Symon on 5.6

Steven Shockley
I've installed Symon/Symux/Syweb on a 5.6 machine for testing.
Symon+Symux are up and running.  I installed apache-httpd-openbsd (at
least until I'm familiar with httpd), set up the virtual host, and I ran
the chroot enable script from rrdtool.

When I view configtest.php, I get the error:
apache or php setup faulty: cannot execute /usr/local/bin/rrdtool

For testing, I temporarily copied /bin/sh to /var/www/bin/sh, and it
started working.  Removing it breaks it again.

Should I need to copy sh to the chroot, or am I doing something else wrong?

Thanks.

Re: Symon on 5.6

Predrag Punosevac-2
Steve Shockley wrote:

> I've installed Symon/Symux/Syweb on a 5.6 machine for testing.
> Symon+Symux are up and running.  I installed apache-httpd-openbsd (at
> least until I'm familiar with httpd), set up the virtual host, and I ran
>
> the chroot enable script from rrdtool.
>
> When I view configtest.php, I get the error:
> apache or php setup faulty: cannot execute /usr/local/bin/rrdtool
>
> For testing, I temporarily copied /bin/sh to /var/www/bin/sh, and it
> started working.  Removing it breaks it again.
>
> Should I need to copy sh to the chroot, or am I doing something else
> wrong?
>
> Thanks.

I had the same question two months ago. To quote Antoine

That's not enough.
As documented in the rrdtool pkg-readme, you must do:
/usr/local/share/examples/rrdtool/rrdtool-chroot enable

You should look under /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/, it comes with a
*lot* of OpenBSD specific information..

It worked perfectly for me. Please check out whole thread

http://marc.info/?t=141576512700005&r=1&w=2

Cheers,
Predrag

Re: Symon on 5.6

Steven Shockley
On 1/14/2015 9:47 AM, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
>> and I ran
>> the chroot enable script from rrdtool.

> As documented in the rrdtool pkg-readme, you must do:
> /usr/local/share/examples/rrdtool/rrdtool-chroot enable
>
> You should look under /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/, it comes with a
> *lot* of OpenBSD specific information..

Thanks.  I did run rrd-chroot enable, and changed rrdtool_path in
setup.inc to /usr/local/bin/rrdtool (which is where rrdtool-chroot
copies it in the chroot).  Even with that, nothing worked until I
coincidentally copied /bin/sh to the chroot.

Maybe $this->exec($cmdline) in php (class_rrdtool.inc line 103) requires
sh?  But that wouldn't explain if it works for everyone else.

Re: Symon on 5.6

Christoph Borsbach-2
On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 21:24:15 -0500, Steve Shockley wrote:

> On 1/14/2015 9:47 AM, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> >>and I ran
> >>the chroot enable script from rrdtool.
>
> >As documented in the rrdtool pkg-readme, you must do:
> >/usr/local/share/examples/rrdtool/rrdtool-chroot enable
> >
> >You should look under /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/, it comes with a
> >*lot* of OpenBSD specific information..
>
> Thanks.  I did run rrd-chroot enable, and changed rrdtool_path in setup.inc
> to /usr/local/bin/rrdtool (which is where rrdtool-chroot copies it in the
> chroot).  Even with that, nothing worked until I coincidentally copied
> /bin/sh to the chroot.
>
> Maybe $this->exec($cmdline) in php (class_rrdtool.inc line 103) requires sh?
> But that wouldn't explain if it works for everyone else.

Hi,
for me, it didn't work as well. I (think I) did everything needed, including
rrdtool-chroot enable, and I had the same effect as you - no graphs. Only
after copying /bin/sh the graphs started working. I didn't do much
investigation though.
Oh and: I'm running nginx, if that matters.

Thanks and regards,
Christoph

Re: Symon on 5.6

karlis.mikelsons
Hello,

> for me, it didn't work as well. I (think I) did everything needed,
> including
> rrdtool-chroot enable, and I had the same effect as you - no graphs.
> Only
> after copying /bin/sh the graphs started working. I didn't do much
> investigation though.
> Oh and: I'm running nginx, if that matters.
Can you please share your nginx.conf?  I couldn't get Syweb to work with
Nginx no matter what I've tried.

Thanks!

Karlis

Re: Symon on 5.6

Christoph Borsbach-2
On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 10:56:35 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> >for me, it didn't work as well. I (think I) did everything needed,
> >including
> >rrdtool-chroot enable, and I had the same effect as you - no graphs. Only
> >after copying /bin/sh the graphs started working. I didn't do much
> >investigation though.
> >Oh and: I'm running nginx, if that matters.
> Can you please share your nginx.conf?  I couldn't get Syweb to work with
> Nginx no matter what I've tried.

I don't think it's the nginx.conf, the only thing I did was uncomment this
section...:

------8<-----------
# pass the PHP scripts to FastCGI server listening on 127.0.0.1:9000
#
location ~ \.php$ {
      root           /var/www/htdocs;
      fastcgi_pass   127.0.0.1:9000;
      fastcgi_index  index.php;
      fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME \
        $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
      include        fastcgi_params;
}
----->8---------

...after installing PHP.

Good luck,
Christoph

Re: Symon on 5.6

On 2015-01-15, Steve Shockley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/14/2015 9:47 AM, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
>>> and I ran
>>> the chroot enable script from rrdtool.
>
>> As documented in the rrdtool pkg-readme, you must do:
>> /usr/local/share/examples/rrdtool/rrdtool-chroot enable
>>
>> You should look under /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/, it comes with a
>> *lot* of OpenBSD specific information..
>
> Thanks.  I did run rrd-chroot enable, and changed rrdtool_path in
> setup.inc to /usr/local/bin/rrdtool (which is where rrdtool-chroot
> copies it in the chroot).  Even with that, nothing worked until I
> coincidentally copied /bin/sh to the chroot.
>
> Maybe $this->exec($cmdline) in php (class_rrdtool.inc line 103) requires
> sh?  But that wouldn't explain if it works for everyone else.

Various things in php (including the function to send mail) require /bin/sh.