Time for OBSD everywhere?

Tomas Bodzar-2

Re: Time for OBSD everywhere?

Tim Post-3
On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 10:21 +0100, Tomas Bodzar wrote:
> http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/05/air-force-mater.html

That reminds me of a story where investigators were stumped for 3 months
trying to get data off a 1541 5.25" drive connected to a Commodore 64. I
wish I could find the link to it.

I'm not so worried about that particular project (for obvious reasons),
but I have been putting together a plan to move anything that talks to
the world to OBSD.

Cheers,
--Tim

Monkey + Typewriter = Echoreply ( http://echoreply.us )

Re: Time for OBSD everywhere?

Lévai, Dániel
On 2008. May 16. 11:59:33 Tim Post wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 10:21 +0100, Tomas Bodzar wrote:
> > http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/05/air-force-mater.html
>
> That reminds me of a story where investigators were stumped for 3
> months trying to get data off a 1541 5.25" drive connected to a
> Commodore 64. I wish I could find the link to it.
>
> I'm not so worried about that particular project (for obvious
> reasons), but I have been putting together a plan to move anything
> that talks to the world to OBSD.

Then, when everyone will use OpenBSD, and have calmed down, the devs
will unhide a super-secret secretly hidden remote hole, and the
computers will turn into one big playground for the OpenBSD folks ;)

(just fooling around.. of course)...

Daniel

--
LEVAI Daniel
PGP key ID = 0x4AC0A4B1
Key fingerprint = D037 03B9 C12D D338 4412  2D83 1373 917A 4AC0 A4B1

Re: Time for OBSD everywhere?

michael enoma aghayere
>  > I'm not so worried about that particular project (for obvious
>  > reasons), but I have been putting together a plan to move anything
>  > that talks to the world to OBSD.
>  >
>

> Then, when everyone will use OpenBSD, and have calmed down, the devs
>  will unhide a super-secret secretly hidden remote hole, and the
>  computers will turn into one big playground for the OpenBSD folks ;)

Don't you mean:
# attrib -h SuperSecretSecretlyHiddenRemoteHole

--
~michael
www.BSDqed.com

Re: Time for OBSD everywhere?

Travers Buda-2
* L?VAI D?niel <[hidden email]> [2008-05-16 13:40:13]:

> On 2008. May 16. 11:59:33 Tim Post wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 10:21 +0100, Tomas Bodzar wrote:
> > > http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/05/air-force-mater.html
> >
> > That reminds me of a story where investigators were stumped for 3
> > months trying to get data off a 1541 5.25" drive connected to a
> > Commodore 64. I wish I could find the link to it.
> >
> > I'm not so worried about that particular project (for obvious
> > reasons), but I have been putting together a plan to move anything
> > that talks to the world to OBSD.
> >

> Then, when everyone will use OpenBSD, and have calmed down, the devs
> will unhide a super-secret secretly hidden remote hole, and the
> computers will turn into one big playground for the OpenBSD folks ;)
>
> (just fooling around.. of course)...
>
> Daniel
>
> --
> LEVAI Daniel
> PGP key ID = 0x4AC0A4B1
> Key fingerprint = D037 03B9 C12D D338 4412  2D83 1373 917A 4AC0 A4B1

Well, in a way, diversity of operating systems is a good thing in
terms of security.  However, if the diverse population is made up
of buggy crap, then you see less of a benefit.  The worst case
scenario is when you have a single operating system having a majority,
and being crappy.

Travers Buda

Re: Time for OBSD everywhere?

Daniel Ouellet
Travers Buda wrote:
> Well, in a way, diversity of operating systems is a good thing in
> terms of security.  However, if the diverse population is made up
> of buggy crap, then you see less of a benefit.  The worst case
> scenario is when you have a single operating system having a majority,
> and being crappy.

Well, I can proudly say that I do own two business and one is 100%
OpenBSD only now for 10 years, and the second one only have 8 Solaris
servers left in it that sadly I can't switch to OpenBSD yet. The last
Microsoft server alive was kill a few years back, NT4.0 and we had a
party then. Never look back and sure never regret it either.

And we keep increasing the usage of OpenBSD as time allow us too and all
servers were replaced. Now it's slowly time for Cisco routers where
possible.

And any guys that is working and higher for the business is required to
know OpenBSD and if not, then is given a few weeks to learns and show
future success on using and maintaining it and if not, then excuse from
the position in favor of a more successful one.

I have to say that I would be curious to know how successful it is
included in various business and to what level as well.

I know at time it was said that OpenBSD is not for everything, but so
far, I still haven't find anything that I need that OpenBSD can't shine
doing.

Re: Time for OBSD everywhere?

chefren
Hello Daniel,

On 5/16/08 8:54 PM, Daniel Ouellet wrote:

> I know at time it was said that OpenBSD is not for everything, but so
> far, I still haven't find anything that I need that OpenBSD can't shine
> doing.

Not to challenge you or anyone else personally: What's the best program
to look at Microsoft Powerpoint presentations? I now and the receive
them, K presenter crashes on them, and still have to forward them to a Mac.

+++chefren

Re: Time for OBSD everywhere?

Rico Secada
On Fri, 16 May 2008 22:35:00 +0200
chefren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know at time it was said that OpenBSD is not for everything, but
> so far, I still haven't find anything that I need that OpenBSD
> can't shine doing.

I can almost second that except for the few cases in which we really
need to update stuff without fuzz, then we use Debian.

Re: Time for OBSD everywhere?

Daniel Ouellet
Rico Secada wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2008 22:35:00 +0200
> chefren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I know at time it was said that OpenBSD is not for everything, but
>> so far, I still haven't find anything that I need that OpenBSD
>> can't shine doing.
>
> I can almost second that except for the few cases in which we really
> need to update stuff without fuzz, then we use Debian.

All I need and use are in packages and using current and the pkg_add to
updates couldn't be easier and faster. I find it a lots faster and
easier then app_get from Debian, but that's the beauty of it all. You
choose what you feel is right for you.

And in some cases, release is just find and it's not liek I need the
latest all the time for each packages either. A properly 6 months fresh
reinstall on all always provides best results and fix what ever bugs in
between that may happened.

I still haven't switch some desktop to OpenBSD yet because of some
stupid Microsoft customers requirements, but as far as servers are
concern, hell OpenBSD beat all for me anyway. >140 servers and keep
counting. I couldn't sleep better.

And I should also say for the desktop there is a little bit of slacking
on my part too, to switch to it. I still haven't find an easy way to
setup window manager as easy as doing servers. but most likely may be my
lack of spending time to learn it as well too.

Re: Time for OBSD everywhere?

Floor Terra
On Fri, 16 May 2008, chefren wrote:

> Hello Daniel,
>
> On 5/16/08 8:54 PM, Daniel Ouellet wrote:
>
>> I know at time it was said that OpenBSD is not for everything, but so far,
>> I still haven't find anything that I need that OpenBSD can't shine doing.
>
> Not to challenge you or anyone else personally: What's the best program to
> look at Microsoft Powerpoint presentations? I now and the receive them, K
> presenter crashes on them, and still have to forward them to a Mac.
>
> +++chefren

If you just need to look at them and don't mind if the slides are not
perfect, Open Office and Google docs will do just fine.

Floor

--
Floor Terra <[hidden email]>
www: http://brobding.mine.nu/
Netiquette Guidelines: http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.html

Re: Time for OBSD everywhere?

Paul de Weerd
On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 10:35:00PM +0200, chefren wrote:

> Hello Daniel,
>
> On 5/16/08 8:54 PM, Daniel Ouellet wrote:
>
>> I know at time it was said that OpenBSD is not for everything, but so far,
>> I still haven't find anything that I need that OpenBSD can't shine doing.
>
> Not to challenge you or anyone else personally: What's the best program to
> look at Microsoft Powerpoint presentations? I now and the receive them, K
> presenter crashes on them, and still have to forward them to a Mac.

Depending on the origin and contents of the presentation you can :

        1) Tell the originator to stop sending you MS docs
        2) Load them in Google Docs (which should convert them)
        3) Try OO.org conversion
        4) Special case it
            4a) Use your mac
            4b) Use Windows in a QEMU image
            4c) Use a not-connected windows machine + USB drive

Option 1) can be very effective, especially with the growing awareness
amongst Windows users (in corp- and govtland) of non-Windows users in
the rest of the world. It just depends. Is your current solution
(forwarding to your Mac) something you want to get rid of ?

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/

Re: Time for OBSD everywhere?

Rico Secada
On Fri, 16 May 2008 17:48:47 -0400
Daniel Ouellet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rico Secada wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 May 2008 22:35:00 +0200
> > chefren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I know at time it was said that OpenBSD is not for everything, but
> >> so far, I still haven't find anything that I need that OpenBSD
> >> can't shine doing.
> >
> > I can almost second that except for the few cases in which we really
> > need to update stuff without fuzz, then we use Debian.
>
> All I need and use are in packages and using current and the pkg_add
> to updates couldn't be easier and faster. I find it a lots faster and
> easier then app_get from Debian, but that's the beauty of it all. You
> choose what you feel is right for you.

Yes :-) but I was mainly talking about the basesystem and kernel. About
it being more easy and more fast than apt-get from Debian, I have yet
to witness that :-)

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 23:26 +0200, Rico Secada wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2008 22:35:00 +0200
> chefren <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I know at time it was said that OpenBSD is not for everything, but
> > so far, I still haven't find anything that I need that OpenBSD
> > can't shine doing.
>
> I can almost second that except for the few cases in which we really
> need to update stuff without fuzz, then we use Debian.

I'm probably going to keep desktops / laptops Debian(ish). I've been
working with it for years, I'm extremely used to it and I need to remain
productive.

My plan is to replace most servers with OBSD while really refining
skills at writing stuff to be portable.

Once I get that down, I'm going to start replacing firewalls, load
balancers and other appliances with OBSD.

Its probably going to take a year, but I think the result will be a nice
example of putting each OS to its best use.

Monkey + Typewriter = Echoreply ( http://echoreply.us )

Re: Time for OBSD everywhere?

Lars D. Noodén
Paul de Weerd wrote:
[snip]
> Depending on the origin and contents of the presentation you can :
>
> 1) Tell the originator to stop sending you MS docs

In the long run, this is the most advantageous.  PDF/A is an option for
read-only.  For those stuck on legacy applications and a need document
editable, there is a plug-in from Sun to allow use of standard formats:
        http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/get.jsp

There is also a viewer which works, but could use improvement:
        http://opendocumentfellowship.com/odfviewer

If the viewer is something someone here would like to get paid to take
further, let me know off list.

Regards,
-Lars