use it herself
> from
> >> that point on.
> >>
> >> - P
> >>
> >> --
> >> Peter N. M. Hansteen, member of the first RFC 1149 implementation team
> >> http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
> >> "Remember to set the evil bit on all malicious network traffic"
> >> delilah spamd[29949]: 85.152.224.147: disconnected after 42673 seconds.
> >
> > Why you people are talking about your Lenovo experience ? are you
> salesman ?
> >
> > *facepalm*
> >
> > [...]
>
> Oh damn right - you see Peter is Lenovo's Taiwan head, Mayuresh manages
> their APAC sales and I handle North America sales! ROFL.

I knew it :D

> For your laptop, did you probe BIOS options as Peter suggested? The answer
> is a simple yes or no *hint*

Yes i spend a lot of times in the settings disabling the secure boot and
trying to boot various OSes changing the settings, even with ESXi (the best
result i got was with this one).

because you are all asking for trivia:

This is a ASUS N76V

But i do not want to go back to legacy BIOS, the laptop got a supported
restoration working with it, i do not want to break it.

I found some kind of uefi code a long time ago and lost the reference , i
was hopping someone knows about some kind of firmware that would emulate
the BIOS work.

The goal is to boot over usb, i had linux/windows/openbsd and more 10 years
ago on a computer i do not want to have this madness again.

> -ag
>
> --
> sent via 100% recycled electrons from my mobile command center.

/\

Re: UEFI

Theo de Raadt
> because you are all asking for trivia:
>
> This is a ASUS N76V

Bullshit.  That is not trivia.  That's the important bit.

Re: UEFI

Eric S Pulley
>> because you are all asking for trivia:
>>
>> This is a ASUS N76V
>
> Bullshit.  That is not trivia.  That's the important bit.

Okay now that we know what model you have. I can tell you that it has a
legacy mode and boots OpenBSD just fine in that mode. You said that you
want to keep the recovery stuff from ASUS and that presumably is why you
want the laptop to remain using UEFI (I dont understand this but that's
your choice). So simple solution, remove the HD that the laptop shipped
with and throw it in a drawer to save. Put in a new 7200rpm drive and
switch it over to legacy. Far better to spend the 100ish bucks on a HD
then waste your time dealing with the UEFI crap.

The laptop has other major issues with the hybrid Intel/Nvidia graphics
though... I had one and got rid of it since it only played nice with
Windows 8 and sorta put up with Linux.

--
                  |  _   ASCII Ribbon
Eric S Pulley     | ( )  Campaign Against
<[hidden email] |  X   HTML Mail
                  | / \  www.asciiribbon.org

Re: UEFI

STeve Andre'
On 11/06/13 10:53, sven falempin wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Peter N. M. Hansteen <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 09:49:44AM -0500, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
>>> just install another 'os' like ubuntu-desktop on your laptop first.
>>> openbsd will install on it flawlessly after that, it did on mine.
>>> and yes, there was no need to change any options anywhere.
>> On my daughter's brand spanking new Lenovo Ideapad $something Touch, we
>> needed to set the BIOS to 'legacy mode' in order to have it boot into the
>> Ubuntu installer and then choose some obscure linux kernel parameter for
>> it to switch to a usable graphics mode for the installer to complete.
>>
>> For some reason she wanted her laptop on Ubuntu and to use it herself from
>> that point on.
>>
>> - P
>>
>> --
>> Peter N. M. Hansteen, member of the first RFC 1149 implementation team
>> http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
>> "Remember to set the evil bit on all malicious network traffic"
>> delilah spamd[29949]: 85.152.224.147: disconnected after 42673 seconds.
>>
> Why you people are talking about your Lenovo experience ? are you salesman ?
>

> *facepalm*

Sven,  Thinkpads are still the best laptops out there.  I have dealt with
many others in the the last year, and thinkpads still rule.  This W500
I bought 5 years ago is still running.  None of the non-TP laptops friends
bought in that time frame are still work.

The quality of ALL laptops has gone downhill, but the thinkpads are still
at the top of the list (even with the new wretched keyboards they have).

Add the UEFI horror for non-Windows users and giving exact details
becomes important.

--STeve Andre'

ps: Has anyone run OpenBSD on a System76 laptop?

Re: UEFI

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
sven falempin <[hidden email]> writes:

> The goal is to boot over usb, i had linux/windows/openbsd and more 10 years
> ago on a computer i do not want to have this madness again.

Multibooting always has carried with it its own very special brand of
pain, and more likely than not always will, to be liberally
distributed to all comers.  And of course with new and exciting
varieties turning up every few weeks to keep our heroic developers
busy and provide new thrills for all you other gluttons for
punishment.

The world has not turned into a saner place during the last decade,
and even less so in that particular corner you seem to insist on
seeking out.

Despite your most determined efforts to the contrary, numerous bits of
valuable and useful information have been offered to you, for free.

Now please do yourself and everybody else a favor and try following
some of that advice.

- Peter

Re: UEFI

Dmitrij D. Czarkoff-2
sven falempin wrote:
> The goal is to boot over usb, i had linux/windows/openbsd and more 10 years
> ago on a computer i do not want to have this madness again.

I currently multiboot OpenBSD and Windows on my Lenovo (I'm their salesman too) laptop. And I did multiboot Linux and Windows 10 years ago (though I had only one OS in between). What madness are you talking about?

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff

12