TeXLIve dependency tests

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

TeXLIve dependency tests

Edd Barrett
Hi there,

I am in the process of swapping out teTeX for TeXLive for all ports
that depend upon teTeX. I would like to _try_ to get it done before
the 4.2 tag (when is that?). There are around 20 ports which require
testing. For a complete list see here:
http://students.dec.bmth.ac.uk/ebarrett/texlive/deptest.html

A developer suggested that I try to get maintainers involved for ports
that have maintainers. I have CC'd in the maintainers of the following
ports:
doc++
kile
pari
auctex
jadetex
lyx
mftrace
pscyr
lgrind

Would the maintainers mind testing the TeXLive port as a dependency of
thier ports instead of teTeX? If you are too busy, no worries, I can
test them, however it could take a bit longer. Either way if you could
drop me mail, so I know what to do that would be great.

Also if anyone knows why the following packages depend upon a TeX
distribution, please share the knowledge! This will make testing far
easier:
kdegraphics-3.5.7
kpovmodeller-3.5.7
kamera-3.5.7
ksane-3.5.7

Many Thanks
--
Best Regards

Edd

---------------------------------------------------
http://students.dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/ebarrett

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TeXLIve dependency tests

Edd Barrett
On 31/07/07, Edd Barrett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A developer suggested that I try to get maintainers involved for ports
> that have maintainers. I have CC'd in the maintainers of the following

Also I have return to sender on cannings@ (auctex). Is this individual
not developing anymore?

--
Best Regards

Edd

---------------------------------------------------
http://students.dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/ebarrett

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TeXLIve dependency tests

steven mestdagh
In reply to this post by Edd Barrett
Edd Barrett [2007-07-31, 09:35:26]:
> Hi there,
>
> I am in the process of swapping out teTeX for TeXLive for all ports
> that depend upon teTeX. I would like to _try_ to get it done before
> the 4.2 tag (when is that?). There are around 20 ports which require
> testing.

I don't want to discourage your efforts, but IMHO, it is ways too late to
get this done for 4.2. I mean, there is too little time left to test all
this stuff seriously on the various architectures.

--
steven

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TeXLIve dependency tests

Edd Barrett
Hi,

On 31/07/07, steven mestdagh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't want to discourage your efforts, but IMHO, it is ways too late to
> get this done for 4.2. I mean, there is too little time left to test all
> this stuff seriously on the various architectures.

Yes, especially as my new snapshot reports itself as 4.2-beta. It will
not make it for 4.2, but my intention still holds.

Never mind eh.

--
Best Regards

Edd

---------------------------------------------------
http://students.dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/ebarrett

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TeXLIve dependency tests

Marc Espie-2
On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 11:49:07AM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 31/07/07, steven mestdagh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I don't want to discourage your efforts, but IMHO, it is ways too late to
> > get this done for 4.2. I mean, there is too little time left to test all
> > this stuff seriously on the various architectures.
>
> Yes, especially as my new snapshot reports itself as 4.2-beta. It will
> not make it for 4.2, but my intention still holds.
>
> Never mind eh.
>
> --
> Best Regards
>
> Edd

Starting to ask by now is still a good idea, but yeah, TeX has always been
a big issue, since it's a large to huge port, and people tend to use it
on about any arch, and want it to work...

I know that it can be a bit frustrating, when you've been spending a lot of
effort on some stuff to see it not making the release...

I hope that you're in there for a longer time, Edd, and obviously, TeXlive
should be able to make 4.3 !

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TeXLIve dependency tests

Edd Barrett
Hi,

On 31/07/07, Marc Espie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Starting to ask by now is still a good idea, but yeah, TeX has always been
> a big issue, since it's a large to huge port, and people tend to use it
> on about any arch, and want it to work...

I plan to test only on i386 and sparc64, as these are the only arches
I have access to. My sparcs are slow. I'm saving for a new box as we
speak, but it probably wont be any time soon as I have a lot of
student debt to pay off.

>
> I know that it can be a bit frustrating, when you've been spending a lot of
> effort on some stuff to see it not making the release...

You win some, you lose some.

>
> I hope that you're in there for a longer time, Edd, and obviously, TeXlive
> should be able to make 4.3 !
>

I'll be around :P

--
Best Regards

Edd

---------------------------------------------------
http://students.dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/ebarrett

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TeXLIve dependency tests

Martin Schröder
In reply to this post by Marc Espie-2
2007/7/31, Marc Espie <[hidden email]>:
> I hope that you're in there for a longer time, Edd, and obviously, TeXlive
> should be able to make 4.3 !

TeXlive is released yearly at the start of the year. It would be a
good idea if 4.3 (which will be released 20080501) would have  TL2008,
not TL2007. This will be a lot easier if all the dependencies and
problems with TL are sorter out now instead of "later".

Best
   Martin

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TeXLIve dependency tests

Edd Barrett
In reply to this post by Edd Barrett
Hi,

On 01/08/07, Laurence Tratt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That makes 2 TeX using OpenBSD people at least at Bournemouth then.

This shocks me! Most members of staff here either dont use nix or are
into solaris.

Also looking at your web-site, I realise that I have not seen you
around campus. Are you new?

> Unfortunately I can't offer you root access to an amd64 box at the moment
> (that might change one day), but if it's of any help, I can offer to test
> your port on such a machine once you're happy with it on i386 and sparc64.

I would love some help with the i386 and sparc64 (and eventually
amd64) testing, as there are only so many hours in a day. Do you have
a sparc64 box? If not I might be able to get one set up on the uni
network.

Drop me a private email and we can have a chat.

--
Best Regards

Edd

---------------------------------------------------
http://students.dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/ebarrett