Thank you for the quality of the FAQ and MAN

Thank you for the quality of the FAQ and MAN

jeanfrancois
I just would like to thank the authors of the project documentation for its
real quality.

Re: Thank you for the quality of the FAQ and MAN

Jesus Sanchez
Jean-Frangois SIMON escribis:
> I just would like to thank the authors of the project documentation for its
> real quality.

OpenBSD manpages are the best out there without doubt.
A clear example of how thing should be done.

Re: Thank you for the quality of the FAQ and MAN

Edd Barrett
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:27:00PM +0200, zexel wrote:
> OpenBSD manpages are the best out there without doubt.
> A clear example of how thing should be done.

I will agree with this.

--

Best Regards

Edd Barrett
(Freelance software developer / technical writer / open-source developer)

http://students.dec.bmth.ac.uk/ebarrett

Re: Thank you for the quality of the FAQ and MAN

Francesco Vollero
Il giorno gio, 16/07/2009 alle 22.27 +0200, zexel ha scritto:
> Jean-Frangois SIMON escribis:
> > I just would like to thank the authors of the project documentation for its
> > real quality.
> >

> OpenBSD manpages are the best out there without doubt.
> A clear example of how thing should be done.

I agree. OpenBSD, RTFM Addicted! :)

Re: Thank you for the quality of the FAQ and MAN

Bret S. Lambert-2
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 08:50:31AM +0200, Francesco Vollero wrote:

> Il giorno gio, 16/07/2009 alle 22.27 +0200, zexel ha scritto:
> > Jean-Frangois SIMON escribis:
> > > I just would like to thank the authors of the project documentation for its
> > > real quality.
> > >

> > OpenBSD manpages are the best out there without doubt.
> > A clear example of how thing should be done.
> >

> I agree. OpenBSD, RTFM Addicted! :)

There are a number of people who have posted on this and other mailing
lists that they'd like to contribute, but aren't programmers, or aren't
C programmers.

They are, however, admins and users, who've had to solve problems and
build infrastructures utilizing OpenBSD, and have gained valuable experience
and insight while doing so. This knowledge should be shared, but not in an
"OMG lets make a website to hold all of this" because that ends up being
someone having to put work into managing *that* instead of doing work or
learning something new, which they can subsequently share, etc.

For those who can't directly contribute with code, but have experience to
share, writing up hows and whys of what was done to achieve a goal using
OpenBSD can be useful to the community. I'm not talking about a quick
howto post on your blog; I'm talking about reading the FAQ and other
documentation, and using that as a yardstick for measuring whether or
not what you've written is worth sharing.

Just my 2 NOK.

Re: Thank you for the quality of the FAQ and MAN

Torbjoern Haarstad Orskaug
Speaking of outstanding documentation in the form of manual pages, why
do the preformatted GNU man pages have a right margin of ~66 characters,
while the BSD ones render nicely at about 80 characters? How would I
proceed to slap some "GNU" sense into the offending pages?

Re: Thank you for the quality of the FAQ and MAN

Jason McIntyre-2
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 05:28:40PM +0200, Torbj?rn H. Orskaug wrote:
> Speaking of outstanding documentation in the form of manual pages, why
> do the preformatted GNU man pages have a right margin of ~66 characters,
> while the BSD ones render nicely at about 80 characters?

i think this is probably just a difference between man pages written
using "man" macros (groff_man(7)) and those using "mdoc" macros
(mdoc(7)).

> How would I proceed to slap some "GNU" sense into the offending pages?

you can do this once you become Overlord Of The Cosmoverse.

jmc

Re: Thank you for the quality of the FAQ and MAN

Donald Allen
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:27:00PM +0200, zexel wrote:
>> OpenBSD manpages are the best out there without doubt.
>> A clear example of how thing should be done.

>I will agree with this.

As will I. After years of frustration with various Linux distributions
and wireless, I'd deferred dealing with wireless in OpenBSD, which I'm
now running on my two laptops.
But I reached a point where I had no choice but to get wireless
working with these machines. I was amazed by how quickly I was able to
do so (and that includes wap),
in part because the documentation is so good.

In general, the emphasis on quality of code and documentation in
OpenBSD (as opposed to quantity, the hallmark of the bloatware that
contaminates very nearly all of the
world's computers today, and that includes those running certain Linux
distributions), is something much appreciated by this user. I've tried
almost all of them (Windows,
multiple Linux distributions since Slackware in 1993, FreeBSD) and I
don't believe there is anything available today as good as OpenBSD
overall.

/Don Allen