Switch to LLVM 10 imminent

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Switch to LLVM 10 imminent

Christian Weisgerber
I don't think there was any public announcement, but most will have
surmised it by now: The base compiler will soon switch from LLVM 8
to LLVM 10 on all CLANG_ARCHS.  This also concerns the linker on
LLD_ARCHS.

This will cause a certain amount of breakage in the ports tree.
We are working on it now.

I have uploaded the failure logs from early builds at
http://build-failures.rhaalovely.net/amd64-clang/

Note that the devel/pango failure prevented GTK and Qt and thus a
huge chunk of the tree from building.  More meaningful logs should
appear within 24 hours.

Principal sources of build failures:
* C++ incompatibilities, as always.
* Use of -Werror breaking on new warnings.
* Linking errors.

There are also silly problems such as configure scripts misrecognizing
LLVM 10 due to changes in the output of "cc -v" or "cc -dumpversion".

Anyway, I would like to encourage more people to join into the effort.
(And yes, I'm aware that there's no publically available snapshot
or patchset with LLVM 10...)

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch to LLVM 10 imminent

Raymond E. Pasco
On Sat Aug 1, 2020 at 4:14 PM EDT, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> I have uploaded the failure logs from early builds at
> http://build-failures.rhaalovely.net/amd64-clang/

games/gzdoom may be fixable by updating the port to 4.4.x, which removes
the offending line.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch to LLVM 10 imminent

Timo Myyrä-6
"Raymond E. Pasco" <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sat Aug 1, 2020 at 4:14 PM EDT, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>> I have uploaded the failure logs from early builds at
>> http://build-failures.rhaalovely.net/amd64-clang/
>
> games/gzdoom may be fixable by updating the port to 4.4.x, which removes
> the offending line.

Yeah, I've been looking at updating the port but its a bigger
process. They split the music backend to separate project ZMusic project
which needs to be built for gzdoom update.

timo

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch to LLVM 10 imminent

Christian Weisgerber
In reply to this post by Christian Weisgerber
On 2020-08-01, Christian Weisgerber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have uploaded the failure logs from early builds at
> http://build-failures.rhaalovely.net/amd64-clang/

There's a new 2020-08-01/ subdirectory with the results from the
latest build.  With pango fixed, nearly the complete ports tree
built.  The remaining failures are:

cad/qcad
databases/pgadmin3
devel/py-llvmlite,python3
devel/rttr
emulators/dolphin
emulators/ppsspp
games/fs2open
games/godot
games/gzdoom
geo/osrm-backend
graphics/dia
lang/crystal
mail/kopano/core
mail/rspamd
net/bro
net/libtorrent-rasterbar
print/scribus
productivity/aqbanking
textproc/wkhtmltopdf
www/firefox-esr
www/mozilla-firefox
www/netsurf/libcss
x11/gnustep/back
x11/gnustep/renaissance

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch to LLVM 10 imminent

Julian Smith
In reply to this post by Christian Weisgerber
I'd like to try llvm-10 (latest git master), but when i try to build on
OpenBSD-6.7 (amd64), but i get build failures such as:

llvm-project/libcxxabi/../libcxx/include/__config:1150:6: error: "No thread API").

Is there a set of patches somewhere that i can use?

[ports/lang/clang/ doesn't seem to have anything relevant.]

Thanks,

- Jules


On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 22:14:03 +0200
Christian Weisgerber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think there was any public announcement, but most will have
> surmised it by now: The base compiler will soon switch from LLVM 8
> to LLVM 10 on all CLANG_ARCHS.  This also concerns the linker on
> LLD_ARCHS.
>
> This will cause a certain amount of breakage in the ports tree.
> We are working on it now.
>
> I have uploaded the failure logs from early builds at
> http://build-failures.rhaalovely.net/amd64-clang/
>
> Note that the devel/pango failure prevented GTK and Qt and thus a
> huge chunk of the tree from building.  More meaningful logs should
> appear within 24 hours.
>
> Principal sources of build failures:
> * C++ incompatibilities, as always.
> * Use of -Werror breaking on new warnings.
> * Linking errors.
>
> There are also silly problems such as configure scripts misrecognizing
> LLVM 10 due to changes in the output of "cc -v" or "cc -dumpversion".
>
> Anyway, I would like to encourage more people to join into the effort.
> (And yes, I'm aware that there's no publically available snapshot
> or patchset with LLVM 10...)
>



--
http://op59.net


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch to LLVM 10 imminent

Kurt Mosiejczuk-9
On Mon, Aug 03, 2020 at 08:58:44AM +0100, Julian Smith wrote:
> I'd like to try llvm-10 (latest git master), but when i try to build on
> OpenBSD-6.7 (amd64), but i get build failures such as:

> llvm-project/libcxxabi/../libcxx/include/__config:1150:6: error: "No thread API").

> Is there a set of patches somewhere that i can use?

> [ports/lang/clang/ doesn't seem to have anything relevant.]

It's in tree today. So you can either try compiling it from in-tree, or
await a snapshot with it.

--Kurt

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch to LLVM 10 imminent

Patrick Wildt-3
In reply to this post by Julian Smith
Keep note that our base libc++ and libc++abi are still from version
8.0.1.  This means that it's very possible that version 10 is not
yet correctly patched to support OpenBSD.  Or maybe they added
something that is incompatible to us.

On Mon, Aug 03, 2020 at 08:58:44AM +0100, Julian Smith wrote:

> I'd like to try llvm-10 (latest git master), but when i try to build on
> OpenBSD-6.7 (amd64), but i get build failures such as:
>
> llvm-project/libcxxabi/../libcxx/include/__config:1150:6: error: "No thread API").
>
> Is there a set of patches somewhere that i can use?
>
> [ports/lang/clang/ doesn't seem to have anything relevant.]
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Jules
>
>
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 22:14:03 +0200
> Christian Weisgerber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I don't think there was any public announcement, but most will have
> > surmised it by now: The base compiler will soon switch from LLVM 8
> > to LLVM 10 on all CLANG_ARCHS.  This also concerns the linker on
> > LLD_ARCHS.
> >
> > This will cause a certain amount of breakage in the ports tree.
> > We are working on it now.
> >
> > I have uploaded the failure logs from early builds at
> > http://build-failures.rhaalovely.net/amd64-clang/
> >
> > Note that the devel/pango failure prevented GTK and Qt and thus a
> > huge chunk of the tree from building.  More meaningful logs should
> > appear within 24 hours.
> >
> > Principal sources of build failures:
> > * C++ incompatibilities, as always.
> > * Use of -Werror breaking on new warnings.
> > * Linking errors.
> >
> > There are also silly problems such as configure scripts misrecognizing
> > LLVM 10 due to changes in the output of "cc -v" or "cc -dumpversion".
> >
> > Anyway, I would like to encourage more people to join into the effort.
> > (And yes, I'm aware that there's no publically available snapshot
> > or patchset with LLVM 10...)
> >
>
>
>
> --
> http://op59.net
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch to LLVM 10 imminent

Christian Weisgerber
In reply to this post by Christian Weisgerber
The base system has officially switched to LLVM 10.  Snapshots with
the new compiler are available.

Right now I'm signing and uploading the first set of official amd64
snapshot packages built with LLVM 10.

Logs from the remaining build failure:
http://build-failures.rhaalovely.net/amd64/2020-08-03/

cad/qcad
databases/pgadmin3
devel/py-llvmlite
devel/rttr
emulators/dolphin
emulators/ppsspp
games/fs2open
games/gzdoom
geo/osrm-backend
graphics/dia
mail/kopano/core
mail/rspamd
net/bro
net/libtorrent-rasterbar
print/scribus
productivity/aqbanking
www/firefox-esr
www/mozilla-firefox
www/netsurf/libcss
x11/gnustep/back
x11/gnustep/renaissance

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switch to LLVM 10 imminent

Daniel Dickman
On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 6:41 PM Christian Weisgerber <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> The base system has officially switched to LLVM 10.  Snapshots with
> the new compiler are available.
>
> Right now I'm signing and uploading the first set of official amd64
> snapshot packages built with LLVM 10.
>
> Logs from the remaining build failure:
> http://build-failures.rhaalovely.net/amd64/2020-08-03/
>
> emulators/dolphin
> games/gzdoom

These two should be 1-liner fixes. See:

https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glslang/pull/2010/commits/24b3e8384e93f3e73b6aa14ea00a30574112f9ba

maintainers for those ports cc'd.