Thinkpad X1 5th Gen Microphone

Edd Barrett-3
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has ever gotten a microphone working with the
built-in azalia chipset of a Thinkpad X1 5th gen (either the internal
mic, or a headset)? I've never managed to get it working.

Default mixerctl settings:

```
inputs.dac-0:1_mute=off
inputs.dac-0:1=198,198
inputs.dac-2:3_mute=off
inputs.dac-2:3=198,198
inputs.beep=108
record.adc-2:3_source=mic
record.adc-2:3_mute=off
record.adc-2:3=126,126
record.adc-0:1_source=mic2
record.adc-0:1_mute=off
record.adc-0:1=126,126
outputs.hp_source=dac-0:1
outputs.hp_boost=off
outputs.hp_eapd=on
outputs.spkr_source=dac-2:3
outputs.spkr_eapd=on
inputs.mic=85,85
outputs.mic_dir=input-vr80
inputs.mic2=85,85
outputs.hp_sense=unplugged
outputs.mic_sense=unplugged
outputs.spkr_muters=hp
outputs.master=199,199
outputs.master.mute=off
outputs.master.slaves=dac-0:1,dac-2:3
record.volume=126,126
record.volume.mute=off
record.volume.slaves=adc-2:3,adc-0:1
record.enable=sysctl
```

With default sndiod flags (i.e. the sole sound card is enabled: rsnd/0),
and of course `sysctl kern.audio.record=1`. Microphone enabled in BIOS.

Using the "Ratchov method", `aucat -o - | aucat -i -` should echo
microphone input back at you. This works for me on my other machine
using a USB headset with a dedicated DAC.

I've tried fiddling various knobs: boosting various mic and record
levels, all of the mic_dir enumerations, toggling various mutes in case
they are inverted. Tried it all again with a headset connected. No joy.

So does it work for someone out there, or is there a bug?

Cheers -- stay sane!

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

Re: Thinkpad X1 5th Gen Microphone

Eric Auge
Hello Edd,

All good here, microphone works fine, once I enable recording:
sysctl kern.audio.record=1

HTH,
Cheers,
Eric.

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 11:53 AM Edd Barrett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has ever gotten a microphone working with the
> built-in azalia chipset of a Thinkpad X1 5th gen (either the internal
> mic, or a headset)? I've never managed to get it working.
>
> Default mixerctl settings:
>
> ```
> inputs.dac-0:1_mute=off
> inputs.dac-0:1=198,198
> inputs.dac-2:3_mute=off
> inputs.dac-2:3=198,198
> inputs.beep=108
> record.adc-2:3_source=mic
> record.adc-2:3_mute=off
> record.adc-2:3=126,126
> record.adc-0:1_source=mic2
> record.adc-0:1_mute=off
> record.adc-0:1=126,126
> outputs.hp_source=dac-0:1
> outputs.hp_boost=off
> outputs.hp_eapd=on
> outputs.spkr_source=dac-2:3
> outputs.spkr_eapd=on
> inputs.mic=85,85
> outputs.mic_dir=input-vr80
> inputs.mic2=85,85
> outputs.hp_sense=unplugged
> outputs.mic_sense=unplugged
> outputs.spkr_muters=hp
> outputs.master=199,199
> outputs.master.mute=off
> outputs.master.slaves=dac-0:1,dac-2:3
> record.volume=126,126
> record.volume.mute=off
> record.volume.slaves=adc-2:3,adc-0:1
> record.enable=sysctl
> ```
>
> With default sndiod flags (i.e. the sole sound card is enabled: rsnd/0),
> and of course `sysctl kern.audio.record=1`. Microphone enabled in BIOS.
>
> Using the "Ratchov method", `aucat -o - | aucat -i -` should echo
> microphone input back at you. This works for me on my other machine
> using a USB headset with a dedicated DAC.
>
> I've tried fiddling various knobs: boosting various mic and record
> levels, all of the mic_dir enumerations, toggling various mutes in case
> they are inverted. Tried it all again with a headset connected. No joy.
>
> So does it work for someone out there, or is there a bug?
>
> Cheers -- stay sane!
>
> --
> Best Regards
> Edd Barrett
>
> http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

Re: Thinkpad X1 5th Gen Microphone

Edd Barrett-3
Hi Eric,

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 12:50:36PM +0200, Eric Auge wrote:
> Hello Edd,
>
> All good here, microphone works fine, once I enable recording:
> sysctl kern.audio.record=1

Can you share your output of `mixerctl -a` please so that I can diff it
with mine?

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

Re: Thinkpad X1 5th Gen Microphone

Eric Auge
re,

just to be sure, I tried aucat | aucat .. and mumble both are fine and
I can record  (low volume though as you can see, it was just to answer
your email for 5th gen...)

# mixerctl -a :
inputs.dac-0:1_mute=on
inputs.dac-0:1=204,204
inputs.dac-2:3_mute=on
inputs.dac-2:3=204,204
inputs.beep=108
record.adc-2:3_source=mic
record.adc-2:3_mute=off
record.adc-2:3=126,126
record.adc-0:1_source=mic2
record.adc-0:1_mute=off
record.adc-0:1=126,126
outputs.hp_source=dac-0:1
outputs.hp_boost=off
outputs.hp_eapd=on
outputs.spkr_source=dac-2:3
outputs.spkr_eapd=on
inputs.mic=85,85
outputs.mic_dir=input-vr80
inputs.mic2=85,85
outputs.hp_sense=unplugged
outputs.mic_sense=unplugged
outputs.spkr_muters=hp
outputs.master=206,206
outputs.master.mute=on

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 3:01 PM Edd Barrett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 12:50:36PM +0200, Eric Auge wrote:
> > Hello Edd,
> >
> > All good here, microphone works fine, once I enable recording:
> > sysctl kern.audio.record=1
>
> Can you share your output of `mixerctl -a` please so that I can diff it
> with mine?
>
> --
> Best Regards
> Edd Barrett
>
> http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

Re: Thinkpad X1 5th Gen Microphone

Eric Auge
forgot to ask in my previous mail but did you check your sndioctl settings?
$ sndioctl
input.level=0.494
input.mute=0
output.level=1.000
output.mute=0
app/aucat0.level=1.000
app/aucat1.level=1.000
app/mumble0.level=1.000
app/mumble1.level=1.000

Cheers,
HTH,
Eric.

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 08:22:46PM +0200, Eric Auge wrote:

> forgot to ask in my previous mail but did you check your sndioctl settings?
> $ sndioctl
> input.level=0.494
> input.mute=0
> output.level=1.000
> output.mute=0
> app/aucat0.level=1.000
> app/aucat1.level=1.000
> app/mumble0.level=1.000
> app/mumble1.level=1.000

I had a fiddle with those, but I think mixerctl exposes all of those
(albeit under different names) apart from the app-specific controls.

By the way, in your previous mail you had master muted.

I loaded your exact settings, unmuted master, and still nothing.

I think the next step is to try some linux usb image and see if it works
there. If not, I'm suspecting hardware.

I know that a Lenovo engineer has had this machine open when they
recalled the machine due to some dangerous battery-related something or
other. I wonder if they forgot to plug something in...

Anyway, thanks for your help -- much appreciated.

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 11:31:21PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> IIRC, at least some Thinkpads have BIOS options for "sensitive" stuff
> like a microphone. Tried looking there?

Yeah I did. Mic is enabled.

--
Best Regards