UDF - where are we ?

Uwe Dippel
Tried the last hours to debug a growisofs problem; which finally turned
out to be a UDF problem; after I found
http://groups.google.com.my/group/mailing.openbsd.bugs/browse_frm/thread/cc83628ed178e43c/433bf632f7ad2f55?tvc=1#433bf632f7ad2f55

growisofs writes proper DVDs of any size; only mount doesn't work; any
file larger than 2 GB will show with wrong content and a negative size.
No wonder, it mounts as iso9660.
But how do I get it mounted as udf ? I tried
mount -t udf /dev/cd0c /dvd, but it comes with a blue kernel message:
udf-mount: enforcing read-only mode
mount -t udf /dev/cd0c dvd
mount_udf: mount: Invalid argument
while
mount /dev/cd0c dvd
is fine, but as iso9660

The FAQ says:
The newer Universal Disk Format (UDF) filesystem on some
DVDs is not supported. However, almost all DVD-Video and DVD-ROM discs use the
UDF bridge format, which is a combination of the DVD MicroUDF (subset of UDF
1.02) and ISO 9660 file systems. This bridge format provides backwards
compatibility for operating systems which do not yet support UDF.

And man mount_udf says:
The mount_udf command attaches a UDF filesystem (typically found on a
DVD) residing on the device special to the global filesystem namespace at
the location indicated by node.  This command is invoked by mount(8) when
using the syntax

mount [options] -t udf special node

Can someone please shed a light on this, thanks,

Uwe

P.S.: I know that growisofs works okay, since everything mounts fine on
Linux

Re: UDF - where are we ?

Otto Moerbeek
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Uwe Dippel wrote:

> Tried the last hours to debug a growisofs problem; which finally turned
> out to be a UDF problem; after I found
> http://groups.google.com.my/group/mailing.openbsd.bugs/browse_frm/thread/cc83628ed178e43c/433bf632f7ad2f55?tvc=1#433bf632f7ad2f55
>
> growisofs writes proper DVDs of any size; only mount doesn't work; any
> file larger than 2 GB will show with wrong content and a negative size.
> No wonder, it mounts as iso9660.
> But how do I get it mounted as udf ? I tried
> mount -t udf /dev/cd0c /dvd, but it comes with a blue kernel message:
> udf-mount: enforcing read-only mode
> mount -t udf /dev/cd0c dvd
> mount_udf: mount: Invalid argument
> while
> mount /dev/cd0c dvd
> is fine, but as iso9660
>
> The FAQ says:
> The newer Universal Disk Format (UDF) filesystem on some
> DVDs is not supported. However, almost all DVD-Video and DVD-ROM discs use the
> UDF bridge format, which is a combination of the DVD MicroUDF (subset of UDF
> 1.02) and ISO 9660 file systems. This bridge format provides backwards
> compatibility for operating systems which do not yet support UDF.
>
> And man mount_udf says:
> The mount_udf command attaches a UDF filesystem (typically found on a
> DVD) residing on the device special to the global filesystem namespace at
> the location indicated by node.  This command is invoked by mount(8) when
> using the syntax
>
> mount [options] -t udf special node
>
> Can someone please shed a light on this, thanks,

What does disklabel cd0 say?

        -Otto

Re: UDF - where are we ?

Uwe Dippel
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:45:23 +0100, Otto Moerbeek wrote:

> What does disklabel cd0 say?

# /dev/rcd0c:
type: ATAPI
disk: CDROM
label:
flags: removable
bytes/sector: 2048
sectors/track: 100
tracks/cylinder: 1
sectors/cylinder: 100
cylinders: 15290
total sectors: 1528976
rpm: 300
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
drivedata: 0

3 partitions:
#             size        offset  fstype [fsize bsize  cpg]
a:       1528976             0 ISO9660                   # Cyl     0 - 15289*
c:       1528976             0 ISO9660                   # Cyl     0 - 15289*

It is exactly the same drive with which the growisofs wrote the data.
The dmesg has been floating around, so I only add the passage on the DVD
here, again:

atapiscsi0 at pciide0 channel 1 drive 1
scsibus2 at atapiscsi0: 2 targets
cd0 at scsibus2 targ 0 lun 0: <HL-DT-ST, DVDRRW GWA-4166B, 2.04> SCSI0 5/cdrom removable
cd0(pciide0:1:1): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2

Re: UDF - where are we ?

Jacob Meuser
On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 08:37:30PM +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:

> Tried the last hours to debug a growisofs problem; which finally turned
> out to be a UDF problem; after I found
> http://groups.google.com.my/group/mailing.openbsd.bugs/browse_frm/thread/cc83628ed178e43c/433bf632f7ad2f55?tvc=1#433bf632f7ad2f55
>
> growisofs writes proper DVDs of any size; only mount doesn't work; any
> file larger than 2 GB will show with wrong content and a negative size.
> No wonder, it mounts as iso9660.
> But how do I get it mounted as udf ? I tried
> mount -t udf /dev/cd0c /dvd, but it comes with a blue kernel message:
> udf-mount: enforcing read-only mode

but did it not mount the disc?

that's from sys/isofs/udf/udf_vfsops.c, and actually it's udf_mount:...

that's not a message from a fatal error, it's just "informative".

<[hidden email]>

Re: UDF - where are we ?

Uwe Dippel
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:23:43 -0800, Jacob Meuser wrote:

> but did it not mount the disc?

njet. zero.

> that's from sys/isofs/udf/udf_vfsops.c, and actually it's udf_mount:...
>
> that's not a message from a fatal error, it's just "informative".

I *did* understand this. It was added for completeness of this report.
No, my -t udf didn't mount it. The default mounts it properly, except for
large files. It looks exactly like in that cited google post; like jumping
to negative numbers at an integer overflow. I could live with the wrong
size indication, but the content also is screwed. Anything below 2 GB is
perfect.
Have you tried with a large file ? I have been using it successfully,
only yesterday I wanted to burn some 'dump'-images to DVD when the
mess showed at my control mounts after burning. And I expected growisofs
initially.

Uwe

Re: UDF - where are we ?

Pedro Martelletto
On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 08:37:30PM +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:
> file larger than 2 GB will show with wrong content and a negative size.

This was fixed in 8/11, and made the stable tree on 1/12.

-p.