Thinkpad spyware

Shaun Reiger
In light of what Lenovo has been doing to its customers by installing
spyware like superfish and now installing crapware using Microsoft's
Windows Platform Binary Table at the BIOS level. Do people still plan on
purchasing laptops from them going forward. If so whats your reasoning
behind this. Is anyone moving to other PC manufactures now.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/12/lenovo_firmware_nasty/

--
Shaun

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum,
iudicium difficile" - Hippocrates (c. 400BC)

Re: Thinkpad spyware

Denis Fondras
> In light of what Lenovo has been doing to its customers by installing
> spyware like superfish and now installing crapware using Microsoft's
> Windows Platform Binary Table at the BIOS level. Do people still plan on
> purchasing laptops from them going forward. If so whats your reasoning
> behind this. Is anyone moving to other PC manufactures now.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/12/lenovo_firmware_nasty/

Your subject is misleading, Think* series are not concerned (yet) with the
crapware.
I have a ThinkPad because it is a good machine for my usage. I might buy another
one if I can't find a better deal.

(and in the end, this topic has really few to do with OpenBSD)

Re: Thinkpad spyware

Gene-46
Why should OpenBSD users be concerned?  Doesn't this injection method only
work when the running OS is Windows?

Or are you thinking it would be a matter of principle?

-Gene

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Shaun Reiger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In light of what Lenovo has been doing to its customers by installing
> spyware like superfish and now installing crapware using Microsoft's
> Windows Platform Binary Table at the BIOS level. Do people still plan on
> purchasing laptops from them going forward. If so whats your reasoning
> behind this. Is anyone moving to other PC manufactures now.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/12/lenovo_firmware_nasty/
>

> --
> Shaun
>
> "Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum,
> iudicium difficile" - Hippocrates (c. 400BC)

Re: Thinkpad spyware

L.R. D.S.
This is happening for a while now in industry, and even openbsd developers
knowing this, they still suggest Lenovo hardware:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=143671215412596&w=2

I can't understand you guys. There projects running trying to develop Open
Hardware, and I see no such support for their product (Freescale, for example).
On lyrics 3.7 you say "Want to help us? Avoid Intel [and] Broadcom [...] chipsets"
Both used in lenovo hardware. The paper "/brhard2007/mgp00027" on "WWW" say:
"Help us when we attack a specific vendor"... so what?

> Why should OpenBSD users be concerned?  Doesn't this injection method only
> work when the running OS is Windows?

This may be a concern because industry are slowly and silently trying to
adopt locked secure boot options in Windows:
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/03/20/2039251/oems-allowed-to-lock-secure-boot-in-windows-10-computers

Remember me the methaphor "boiling frog".

Re: Thinkpad spyware

lists-2
> I can't understand you guys.

Stating your opinion here is, well... your opinion.

As a suggestion, you can write a nice hardware buyer guide for OpenBSD
on your own web space and see how this goes.

Now, consider keeping it up to date, and support feedback to make it
factually correct, for as long as you use the same hardware.

Then see what difference it makes to web sites of actual OpenBSD
developers and electronics engineers.

> This is happening for a while now in industry,

If you want to react to this, do something about it at the right place
to complain, where your voice counts.

Also don't forget your position when you vote with your wallet and feet.

Re: Thinkpad spyware

Артур Истомин
On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 06:20:10AM +0300, [hidden email] wrote:
> > This is happening for a while now in industry,
>
> If you want to react to this, do something about it at the right place
> to complain, where your voice counts.
>
> Also don't forget your position when you vote with your wallet and feet.

This is absolute BS. You brainwashed by western imperialist propaganda
created by Rockefellers, Rothschilds, B. Gates III and other such people.
Neither your voice, not your wallet is not worth a damn. Stop to spread
this crap.

Re: Thinkpad spyware

Karel Gardas
On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 5:41 PM, Артур Истомин <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 06:20:10AM +0300, [hidden email] wrote:
>> > This is happening for a while now in industry,
>>
>> If you want to react to this, do something about it at the right place
>> to complain, where your voice counts.
>>
>> Also don't forget your position when you vote with your wallet and feet.
>
> This is absolute BS. You brainwashed by western imperialist propaganda
> created by Rockefellers, Rothschilds, B. Gates III and other such people.
> Neither your voice, not your wallet is not worth a damn. Stop to spread
> this crap.

And a man from Russia will teach us how to behave as a truly free man
in this world. Sweet!

To OP, yes, I still like to purchase thinkpads although they are going
down quality wise, they are still among the best in this business
(probably others going down faster?). The problem with alternative
hardware is price/performance ratio unfortunately. Anyway, if you do
have your secret option just let it know in this discussion...
Personally speaking I know only those brands with trackpoints
provided: lenovo, fujitsu, hp, toshiba. The notebook without
trackpoint (or equivalent fascility) does not exists for me...

Re: Thinkpad spyware

lists-3
On 8/27/2015 11:54 AM, Karel Gardas wrote:
> To OP, yes, I still like to purchase thinkpads although they are going
> down quality wise, they are still among the best in this business
> (probably others going down faster?). The problem with alternative
> hardware is price/performance ratio unfortunately. Anyway, if you do
> have your secret option just let it know in this discussion...
> Personally speaking I know only those brands with trackpoints
> provided: lenovo, fujitsu, hp, toshiba. The notebook without
> trackpoint (or equivalent fascility) does not exists for me...

Some Dell Latitude's come with trackpoints.

Re: Thinkpad spyware

Erling Westenvik-2
On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 08:41:13PM +0500, ?????????? ?????????????? wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 06:20:10AM +0300, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > This is happening for a while now in industry,
> >
> > If you want to react to this, do something about it at the right place
> > to complain, where your voice counts.
> >
> > Also don't forget your position when you vote with your wallet and feet.
>
> This is absolute BS. You brainwashed by western imperialist propaganda
> created by Rockefellers, Rothschilds, B. Gates III and other such people.
> Neither your voice, not your wallet is not worth a damn. Stop to spread
> this crap.

Of course. The Jews...

Guess we have to live with this until some Russian comes up with a
secure Basic Putin/Putout System...

Re: Thinkpad spyware

Артур Истомин
On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 06:54:50PM +0200, Karel Gardas wrote:

> >> If you want to react to this, do something about it at the right place
> >> to complain, where your voice counts.
> >>
> >> Also don't forget your position when you vote with your wallet and feet.
> >
> > This is absolute BS. You brainwashed by western imperialist propaganda
> > created by Rockefellers, Rothschilds, B. Gates III and other such people.
> > Neither your voice, not your wallet is not worth a damn. Stop to spread
> > this crap.
>
> And a man from Russia will teach us how to behave as a truly free man
> in this world. Sweet!

Haha, are you serious?! )) What about L.Tolstoy, A.Chekhov. Hey, boy, you
ever really idiot or whatever you know about the Russia - two names - Stalin
and Putin.

Re: Thinkpad spyware

Peter Hessler
Please keep this off list.

Re: Thinkpad spyware

Артур Истомин
On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 07:57:20PM +0200, Erling Westenvik wrote:

> > > If you want to react to this, do something about it at the right place
> > > to complain, where your voice counts.
> > >
> > > Also don't forget your position when you vote with your wallet and feet.
> >
> > This is absolute BS. You brainwashed by western imperialist propaganda
> > created by Rockefellers, Rothschilds, B. Gates III and other such people.
> > Neither your voice, not your wallet is not worth a damn. Stop to spread
> > this crap.
>
> Of course. The Jews...

From above names only Rothschilds are Jews.. I don't understand your problems
with Jews.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 5:59 PM, Shaun Reiger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In light of what Lenovo has been doing to its customers by installing
> spyware like superfish and now installing crapware using Microsoft's
> Windows Platform Binary Table at the BIOS level. Do people still plan on
> purchasing laptops from them going forward. If so whats your reasoning
> behind this. Is anyone moving to other PC manufactures now.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/12/lenovo_firmware_nasty/

"Think-branded PCs did not include the LSE, we're told." -- that's on
your URL. I assume this also applies to thinkpads...

Re: Thinkpad spyware

Peter Hessler
Keep this off list.

Re: Thinkpad spyware

acampbell
On 27 Aug 2015, Karel Gardas wrote:
[snip]

> To OP, yes, I still like to purchase thinkpads although they are going
> down quality wise, they are still among the best in this business
> (probably others going down faster?). The problem with alternative
> hardware is price/performance ratio unfortunately. Anyway, if you do
> have your secret option just let it know in this discussion...
> Personally speaking I know only those brands with trackpoints
> provided: lenovo, fujitsu, hp, toshiba. The notebook without
> trackpoint (or equivalent fascility) does not exists for me...

PArtly for this reason and also for the build quality and keyboard, I've
bought up several Thinkpad T60s on Ebay.

According to the pointing stick article on Google, Thinkpads have better
technology in this respect owing to having patented their method. I
don't know if that is true.

Anthony Campbell http://www.acampbell.uk

Re: Thinkpad spyware

Chris Cappuccio
?????????? ?????????????? [[hidden email]] wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 06:20:10AM +0300, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > This is happening for a while now in industry,
> >
> > If you want to react to this, do something about it at the right place
> > to complain, where your voice counts.
> >
> > Also don't forget your position when you vote with your wallet and feet.
>
> This is absolute BS. You brainwashed by western imperialist propaganda
> created by Rockefellers, Rothschilds, B. Gates III and other such people.
> Neither your voice, not your wallet is not worth a damn. Stop to spread
> this crap.

I think you've missed the obvious. There are Islamic State snipers positioned
in Calgary, ready to take out Theo de Raadt should he stop with this insidious
plan of propping up the Rockefellers, Rothschilds and B. Gates III with his
unabashed promotion of the Lenovo Thnkpad and "vmm" x86 virtualization.
Don't wake the beast!! Nothing will happen to Theo as long as Thinkpads and
vmm continue to be promoted in the OpenBSD community.

It's interesting to note, the snipers are secretly employed by Recep Tayyip
Ergodan, who you will notice has "RT" as the first two initials of his name.
In fact the government of Turkey is secretly sponsored by "Russia Today",
the brainchild of glorious leader Putin, who in turn is funded by the
Rockefellers, Rothschilds and B. Gates III, much the same as the people who
are after Theo to continue his "thought leadership" in the area of x86
virtualization and promotion of the Lenovo Thinkpad brand.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Chris