Symbios Logic 53C1030 error

Sjöholm Per-Olov
Hi misc

I have a server with a on board Symbios Logic 53C1030. I have set up mirroring
and tried OpenBSD 3.8. When I start the installer and say I want the whole
disk for OpenBSD I can see:

"Putting all of sd0 into an active OpenBSD MBR partition (type
'A6')...fdisk:DIOCGDINFO: Input/output error"

dmesg output goes here:
(sorry for just attaching a part of it. I wrote it down by hand. I can if more
is needed fix this.)
mpt0 at pci2 dev8 function 0 "Symbios Logic 53c1030" rev 0x08: irq 11
mpt0: IM support: 6
scsibus0 at mpt0: 16 targets
sd0(mpt0:0:0): mpt0: timeout on request index=0xfe, seq=0x0000008a
mpt0: status 0x00000000, Mask 0x00000001, Doorbell 0x24000000
mpt0: request state: On chip
sd0: drive offline

However... I can still partion and install the OS (even though it says drive
offline). But the last partion in the table "e" which is /home (rest of the
disk) failed. When I skipped that I could install the OS. When the OS was up
I logged in to try to partition the rest of the disk as /home. When I did a
newfs on it it yelled about write error on block xxxxx. If I took a smaller
piece for /home it went ok. So far I thougt that there actually was some real
error on the disk. So I removed one disk at the time and reinstalled the OS
on a single disk. But it seems to yell for write errors on different places
(often near the last block). But the OS seems to work OK if only the
partitioning for the core OS partitions are OK.

When an error comes during a newfs it says:
sd0(mpt0:0:0): Check Condition (error 0x70) on opcode 0x2a
SENSE KEY: Illegal REquest
ASC/ASCQ: ASC 0x21 ASCQ 0x00
And then is also yell about the write error on block xxxx

What is happening here?

Thanks in advance
Per-Olov Sjvholm
--
GPG keyID: 4DB283CE
GPG fingerprint: 45E8 3D0E DE05 B714 D549 45BC CFB4 BBE9 4DB2 83CE

Re: Symbios Logic 53C1030 error

Marco Peereboom
You are using unsupported stuff.  OpenBSD will not support IM until someone
unslacks and adds it to the driver.

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 02:55:09PM +0100, Per-Olov Sjvholm wrote:

> Hi misc
>

> I have a server with a on board Symbios Logic 53C1030. I have set up mirroring
> and tried OpenBSD 3.8. When I start the installer and say I want the whole
> disk for OpenBSD I can see:
>
> "Putting all of sd0 into an active OpenBSD MBR partition (type
> 'A6')...fdisk:DIOCGDINFO: Input/output error"
>
> dmesg output goes here:
> (sorry for just attaching a part of it. I wrote it down by hand. I can if more
> is needed fix this.)
> mpt0 at pci2 dev8 function 0 "Symbios Logic 53c1030" rev 0x08: irq 11
> mpt0: IM support: 6
> scsibus0 at mpt0: 16 targets
> sd0(mpt0:0:0): mpt0: timeout on request index=0xfe, seq=0x0000008a
> mpt0: status 0x00000000, Mask 0x00000001, Doorbell 0x24000000
> mpt0: request state: On chip
> sd0: drive offline
>

> However... I can still partion and install the OS (even though it says drive
> offline). But the last partion in the table "e" which is /home (rest of the
> disk) failed. When I skipped that I could install the OS. When the OS was up
> I logged in to try to partition the rest of the disk as /home. When I did a
> newfs on it it yelled about write error on block xxxxx. If I took a smaller
> piece for /home it went ok. So far I thougt that there actually was some real
> error on the disk. So I removed one disk at the time and reinstalled the OS
> on a single disk. But it seems to yell for write errors on different places
> (often near the last block). But the OS seems to work OK if only the
> partitioning for the core OS partitions are OK.
>
> When an error comes during a newfs it says:
> sd0(mpt0:0:0): Check Condition (error 0x70) on opcode 0x2a
> SENSE KEY: Illegal REquest
> ASC/ASCQ: ASC 0x21 ASCQ 0x00
> And then is also yell about the write error on block xxxx
>

> What is happening here?
>

> Thanks in advance
> Per-Olov Sjvholm
> --
> GPG keyID: 4DB283CE
> GPG fingerprint: 45E8 3D0E DE05 B714 D549 45BC CFB4 BBE9 4DB2 83CE

Re: Symbios Logic 53C1030 error

Sjöholm Per-Olov
OK.

Thanks for the reply

B t w... What is "IM"?

Regards
Per-Olov

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 05.23, Marco Peereboom wrote:

> You are using unsupported stuff.  OpenBSD will not support IM until someone
> unslacks and adds it to the driver.
>
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 02:55:09PM +0100, Per-Olov Sjvholm wrote:
> > Hi misc
> >

> > I have a server with a on board Symbios Logic 53C1030. I have set up
> > mirroring and tried OpenBSD 3.8. When I start the installer and say I
> > want the whole disk for OpenBSD I can see:
> >
> > "Putting all of sd0 into an active OpenBSD MBR partition (type
> > 'A6')...fdisk:DIOCGDINFO: Input/output error"
> >
> > dmesg output goes here:
> > (sorry for just attaching a part of it. I wrote it down by hand. I can if
> > more is needed fix this.)
> > mpt0 at pci2 dev8 function 0 "Symbios Logic 53c1030" rev 0x08: irq 11
> > mpt0: IM support: 6
> > scsibus0 at mpt0: 16 targets
> > sd0(mpt0:0:0): mpt0: timeout on request index=0xfe, seq=0x0000008a
> > mpt0: status 0x00000000, Mask 0x00000001, Doorbell 0x24000000
> > mpt0: request state: On chip
> > sd0: drive offline
> >

> > However... I can still partion and install the OS (even though it says
> > drive offline). But the last partion in the table "e" which is /home
> > (rest of the disk) failed. When I skipped that I could install the OS.
> > When the OS was up I logged in to try to partition the rest of the disk
> > as /home. When I did a newfs on it it yelled about write error on block
> > xxxxx. If I took a smaller piece for /home it went ok. So far I thougt
> > that there actually was some real error on the disk. So I removed one
> > disk at the time and reinstalled the OS on a single disk. But it seems to
> > yell for write errors on different places (often near the last block).
> > But the OS seems to work OK if only the partitioning for the core OS
> > partitions are OK.
> >
> > When an error comes during a newfs it says:
> > sd0(mpt0:0:0): Check Condition (error 0x70) on opcode 0x2a
> > SENSE KEY: Illegal REquest
> > ASC/ASCQ: ASC 0x21 ASCQ 0x00
> > And then is also yell about the write error on block xxxx
> >

> > What is happening here?
> >

> > Thanks in advance
> > Per-Olov Sjvholm
> > --
> > GPG keyID: 4DB283CE
> > GPG fingerprint: 45E8 3D0E DE05 B714 D549 45BC CFB4 BBE9 4DB2 83CE

Re: Symbios Logic 53C1030 error

J.D. Bronson
At 12:21 AM 11/08/2005, Per-Olov Sjvholm wrote:
>OK.
>
>Thanks for the reply
>
>B t w... What is "IM"?
>

>Regards
>Per-Olov

Integrated Mirroring.
LSI cards that I tested work fine under OBSD, but
not the IM support. It is not there yet. If you
can -even- get it to mirror, performance is quite sub par. (at this point)

HTH

-JD

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 13.07, J.D. Bronson wrote:

> At 12:21 AM 11/08/2005, Per-Olov Sjvholm wrote:
> >OK.
> >
> >Thanks for the reply
> >
> >B t w... What is "IM"?
> >

> >Regards
> >Per-Olov
>
> Integrated Mirroring.
> LSI cards that I tested work fine under OBSD, but
> not the IM support. It is not there yet. If you
> can -even- get it to mirror, performance is quite sub par. (at this point)
>
> HTH
>
> -JD

Yes it *seems* to work ok if I use the disks as single disks without mirroring
or striping. Do you think there are any drawbacks with the card if I just
skip mirroring?  Can you trust the card? Is it just if IM is set up that
causes problem?

Thanks in advance
Per-Olov

At 09:30 AM 11/08/2005, Per-Olov Sjvholm wrote:

>On Tuesday 08 November 2005 13.07, J.D. Bronson wrote:
> > At 12:21 AM 11/08/2005, Per-Olov Sjvholm wrote:
> > >OK.
> > >
> > >Thanks for the reply
> > >
> > >B t w... What is "IM"?
> > >

> > >Regards
> > >Per-Olov
> >
> > Integrated Mirroring.
> > LSI cards that I tested work fine under OBSD, but
> > not the IM support. It is not there yet. If you
> > can -even- get it to mirror, performance is quite sub par. (at this point)
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > -JD
>
>Yes it *seems* to work ok if I use the disks as
>single disks without mirroring
>or striping. Do you think there are any drawbacks with the card if I just
>skip mirroring?  Can you trust the card? Is it just if IM is set up that
>causes problem?

I dont recall *any* issue with running these
cards under openbsd as long as the mirror was not used.
There was no drawback. As an alternative...if you
use equal disks, you can slice and dice them (the
same as the main one) and then run rsync as often
as you like to create a pseudo 'offline' mirror.
Thats what I do with IDE machines....and the nice
thing, is that unlike a mirror...if I delete
something I can still grab it off the 2nd drive
as long as I hit it before the cron rsync runs :-)

If I did have any issue (I really cant recall) it
would be on the mailing list archives.

-JD

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 16.55, J.D. Bronson wrote:

> At 09:30 AM 11/08/2005, Per-Olov Sjvholm wrote:

> > > Integrated Mirroring.
> > > LSI cards that I tested work fine under OBSD, but
> > > not the IM support. It is not there yet. If you
> > > can -even- get it to mirror, performance is quite sub par. (at this
> > > point)
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > -JD
> >
> >Yes it *seems* to work ok if I use the disks as
> >single disks without mirroring
> >or striping. Do you think there are any drawbacks with the card if I just
> >skip mirroring?  Can you trust the card? Is it just if IM is set up that
> >causes problem?
>
> I dont recall *any* issue with running these
> cards under openbsd as long as the mirror was not used.
> There was no drawback. As an alternative...if you
> use equal disks, you can slice and dice them (the
> same as the main one) and then run rsync as often
> as you like to create a pseudo 'offline' mirror.
> Thats what I do with IDE machines....and the nice
> thing, is that unlike a mirror...if I delete
> something I can still grab it off the 2nd drive
> as long as I hit it before the cron rsync runs :-)
>
> If I did have any issue (I really cant recall) it
> would be on the mailing list archives.
>
> -JD

Yes, this is probably the second best option.

(B t w. fix your faulty spam protection that rejects mail from static IP
blocks as dynamic...)
Thanks for your information
Regards
/Per-Olov
--
GPG keyID: 4DB283CE
GPG fingerprint: 45E8 3D0E DE05 B714 D549 45BC CFB4 BBE9 4DB2 83CE

Re: Symbios Logic 53C1030 error

Henning Brauer
* Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]> [2005-11-08 05:27]:
> You are using unsupported stuff.  OpenBSD will not support IM until someone
> unslacks and adds it to the driver.

so finally do it - you have been promising that to our users for two
releases now.

Re: Symbios Logic 53C1030 error

Henning Brauer
* Henning Brauer <[hidden email]> [2005-11-09 13:19]:
> * Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]> [2005-11-08 05:27]:
> > You are using unsupported stuff.  OpenBSD will not support IM until someone
> > unslacks and adds it to the driver.
> so finally do it - you have been promising that to our users for two
> releases now.

oups, thas was not supposed to go to the list

--
BS Web Services, http://www.bsws.de/
OpenBSD-based Webhosting, Mail Services, Managed Servers, ...