Thunderbird stability/usability?

Xavier Mertens
hi *,

A few days ago, my notebook disk died... Good opportunity to reinstall a
fresh 3.9-GENERIC. My X environment is running fine (xfce4) but
Thunderbird gives me some headaches... (mozilla-thunderbird-1.5.0.4.tgz)

From time to time, when reading RSS feeds or HTML mails (Grrr), it just
closes! (no crash, no core produced, no error). Another annoying
behaviour: the GUI!
Some windows are opened with a "small size" or without content!?
(like password windows)

Is that a problem related to my X environment? To Thunderbird?

Regards,
Xavier
Secret hacker rule #11: hackers read manuals.

Re: Thunderbird stability/usability?

Michael Lechtermann
I had the same problem with 3.9, now I am running 4.0-beta with the
latest thunderbird package and I don't have that problem anymore.

But it still hangs (folder don't get refreshed anymore) from time to
time when running for several hours.

Re: Thunderbird stability/usability?

Gabriel George POPA
            Hello,

   I'm using Mozilla Suite 1.7.12 on OpenBSD 3.8-GENERIC. Yes, indeed,
from time to time it just closes. It happens with both the browser and
the mail
reader. Indeed, no core, no crash, it's the same problem. I've heard a
lot of
people having this problem with different versions of Mozilla Thunderbird
and Mozilla Firefox on several versions of OpenBSD. I had the same problem
with Mozilla Suite 1.7.x (I prefer using Mozilla Suite instead of using
Firefox &
Thunderbird) on OpenBSD 3.8-GENERIC too. The same problem with Mozilla
Suite 1.7.12 on OpenBSD 3.8 patched (upgraded with patches 001 to 009).
   If you examine my messages from this list you can notice that several
months ago I raised a similar problem regarding Mozilla products . The
answer was that the browser experiences heavy problems when running
JavaScripts (try staying longer on sites like Yahoo! and see what happens)
and when examining sites with a lot of pictures. What the members of the
OpenBSD community were saying then holds now also. It is said that
Mozilla is quite inconsistent and that there are some old patches (written
years ago) that would solve the problem if applied, but they were not
inserted
in the mainstream Mozilla product line.
   What's more confusing is the fact that such problems are exhibited by
Mozilla
only on some systems (I think that mainly on BSD systems). So there is a
problem with Mozilla (not with the OS) and no one there wants to see it
fixed (that's
what I've heard).
   Answer: your X is configured properly and there's no problem with X11 or
with the OS.

Yours in BSDness,

Gabriel George POPA