Thunderbird default DoH

Stephane HUC "PengouinBSD"
Hi,

In 2019/09/08, about Firefox and DoH by default, Otto Moerbeek suggested to add the string ' network.trr.mode=5' into file 'all-openbsd.js'.

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=156794162705366&w=2

Wouldn't it be interesting to do the same for Thunderbird, knowing that this option can be enabled by default?

Just for the example, I attach a diff based on stable; if it's OK, I can transmit a diff, based on current.
Yes or no?

thunderbird.txt (548 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Thunderbird default DoH

Landry Breuil-5
On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 06:06:35PM +0100, Stéphane HUC wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In 2019/09/08, about Firefox and DoH by default, Otto Moerbeek suggested to add the string ' network.trr.mode=5' into file 'all-openbsd.js'.
>
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=156794162705366&w=2
>
> Wouldn't it be interesting to do the same for Thunderbird, knowing that this option can be enabled by default?
>
> Just for the example, I attach a diff based on stable; if it's OK, I can transmit a diff, based on current.
> Yes or no?

Do you have any evidence that thunderbird actually uses DoH, or you're
just cargoculting things here ? Afaik, DoH is only enabled via
on-the-fly configuration done remotely by mozilla for firefox, and i
doubt the same processes are used for thunderbird, which isnt handled by
mozilla anymore.

Landry

Re: Thunderbird default DoH

Stephane HUC "PengouinBSD"
On 2019-11-07 17:17, Landry Breuil wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 06:06:35PM +0100, Stéphane HUC wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In 2019/09/08, about Firefox and DoH by default, Otto Moerbeek
>> suggested to add the string ' network.trr.mode=5' into file
>> 'all-openbsd.js'.
>>
>> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=156794162705366&w=2
>>
>> Wouldn't it be interesting to do the same for Thunderbird, knowing
>> that this option can be enabled by default?
>>
>> Just for the example, I attach a diff based on stable; if it's OK, I
>> can transmit a diff, based on current.
>> Yes or no?
>
> Do you have any evidence that thunderbird actually uses DoH, or you're
> just cargoculting things here ? Afaik, DoH is only enabled via
> on-the-fly configuration done remotely by mozilla for firefox, and i
> doubt the same processes are used for thunderbird, which isnt handled
> by
> mozilla anymore.
>
> Landry

@Landry:
TL;DR: Open Thunderbird  and see!
As, explain on Daemonforum, yes, it's now possible:
http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?p=67844#post67844

@all:
Yes, it's possible to configure DoH into Thunderbird (v68.1) on OpenBSD
6.6, a minima with 'about:config', and set both strings
'network.trr.mode' and 'network.trr.uri'.
Into GUI, go to the Preferences > Advanced > Connections settings,
etc...

~ " Fully Basic System Distinguish Life! " ~ " Libre as a BSD " +=<<<
----
<me>Stephane HUC as PengouinBSD or CIOTBSD</me>
<mail>[hidden email]</mail>

Re: Thunderbird default DoH

Landry Breuil-5
On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 06:25:33PM +0000, Stéphane HUC - PengouinBSD wrote:

> On 2019-11-07 17:17, Landry Breuil wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 06:06:35PM +0100, Stéphane HUC wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > In 2019/09/08, about Firefox and DoH by default, Otto Moerbeek
> > > suggested to add the string ' network.trr.mode=5' into file
> > > 'all-openbsd.js'.
> > >
> > > https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=156794162705366&w=2
> > >
> > > Wouldn't it be interesting to do the same for Thunderbird, knowing
> > > that this option can be enabled by default?
> > >
> > > Just for the example, I attach a diff based on stable; if it's OK, I
> > > can transmit a diff, based on current.
> > > Yes or no?
> >
> > Do you have any evidence that thunderbird actually uses DoH, or you're
> > just cargoculting things here ? Afaik, DoH is only enabled via
> > on-the-fly configuration done remotely by mozilla for firefox, and i
> > doubt the same processes are used for thunderbird, which isnt handled by
> > mozilla anymore.
> >
> > Landry
>
> @Landry:
> TL;DR: Open Thunderbird  and see!
> As, explain on Daemonforum, yes, it's now possible:
> http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?p=67844#post67844
>
> @all:
> Yes, it's possible to configure DoH into Thunderbird (v68.1) on OpenBSD 6.6,
> a minima with 'about:config', and set both strings 'network.trr.mode' and
> 'network.trr.uri'.
> Into GUI, go to the Preferences > Advanced > Connections settings, etc...

Well yes it's possible since the codebase is shared, i never questioned
that.

My question was more about 'will thunderbird upstream try to experiment
enabling it for subsets of users like firefox does' - in that case
force-disabling it might make sense, but if thunderbird upstream has no
such plans (and, to my knowledge, this is the case) then i dont see the
point.

Landry

Re: Thunderbird default DoH

Theo de Raadt-2
Landry Breuil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 06:25:33PM +0000, Stéphane HUC - PengouinBSD wrote:

> > > Do you have any evidence that thunderbird actually uses DoH, or you're
> > > just cargoculting things here ? Afaik, DoH is only enabled via
> > > on-the-fly configuration done remotely by mozilla for firefox, and i
> > > doubt the same processes are used for thunderbird, which isnt handled by
> > > mozilla anymore.
> > >
> > > Landry
> >
> > @Landry:
> > TL;DR: Open Thunderbird  and see!
> > As, explain on Daemonforum, yes, it's now possible:
> > http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?p=67844#post67844
> >
> > @all:
> > Yes, it's possible to configure DoH into Thunderbird (v68.1) on OpenBSD 6.6,
> > a minima with 'about:config', and set both strings 'network.trr.mode' and
> > 'network.trr.uri'.
> > Into GUI, go to the Preferences > Advanced > Connections settings, etc...
>
> Well yes it's possible since the codebase is shared, i never questioned
> that.
>
> My question was more about 'will thunderbird upstream try to experiment
> enabling it for subsets of users like firefox does' - in that case
> force-disabling it might make sense, but if thunderbird upstream has no
> such plans (and, to my knowledge, this is the case) then i dont see the
> point.

But maybe they do, and you don't know, and it will slide in with a future
diff you won't even see

So the proposal makes sense to me.