Trascend Solid State Disk 1Gbyte

Marco Spiga-2

Hello!

Do you have notice, howto work fine the device in Subject?

Thanks.

Marco

Re: Trascend Solid State Disk 1Gbyte

Matthew Dempsky-3

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#flashmem

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 01:21:54AM -0700, Matthew Dempsky wrote:

> Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 01:21:54 -0700
> From: Matthew Dempsky <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Trascend Solid State Disk 1Gbyte
> To: Marco <[hidden email]>
> Cc: OpenBSD ports <[hidden email]>
>
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 11:58 PM, Marco <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  Do you have notice, howto work fine the device in Subject?
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#flashmem

Ok Matthew, but I have not problem with my usbpen.
I have an ata ssd hard disk, and it work very slow.....
Is there a simple setup way to work it?

I am sorry for my bad English!!

Bye

Re: Trascend Solid State Disk 1Gbyte

Emilio Perea
On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 10:43:51AM +0200, Marco wrote:
> I have an ata ssd hard disk, and it work very slow.....
> Is there a simple setup way to work it?

A dmesg might help.  I have a Soekris 4801 which slowed down to a crawl
when changing from an old CF card to a newer (allegedly much faster)
one.  It turned out that OpenBSD was recognizing that the card would
respond to DMA commands and tried to use them.  Since my Soekris was
made before CF cards supported DMA, it was not wired to accept DMA
command so there were many disk errors.  In order to use it I had to
disable DMA support in the kernel.

You may have a similar problem, but there is not enough information in
your message to tell.  In any case it would not be a ports problem. :-)

> I am sorry for my bad English!!

Don't let it bother you.  Bad English is almost as common as bad Logic,
but not as dangerous.

Re: Trascend Solid State Disk 1Gbyte

Marco Spiga-2
Thanks Emilio.

But, how I can do it?

By chance using the command sysctl?
And my other ata hard disk work properly?

Is there a mailing list for openbsd where we can discuss these issues?

In any case, thanks for your availability.

Bye

Marco

2008/4/14, Emilio Perea <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 10:43:51AM +0200, Marco wrote:
> > I have an ata ssd hard disk, and it work very slow.....
> > Is there a simple setup way to work it?
>

> A dmesg might help.  I have a Soekris 4801 which slowed down to a crawl
> when changing from an old CF card to a newer (allegedly much faster)
> one.  It turned out that OpenBSD was recognizing that the card would
> respond to DMA commands and tried to use them.  Since my Soekris was
> made before CF cards supported DMA, it was not wired to accept DMA
> command so there were many disk errors.  In order to use it I had to
> disable DMA support in the kernel.
>
> You may have a similar problem, but there is not enough information in
> your message to tell.  In any case it would not be a ports problem. :-)
>

> > I am sorry for my bad English!!
>

> Don't let it bother you.  Bad English is almost as common as bad Logic,
> but not as dangerous.

Re: Trascend Solid State Disk 1Gbyte

Stuart Henderson
On 2008/04/16 10:18, Marco wrote:
> But, how I can do it?
> By chance using the command sysctl?

Not using sysctl. You need to send a dmesg if you want anyone
to give you correct advice.

> Is there a mailing list for openbsd where we can discuss these issues?

You're writing to one, but it's the wrong one.
Please see http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:18:26AM +0200, Marco wrote:
> But, how I can do it?

It was Stuart Henderson, who last replied to your post, who showed me
how to do it.  I suspect he would also have told you if you had provided
enough information to diagnose the problem.

> Is there a mailing list for openbsd where we can discuss these issues?

Try [hidden email], but please include a dmesg so that people can tell
what you have.

Emilio

Re: Trascend Solid State Disk 1Gbyte

Marco Spiga-2