TrueType fonts for Asian writing systems?

TrueType fonts for Asian writing systems?

Christian Weisgerber
Do we have any users from the large continent of Asia who care about the
fonts OpenBSD's X11 ships with by default?

Now that DejaVu covers European alphabets so well, I can't help but
notice that we still seem to be limited to bit-mapped fonts for
Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Devanagari.  I suspect they look
crappy, too.  We also have no fonts at all for a bunch of major
Indic languages.

Take a look at
http://www.wikipedia.org/
in Firefox to see what I mean.

Are there any people familiar with the affected languages who can
point us to free and standard scalable fonts?

Re: TrueType fonts for Asian writing systems?

David Coppa
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 10:56 PM, Christian Weisgerber
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do we have any users from the large continent of Asia who care about the
> fonts OpenBSD's X11 ships with by default?
>
> Now that DejaVu covers European alphabets so well, I can't help but
> notice that we still seem to be limited to bit-mapped fonts for
> Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Devanagari.  I suspect they look
> crappy, too.  We also have no fonts at all for a bunch of major
> Indic languages.
>
> Take a look at
> http://www.wikipedia.org/
> in Firefox to see what I mean.
>
> Are there any people familiar with the affected languages who can
> point us to free and standard scalable fonts?

Hi,

What about these?

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/CJKUnifonts

http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Japanese.html