(U)EFI install and boot not finding hd0a:/bsd

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

(U)EFI install and boot not finding hd0a:/bsd

Bryan Vyhmeister-3
Perhaps this is related to something else but on my 2013 MacBook Air
with an OpenBSD-only EFI install, boot fails to attempt booting from
hd0a:/bsd but instead tries fd0a:/bsd several times. I tried adding
/etc/boot.conf with boot hd0a:/bsd in both sd0i (the EFI boot partition)
and sd0a. Is this something unique to Apple hardware or is this
something that all (U)EFI installs have trouble with?

Bryan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (U)EFI install and boot not finding hd0a:/bsd

Sevan / Venture37-2
On 1 November 2015 at 18:09, Bryan Vyhmeister <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps this is related to something else but on my 2013 MacBook Air
> with an OpenBSD-only EFI install, boot fails to attempt booting from
> hd0a:/bsd but instead tries fd0a:/bsd several times. I tried adding
> /etc/boot.conf with boot hd0a:/bsd in both sd0i (the EFI boot partition)
> and sd0a. Is this something unique to Apple hardware or is this
> something that all (U)EFI installs have trouble with?

Same issue on the mid-2012 Air
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSvkrgcWEAAF0xI.jpg


Sevan / Venture37

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (U)EFI install and boot not finding hd0a:/bsd

Bryan Vyhmeister-3
On Sun, Nov 1, 2015, at 04:18 PM, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:

> On 1 November 2015 at 18:09, Bryan Vyhmeister <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Perhaps this is related to something else but on my 2013 MacBook Air
> > with an OpenBSD-only EFI install, boot fails to attempt booting from
> > hd0a:/bsd but instead tries fd0a:/bsd several times. I tried adding
> > /etc/boot.conf with boot hd0a:/bsd in both sd0i (the EFI boot partition)
> > and sd0a. Is this something unique to Apple hardware or is this
> > something that all (U)EFI installs have trouble with?
>
> Same issue on the mid-2012 Air
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSvkrgcWEAAF0xI.jpg

Do you have the same issues with inteldrm(4) attaching to pci(4) and
then the display getting garbled?

Bryan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (U)EFI install and boot not finding hd0a:/bsd

Sevan / Venture37-2
On 2 November 2015 at 00:57, Bryan Vyhmeister <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you have the same issues with inteldrm(4) attaching to pci(4) and
> then the display getting garbled?

I didn't check.
With miniroot58.fs can't boot and if I use the traditional media with
BIOS support, I have to keep on pressing a key on my keyboard to
prevent the screen from going to sleep so everything is a little
frantic.

Sevan / Venture37

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (U)EFI install and boot not finding hd0a:/bsd

Bryan Vyhmeister-3
On Mon, Nov 2, 2015, at 01:53 AM, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
> With miniroot58.fs can't boot and if I use the traditional media with
> BIOS support, I have to keep on pressing a key on my keyboard to
> prevent the screen from going to sleep so everything is a little
> frantic.

Interesting. I booted to do the install with miniroot58.fs written to a
USB flash drive. I then added an additional partition to the same USB
flash drive and put all my sets in there (long story short). Normally I
have been unable to get to the install prompt successfully with
traditional non-(U)EFI boot media. The install has always frozen with
various problems. This time, after booting from EFI, everything went
just fine. Now, if I disabled inteldrm(4) and switched back to efifb(4)
and used wsfb(4) in X, I could have a mostly working install. I’m hoping
changes come through on inteldrm(4) attachment to fix this display
corruption and this system might be an excellent OpenBSD option (with a
USB urtwn(4) or other for wireless).

Bryan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (U)EFI install and boot not finding hd0a:/bsd

YASUOKA Masahiko-3
In reply to this post by Bryan Vyhmeister-3
On Sun, 01 Nov 2015 10:09:37 -0800
Bryan Vyhmeister <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps this is related to something else but on my 2013 MacBook Air
> with an OpenBSD-only EFI install, boot fails to attempt booting from
> hd0a:/bsd but instead tries fd0a:/bsd several times. I tried adding
> /etc/boot.conf with boot hd0a:/bsd in both sd0i (the EFI boot partition)
> and sd0a.

I fixed the problem with the booted device on cvs repository.
Thank for your report.

> Is this something unique to Apple hardware or is this something that
> all (U)EFI installs have trouble with?

efiboot had used a protocol of UEFI which macbook doesn't support.

--yasuoka

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (U)EFI install and boot not finding hd0a:/bsd

Bryan Vyhmeister-3
On Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 03:23 AM, YASUOKA Masahiko wrote:
> I fixed the problem with the booted device on cvs repository.
> Thank for your report.
>
> > Is this something unique to Apple hardware or is this something that
> > all (U)EFI installs have trouble with?
>
> efiboot had used a protocol of UEFI which macbook doesn't support.

Wonderful! I rebuilt my BOOTX64.EFI and installed it to the EFI boot
partition and the MacBook Air finds the kernel perfectly. The EFI boot
no longer shows anything other than hd0 as I would expect. No more fd0
or errors about it. Should a softraid(4) crypto root also work fine with
EFI boot? Thank you so much!

Bryan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (U)EFI install and boot not finding hd0a:/bsd

YASUOKA Masahiko-3
On Tue, 03 Nov 2015 10:14:08 -0800
Bryan Vyhmeister <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 03:23 AM, YASUOKA Masahiko wrote:
>> I fixed the problem with the booted device on cvs repository.
>> Thank for your report.
>>
>> > Is this something unique to Apple hardware or is this something that
>> > all (U)EFI installs have trouble with?
>>
>> efiboot had used a protocol of UEFI which macbook doesn't support.
>
> Wonderful! I rebuilt my BOOTX64.EFI and installed it to the EFI boot
> partition and the MacBook Air finds the kernel perfectly. The EFI boot
> no longer shows anything other than hd0 as I would expect. No more fd0
> or errors about it. Should a softraid(4) crypto root also work fine with
> EFI boot? Thank you so much!

Yes, softraid will work with efiboot.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (U)EFI install and boot not finding hd0a:/bsd

Bryan Vyhmeister-3
On Tue, Nov 3, 2015, at 10:34 AM, YASUOKA Masahiko wrote:
> > Wonderful! I rebuilt my BOOTX64.EFI and installed it to the EFI boot
> > partition and the MacBook Air finds the kernel perfectly. The EFI boot
> > no longer shows anything other than hd0 as I would expect. No more fd0
> > or errors about it. Should a softraid(4) crypto root also work fine with
> > EFI boot? Thank you so much!
>
> Yes, softraid will work with efiboot.

Excellent! Thank you very much.

Bryan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (U)EFI install and boot not finding hd0a:/bsd

Stefan Sperling-5
In reply to this post by Bryan Vyhmeister-3
On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 10:14:08AM -0800, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
> Should a softraid(4) crypto root also work fine with EFI boot?

Yes. It should work just the same way as with MBR boot.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (U)EFI install and boot not finding hd0a:/bsd

Sevan / Venture37-2
In reply to this post by Bryan Vyhmeister-3
It's still not possible to boot miniroot58.fs on a mid-2012
MacBookAir5,1, the miniroot58.fs I tried is dated 06-Nov-2015 13:24
from ftp.fr.openbsd.org.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTJ9GCcUcAAtDvh.jpg


Sevan / Venture37

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (U)EFI install and boot not finding hd0a:/bsd

Joerg Jung
> On 06 Nov 2015, at 21:39, Sevan / Venture37 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's still not possible to boot miniroot58.fs on a mid-2012
> MacBookAir5,1, the miniroot58.fs I tried is dated 06-Nov-2015 13:24
> from ftp.fr.openbsd.org.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTJ9GCcUcAAtDvh.jpg

Yes, this is a known problem.
See https://github.com/yasuoka/openbsd-uefi/issues/2
Try latest install58.fs and boot the uncompressed bsd.rd.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (U)EFI install and boot not finding hd0a:/bsd

Sevan / Venture37-2
On 6 November 2015 at 22:27, Joerg Jung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, this is a known problem.
> See https://github.com/yasuoka/openbsd-uefi/issues/2
> Try latest install58.fs and boot the uncompressed bsd.rd.

Thanks, switched to install58.fs and just booted, it defaulted to
bsd.rd kernel & booted without issue. Without needing any manual
intervention.


Sevan / Venture37